My V6 transplant log - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7314
What I Drive: '02 Liquid Grey ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 covert1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
My V6 transplant log

I figured I needed to start posting some pictures here, if only to expose this project to a larger audience in case I have questions to ask. For starters, I've driven Focuses for over 9 years and currently own three of them. I've always handled basic maintenance and have learned a few more things from others, like brake work and suspension installs, and only recently have I started to go beyond that... to the realm of swapping engines and wiring.

As it stands, I have my daily driver, aka 'Olde Faithful'

I bought the formerly Focussalvage V6 ZX3:

And I acquired another wagon back in July:

The green wagon, unfortunately, had the SPI in it... and, since valve seat dropping is a common theme nowadays, sure as hell, a couple weeks ago it happened to me. Had 131K on the clock.

While it ultimately doesn't matter that the SPI died, it pissed me off because I hoped to get a little more life out of it before removing it in favor of a V6...

So, why did I begin this journey? Well, the blue ZX3 was never quite right from the beginning. That's on me, however, due to general ignorance and just being happy that I got to have a V6 equipped Focus. Miraculously, I was able to get this car to pass MD inspection back in '07. Fast forward to the present, it was the never ending water leaks and later a serious mold problem that made me say, 'the hell with this'. I've always liked wagons most, and now that I'm able, why not build one the way it should have been built the first time? I figured I'd take the good guts from the ZX3 and transfer them to a wagon body.

Oh, but I'd have to do one step better. Instead of preserving the original 2.5L V6, I'd take a page from the Contour/Cougar people and swap in a 3.0L V6 to go with it. This thread will be my documentary on how I got there (one of many on different forums)

Let's start with some pictures from the beginning:

Had to clear out my workspace:

Then I started to take apart the interior of the ZX3:

I felt really proud of myself because I've never done this before. Even getting at the door panels (on both cars for the speaker install) wasn't that bad. Got to make use of my ebay plastic trim tools.

Getting started with the mess:

I hadn't yet attempted to half-ass clean the back panels so they were looking a little nasty.

Got the console out and started on the carpet:

Almost there...

That part was disgusting so I basically double-wrapped my hands in surgical gloves and went as fast as I could to get that beast out of there.

The sweet (non-moldy) smell of success! :D

Figured I'd snag the stereo (which is useless when the vehicle sits in the garage all day) so I could stick it in the green wagon.

Removed the blue stress bar as that won't be needed. That'll be up for sale sometime.

Took a moment to use up almost an entire canister of anti-bacterial wipes on the inside of the car and these panels. The non-PC version of this product would probably be aptly referred to as "Uber-Stank-Ass Biohazard Baby Butt-Wipes". :lol:

These are waiting to dry while the ants, crickets and spiders explore them:

Here are some other miscellaneous shots that might be informative for those watching:

Last edited by covert1; 09-15-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

This was the day I picked up my D30 from the trucking terminal:

And later on, some basic prep work on it. This is what the Contour/Cougar people go through.

An extra pulley that needs to go bye-bye

How convenient that I can wedge the strap tool in the pallet to get this pulley off:

Now, onto the crank pulley, itself:

Once I found a proper set of bolts, it was easy to get started:

Removed!

Gotta remove the auto-tragic flywheel:

The last PITA (for now) is the pilot bushing. It's not needed for the MTX-75:

I attempted to slice into the side of the bushing, to try and use a puller. I ended up aborting that because I didn't feel comfortable with the grinding wheel that close, and my puller was too large for the bushing so it couldn't grip it to begin with.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of pipe taps, because I found that 1/2" NPT pipe damn near fit the bushing perfectly. So I got my tap in there and threaded the pilot. Later, I went to Home Depot to get a couple 1/2" sections of pipe and a T connector. My first version of the 'el cheapo' pilot removal tool:

Got the slide hammer ready and started to go to town...

Initial design = FAIL. The 6 inch section of 1/2" pipe was old and the threads slipped out. Well, more like flew out and nailed my ankle:

So I compared the old pipe with the newer ones that I just got at HD and discovered that the newer ones were ever-so-slightly-larger. So I switched it up, re-threaded them and started hammering some more. The bastard finally came out! :rock:

Looks like it was pressed in there a good 3/8" or so. And, you can see my initial attempt to notch the thing so I could use a puller. If I had continued that route, I'd probably be really frustrated right now.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

This set of pictures was taken over Labor day weekend:

Unfortunately, when this comes out there will be other BS to figure out.

There's oily fluid weeping from the top of the transmission, in the vicinity of the shift tower. The first picture shows what they did to customize the transmission mount. Someone else has a picture of one bolted but I cannot see from his picture what he's got bolted to that side of the engine bay.

