New to all this... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 71420
What I Drive: 2010 Black SES, 1991 Toyota MR2

FF Reputation: 1 MR_2FAST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New to all this...

I just got a 2010 focus and I have always been a toyota guy, so all this ford stuff is jibber jabber to me still. My main question is what are the best engine swaps to do, because this car is frickin slow... i did some searching around and the best motors I could find are the 151hp 2.3l duratec and the 170hp 2.0l dtec. Is there anything else better that could swap into this car without serious modification? Can these motors even be swapped in? Or is the motor I have Capable of putting out reliable power? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 53,445, Level 100
Points: 53,445, Level: 100 Points: 53,445, Level: 100 Points: 53,445, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 45%
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
What you have is a good engine and loves to be modded , there just isnt a lot out there for the o10 at this time

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70954
What I Drive: 2004 focus zx3, 2.3L Duratec, white

FF Reputation: 1 iHasAFocuS Good Standing Member
LoL let me get this straight. you just bought a 2010 focus and you want to swap the engine? GET REAL. lol, besides as 1turbofocus said, "What you have is a good engine and loves to be modded" is all true. Welcome to FF
D23 crew -#190
Old 12-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65491
What I Drive: 07 Red Focus SES GFX II pkg.

FF Reputation: 1 lucrative75 Good Standing Member
Did you test drive the car before you bought it?, When you realized the car was "slow" what were your reasons for buying the car....gas mpg...reliability...etc. You should have test driven other cars, and if you did, there must have been something about the car you found appealing. Get a turbo put in, cold air intake and exhaust. These are good mods to use. Good luck
Old 12-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_2FAST View Post
I did some searching around and the best motors I could find are the 151hp 2.3l duratec and the 170hp 2.0l dtec.
You do relize that is the engine you got in your car? Did you get an automatic tranny? If so that would be what I'd look into swaping. Then get a tune, turbo, and suspension.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
You do relize that is the engine you got in your car? Did you get an automatic tranny? If so that would be what I'd look into swaping. Then get a tune, turbo, and suspension.
So the svt motor is the same as the motor in the 2010? (besides the 30hp difference) And it is a 5 speed wouldnt have got it if it wasnt :) And yes I do like the way it looks and the way it drives and of course the gas mileage. I just want to start having fun with it already. how about what kind of things should I be looking at to get around 220hp?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
SVT motor was a 2.0L Zetec with better compression, intake and exhaust, VCT, some other goodies. 170bhp, usually around 145-150 or so at the wheels I think.

Anyway don't worry about engine swaps, they are generally uneconomical for our cars especially since you have one of the better engines, there are turbo kits out there that will put you over 200hp easily. I hope you have a manual trans though or it involves more work. Actually I just saw you got the 5-speed, you won't have problems then. Turbo kit is the quickest and probably cheapest way to get there. Other than that, throw on a stiff suspension and you'll be amazed at what this car can do.

Did you have a 3sgte by any chance? Why oh why would you swap to a Focus?
They are a different kind of fun though when you start putting parts on.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 12-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcl2049 View Post
SVT motor was a 2.0L Zetec with better compression, intake and exhaust, VCT, some other goodies. 170bhp, usually around 145-150 or so at the wheels I think.

Anyway don't worry about engine swaps, they are generally uneconomical for our cars especially since you have one of the better engines, there are turbo kits out there that will put you over 200hp easily. I hope you have a manual trans though or it involves more work. Actually I just saw you got the 5-speed, you won't have problems then. Turbo kit is the quickest and probably cheapest way to get there. Other than that, throw on a stiff suspension and you'll be amazed at what this car can do.

Did you have a 3sgte by any chance? Why oh why would you swap to a Focus?
They are a different kind of fun though when you start putting parts on.
yes it is a manual, and I still have my MR2 and 3sgte, will never get rid of it, unless im getting another mr2
So who makes good turbo kits for Focus'?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.