V8/V6 Engine Swap - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12619
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 the illest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
V8/V6 Engine Swap

Ok, I'm not planning on doing this soon... seeing as I won't be able to afford it anytime soon... but I was thinking of doing it once I hit 125-150k miles (halfway there).

Anyways, could anybody tell me exactly what would be needed for a V8 Engine Swap in a 2000 ZX3? I've found sites such as http://www.ford-v8-focus.com/ and http://www.tcf-v8-focus-conversions.com/ but I don't know if I'll need every item under their product list. :-\ Also, are there any cars that are compatible that I could swap parts from (such as I've heard the rear axle from a Mustang)?

I also want to know about a V6 swap so that I can compare and decide so I know how I need to start saving.

Also, could you guys give me a total price estimate for the two??? Including labor... wow, I'm asking a lot. heh

Thanks to those who respond...

P.S. Yeah, I did try to search, but I never really found a list of everything you would need for a swap.. therefore I'm asking.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I'm wanting this to be a legal daily driver.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The legal daily driver thing may not be possible in your state if you have emissions testing (or will be having it return due to EPA mandate). They will take a look at your VIN, determine it should have a 2.0L Zetec engine in it, and the promptly fialy you for running something other than what the OEM has in the car. You would most likely have to apply for an exception, but that is something you would have to take up with the DMV.

Go to www.fordracing.com and look under their performance parts division. The Fast Focus catalogue has all of the V8 components you could need and people to contact about specifics. Haven't seen to much mainstream press about the V6, so I can't help you there.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12619
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 the illest Good Standing Member
Well, does anybody know anything about Missouri and emissions testing? I tried looking through the statutes because that's about the only thing I could find and I think I've figured out that we have it here... but that's about it.

I also found this..
"A 98 special const. car in MO has to pass the same emission tests as a 1978 passenger car. If you remember, 79 was the first year you had to have cats. We had no problems with inspection, except for the bumpers. Todd FFR 1388 " - http://www.erareplicas.com/statereg.htm#Missouri

Does anybody know if that's true and if it'd apply to a car that just had the engine and whatnot replaced? And also for a 2000 of course.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12352
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SE w/ Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 ChrisTopia Good Standing Member
Bump...
Old 10-12-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8571
What I Drive: red 03 FSVT zx5, 95 eclipse GST

FF Reputation: 1 xgambit Good Standing Member
ask v6focus. hes a FF member that has a v6 in his focus. click here for his profile.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:09 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2262
What I Drive: Waiting For The Cobras Point By....

FF Reputation: 13 CDSilver5DoorSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (39)
Well, there is going to be a huge difference in price first off.........looking at roughly $3500.00 to do a V6 swap, 200 hp SVT contour engine, FWD and very emmisons freindly Labor included.............The V8 is going to vary.........I've heard up to $7000.00 for the kit, plus your drivetrain, depending on the drivetrain it's going to be somewhere between another 2000-?????........????HP RWD and not a snowball chance in hell passing emmisions, then you have all the labor to do it........
Old 10-12-2004, 11:58 PM   #7
I miss my Turbo SVTF

Fan#: 6849
What I Drive: 1988 Mazda 323 GTX

FF Reputation: 1 Darth Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Does the V6 Motor "bolt in"? Does the mount line up with our stock mount? Getting it in there and in place seems the hardest..also, I assume you use the V6 Trans...so what axels do you use? Does it require new hubs, etc.?

I have access to a 2.5 V6, just need to get it here..
Corksport IC, CFDF Clutch, 2.5" Turboback, Konis,
Suspension Tech Springs, 22mm Rear Sway, + More.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12352
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SE w/ Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 ChrisTopia Good Standing Member
Yeah... I couldent give a crap about emissions because I live in MI. I have an auto, would I have to get anything that would cost me more than the $3500?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2262
What I Drive: Waiting For The Cobras Point By....

FF Reputation: 13 CDSilver5DoorSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (39)
LoJack.......It is not a bolt in, mounts are different, axles need modified, majority of the stuff is custom or you need off a v6 car. You can not do this swap by simply buying and engine, and then a trans, and then this and that..........you have to have a whole doner car to do a v6 swap.......I've been through it, completed it successfully, and trying to help you out and save you alot of problems and alot of wasted money...........you have asked me these questions before and I have answered them, this is a very intensive swap, and that's the reason there has only been 3 done........I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to help you out........I'm not saying you can't do it, just telling you what you need to do it..........

Chris...........Basiclly the $3500.00 is if someone was to let us do the swap for them........$3500.00 will include parts and our labor to do it......if you take it to someone else, the labor will jump up some........
Old 10-13-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 795
What I Drive: Pitch black '03 Ford Focus ZX3

Points 3,912, Level 39
Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39 Points: 3,912, Level: 39
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Templar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
V6focus how much power do you put out?

"The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
- Boondock Saints

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.