And then what looks like oil is weeping underneath. If that's the case I guess that's ok, since I won't be using this motor anymore, yet not OK because the lump only has 33k miles. I have not been underneath this car in a long while, but there wasn't residue like this all strewn about. Surprisingly, none of it has ever appeared on the floor of the garage or on the street.

And another thing to figure out... Engine Coolant Temp sensor. When I put in the optima over a year ago, I had to try to get as much slack as I could out of the battery cables. After doing so, I noticed that the temp needle no longer functioned in the cluster. Looks like I tore it out somehow. Gotta figure out where that black/blue wire goes.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

This weekend's progress pics:

I call my 2004 Duratec 30 powerplant to the stand...

Now, TESTIFY!

Meanwhile, getting ready to remove the D25

Success! And, another point I want to make: If I can take a V6 and MTX-75 out the top, no excuses for people not wanting to take your I4 and MTX-75 out the top. In hindsight, compared to this, an I4 would almost be too easy (when I assisted an FJer with his D23 I4). Getting this thing out was not as bad as I had imagined. Of course, it helps to use a load balancer like I did.

Putting that aside, I still have some other issues to address. First of all, what the hell is this thing? The receptacle was anchored to the frame rail and it broke when I tried to pull it out with the wiring harness:

(I think it's a crash sensor)

Additionally, what's with this coating of fluid all around the shift selector? Is there a gasket or seal here that has to be replaced? Is there one? The line above this (going to the slave cylinder) was dry.

I also suspect this connection was leaking fluid (ATF) quite a bit:

And one thing that made me go is that prior to removing the engine, there was a small fluid stain on the floor of the garage, which I thought was brake fluid (because I have a caliper suspended in the air right above where it happened) but I saw that the tie rod end was covered with ATF from the boot and it had leaked to the floor. Is this indicative of anything? Thinking about it now, I wonder if this is a side effect of spinning the PS pump backwards initially, before spinning it the right way and draining the line between the cooler and the rack.

Other pictures:

D25, meet D30:

Redneck carnival ride:

Such a mess, even though it's mostly empty:

There's still a long way to go. I still have to gut the dash from the ZX3, and I have to swap the core suspension bits from the SPI. The sucky thing about the SPI dying is that it remains on the street and cannot move on its own. I think I'll have to pull all the SPI crap out in the street and bring it to the ZX3 so that it can at least be moved out of my garage. Maybe I can push the ZX3 shell onto the street, with plates, but with a cover on top... and I can throw the useless SPI lump in the back. :mad:

I'd like to throw this out there: I'm in Columbia, MD, and if anyone would like to drop by and lend a hand, I'd appreciate it. Familiarity with the cars is a bonus, because I still have interiors to take out and suspension to swap. Of course, I'd pony up food and drink

It's starting to get cooler, which is a bonus when I can't work on a car in the garage... however, I don't want to be stuck on this when it's freezing outside.

Anyway, this is what I have for now. Insights welcome regarding the pictured problems/issues.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63325
What I Drive: 2000, Red, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lonjee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Siiiiiiiick
Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43029
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-red ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 runfocusrun Good Standing Member
Great job, those pics make it look soooooo easy LOL.
Keep us posted with more info 'cause this is really great.
Cheers
Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53977
What I Drive: 02 zx3

Points 4,772, Level 44
Points: 4,772, Level: 44 Points: 4,772, Level: 44 Points: 4,772, Level: 44
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 02_z_x_3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
yes that sensor was a crash sensor. this should be fun althought im not a huge fan of the wagon.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45538
What I Drive: 02' Mustang GT Premium Convertible

FF Reputation: 13 DJslurp1200 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Damn dude how badass was it running a 200hp (crank) 2.5L Focus? LOL

That thing must have been pretty damn fast!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 48750
What I Drive: 2006 Cloud 9 White ZX3 S

FF Reputation: 1 focus_intensified Good Standing Member
Hmm, I understand the idea of stripping the good parts from the interior, exterior and suspension to swap them over to the wagon, but what was the point of pulling the cougar motor from the ZX3 if you're going to use a Taurus motor in the wagon? Track car? Props on the swap; I too am a fan of the wagon, and would love to have the time to shoe-horn a 3.0 into one to ferry around the kiddies, while hauling lots of stuff. Good luck, I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56453
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

Points 1,451, Level 21
Points: 1,451, Level: 21 Points: 1,451, Level: 21 Points: 1,451, Level: 21
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Randori Good Standing Member
I always wanted to cram a 6 into a focus. What kind of suspension are you going to get to handle the extra weight?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.