2002 ford focus se sohc to dohc - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86582
What I Drive: 2005, Black, ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 jester547 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2002 ford focus se sohc to dohc

I have read and searched, but no one seemed to have the same scenario as me. I have a 02 focus with a blown sohc. I know the wiring harness needs to be changed along with the ecu/ ignition. I know that my transmission (4f27e) will bolt up to the dohc fine. The only things I need clarification on are the motor mounts and the shafts. Which if any of the motor mounts will I need to change, also it made sense to me that if I'm only changing the engine that the transmission and attached parts would work the same. Could there be any other problems I may have.
The big reason for this project is that I can't afford a nicer car, but a hobby of mine is fixing cars. Also I've had engine troubles in the past with another vehicle and as soon as I heard the sohc had engine problems (valve seat dropping) the engine type sounded like a money pit. Not to mention it's a grand to get a 200k sohc engine from the wreckers were I'm located. Thanks ahead of time for any help. ( I just wanted to be really sure of the project before I invest time and money into it)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Change all 3 mounts.

Change the axles.

Use the MTX75.

Make sure you get everything from a 02+ Zetec. Makes the swap easier. This way you don't need to change the dash wiring.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 07-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Why do some people say it's as easy as changing the harness and the ecu. I don't want a manual transmission. I'm trying to do this for as cheap as possible so getting all the parts from the front end of a dohc is not an option. I need to know exactly what I'll need. I wish there was a definitive answer no offense to you Kauai Guy, but the forum says certain things and you say different. Makes me weary. Anyway from what I've gathered from the forum and other sources I will need to change the following:
the ecu and harness
the ignition switch to match the ecu with matching chipped key (although I thought chipped keys were optional)
I've read that the 4f27e will bolt up to the dohc engine. why the shafts would need to be different doesn't make much sense. After looking at rockauto.com they have the same shafts and bearings listed for both engines. Also I looked at the only motor mount they sell for both and there's minimal difference. Although like it's been said everywhere at least one of the mounts will need to be changed.(good thing i have a mig welder)
Old 07-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Stuff about Florida

Fan#: 67230
What I Drive: 2002 Mazda Protegé ES

FF Reputation: 7 FuhFuh Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
If you have an automatic right now that should bolt up to the zetec just fine.

Even if you were going to a MTX75 as long as you had an auto they use the same axles.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Awesome thanks for confirming. Now for the motor mount(s). I know one of them bolts on. But the other 3 I'm guessing weld on or do they bolt on. Any tips for mounting the dohc engine I'd presume this will require some custom work. Also if the ecu I'm swapping in doesn't have a chipped key will I be able to leave the old ignition switch alone.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I didn't realize you had an auto. I don't know the transmissions codes well.

There is only 3 motor mounts. Technically 2, and the 3rd is a dogbone that goes from the trans to the front subframe.

The passenger engine mount IS. DIFFERENT.

The driver side mount (under the battery) I'm not too sure. But I would just change it anyways since it bolts to the trans. When I did my SVT swap the black bracket was different and needed to be trimmed. The studs coming from the car were longer on the SVT. Just saying this as an example.

Now, if you are changing only the engine, you will need a automatic zetec ecu, all the engine bay wiring (from the driver side junction plug behind the splash shield, all the way through the engine bay to the ecu on the passenger side.

Just be sure to get an auto zetec from 02+. I think 00-01 used a different GEM and the plugs that go to the ECU were a different style. If you get an auto zetec ecu and engine from a 00-01, you will need to swap almost all the wiring.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go to the local ford dealership to talk to one of the techies to 100% confirm everything. I'll post pics (lots) when I start the project.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87467
What I Drive: 2004 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 1 Felker2007 Good Standing Member
jester547, I'm actually in the process of doing the same motor swap as you. I picked up a 2003 SE with the 2.0L SPI that dropped a valve seat. These SPI motors are really over priced in my opinion (mileage compared to $$) at least in my area. I'm going to be putting in a 2.0L Ztech out of a 2003 in place of the SPI. I'll try to keep my progress up on here, I've already got the motor out of the car just waiting to pick up the Ztech.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

If you need any wiring harness or anything else just let me know. I have access to On demand so I have tons of info. Lets try and make a thread greater than this one Bad Weekend. Also check out http://car-part.com/ they list parts from wreckers all over north America. For instance there's a 2002 engine in rome ( about an hour and a half from you) for $400 with only 28k miles on it. (it's at Don's Auto Recycling Center, Inc. ) I'm lucky cuz i found a wrecker here that will deal, he quoted me $250 for a engine if i buy the ecu and wiring harness as well. Oh and I went to the dealership today, they had no idea about the mounts ( they said they'd be different, but he didn't know which once specifically). But they cleared up the key problem. You won't need the original key from the new ecu to program it to the old key. The service guy said it's 99 bucks to get it reprogrammed. So I gotta see if a local place can do it for cheaper.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87467
What I Drive: 2004 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 1 Felker2007 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester547 View Post
If you need any wiring harness or anything else just let me know. I have access to On demand so I have tons of info. Lets try and make a thread greater than this one Bad Weekend. Also check out http://car-part.com/ they list parts from wreckers all over north America. For instance there's a 2002 engine in rome ( about an hour and a half from you) for $400 with only 28k miles on it. (it's at Don's Auto Recycling Center, Inc. ) I'm lucky cuz i found a wrecker here that will deal, he quoted me $250 for a engine if i buy the ecu and wiring harness as well. Oh and I went to the dealership today, they had no idea about the mounts ( they said they'd be different, but he didn't know which once specifically). But they cleared up the key problem. You won't need the original key from the new ecu to program it to the old key. The service guy said it's 99 bucks to get it reprogrammed. So I gotta see if a local place can do it for cheaper.
I'd be willing to help you with a how to guide that would clear up future issues on this swap. zI too have access to on-demand and I actually used car-parts.com to find my motor from a local salvage yard. This isn't necessarily the best way to locate a used motor, but this time it worked out in my favor. On the reprogramming of the ECU this makes sense because this is how we did a charger at work. Granted there were alot more issues with this swap then you or I will have with doing the SPI to Ztech. We swapped the 3.5L out of his STX for a 6.1L check it out http://www.thejunctioninc.com/mainGa...artYear=2007-1

EDIT: One other thing, I took the motor out the bottom with the suspension and wheels still on the ground. Essentially I just picked the body of the car off of the engine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.