proud owner of a 2002 focus svt...PLEASE HELP - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93352
What I Drive: 2002 silver svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 bah200018 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
proud owner of a 2002 focus svt...PLEASE HELP

Hey everyone, from what I gather on here so far you guys genuinely care about helping others...congrats on that, now for me...
I purchased a 2002 focus svt from a used dealership for 4800$. I may have over paid, but as soon as I drove the car i fell in love with it. I have owned 3 miatas, and a z32 300zx, and I can say that its like having the best of both worlds. The acceleration is awesome, and the handling is amazingly responsive...I just had to have it...unfortunately so did 9 other people before me...:( wich brings me to my next point....
As many of you know the catalytic converter on the svt sits pretty low, I guess a previous owner smashed a curb or something because when i bought the car the check engine light was on...it was giving me both o2 censor codes...after inspecting the cat I learned someone had actually hit something hard enough to crush the o2 censors against the motor and cv shaft...I then learned magnaflow carries a cat for the car that relocates the o2 censors to the side and cost less then 200$, compared to the oem one from ford (2000$ where I live)...:) great job guys...I was in the process of ordering this when I was on my way home one night and heard the motor start to tap...I looked at all of the gauges and everything was fine, however, by the time I got home the engine was knocking...and this is just 2 days ago...I have owned the car for 2 months and had to replace the front struts, alternator, and starter...dont get me wrong I LOVE this car, and plan to take very good care of it...with that i shall continue...I called my dad who has worked on cars his whole life and he said it sounded like i spun a main bearing...At this point I'd have to pull the motor, buy a rebuild kit, and be down a while...my other option, find a used low mileage engine. By the grace of god I found Matt at Speedway Recyclers and he sold me a 40,000 mile engine,complete, for 1700$ out the door and on a truck. Now for the part where i need help. I'm not mechanically dumbfounded, but I know this car is very advanced, and while i did a motor job on my 300 and miata, this car is a little intimidating...ANY advice on the best way to pull the motor is greatly appreciated guys...also I have NEVER done a clutch like the one in the focus (another scary moment for me) any help on what would be the BEST, not necessarily the easiest, would be appreciated...also any advice on things to inspect while I'm digging around would be great to...thanks so much in advance and I hope I'm able to fix my baby and get her back on the road soon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63209
What I Drive: 04svt 02svt

Points 789, Level 14
Points: 789, Level: 14 Points: 789, Level: 14 Points: 789, Level: 14
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 fakitol Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
How you know it's tapping? These are loud engines (injectors). Put 91+ octance fuel otherwise it will knock.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17442
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3/2015 Fiesta ST

Points 3,534, Level 37
Points: 3,534, Level: 37 Points: 3,534, Level: 37 Points: 3,534, Level: 37
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 InfraRedSVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I know that motor!! I work at Matt's yard part time. When I do them, I drop the engine/trans together out the bottom. If at any time you have questions during the process, don't hesitate to give Matt a call, he can be very helpful. We specialize in Focuses, and spend lots of time with the SVT's.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90927
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 SonicZXIII Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraRedSVTF View Post
I know that motor!! I work at Matt's yard part time. When I do them, I drop the engine/trans together out the bottom. If at any time you have questions during the process, don't hesitate to give Matt a call, he can be very helpful. We specialize in Focuses, and spend lots of time with the SVT's.
yes ive dropped one before. tried to go up my buddies idea....just too much in the way. its much better to remove it from the bottom i believe there are a few build thread that detail the removal of the engine/and clutch with clutch replacement... ill see if i cant locate that
Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

thanks guys

I appreciate the timely response and am grateful for all the advice. To the first reponse, I know its a knock not injectors because it sounds like someone is slamming the block with a hammer...to the other guys, I was thinking the bottom was gonna be best as well, anything i should do extra while the motor is out?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Points 3,534, Level 37
Level Up 23% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
If the clutch/flywheel hasn't already been replaced with the updated parts, I would do that. In 2002 and most of 2003, they used a 9" clutch, and they were found to be weak. The flywheels on those liked to explode and tear a gaping hole in the bellhousing. After that they went to a 9 9/16" clutch, and a stronger flywheel, and they seemed to hold up much better. Just FYI, the clutch and flywheel should always be replaced together on these cars.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

flywheel

Is it not possible to just have the flywheel resurfaced? Also where would the best place be to get the whole thing if not, the cheap one from autozone without flywheel is 589$ just the clutch kit
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

I don't mean to sound lazy, I just wanna make sure I'm getting parts for my car that will last, and I figure who would know better then the people who have used them...
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Points 3,534, Level 37
Level Up 23% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The SVTF has a dual mass flywheel, and it cannot be resurfaced.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 46561
What I Drive: 10 Forte DD,Comp SVTF, 14 Fiesta ST

Points 16,375, Level 82
Points: 16,375, Level: 82 Points: 16,375, Level: 82 Points: 16,375, Level: 82
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PumkinSvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah200018 View Post
Is it not possible to just have the flywheel resurfaced? Also where would the best place be to get the whole thing if not, the cheap one from autozone without flywheel is 589$ just the clutch kit
I got a luk clutch kit with 8k on it. I don't need it no more since am upgrading it. PM me.

Sent from my PC36100 using FF Mobile

HKS||Garrett||TopSpeed||Tial||Massive||

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.