2008 svt - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68926
What I Drive: 2008 SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 08slocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2008 svt

before you get your drawers up in a twist....

i know there isnt one

i have an 08 ses coupe

i recently purchased an 03 svt motor and trans for 1k with 22k miles (came with EVERYTHING)

So with that said.

i can either sell the motor or pull the crap pzev out of my focus and drop this bad boy in for some fun, but i was wondering, will this motor bolt up? or is it going to be a hell of a custom job?

also, i plan on getting coils and the svt brake upgrade for the 08 too.
just a lil bit of fun.

i called my ford tech friend and he said he had no idea, so i figured, why not try you guys!

thanks.

jon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Lurking

Fan#: 52102
What I Drive: 86 sportster1100, 12 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 blackoutSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
well first off welcome.. seciond that sounds like it would be cool but!!! the 08 focus motor is a much better motor to mod off of... the SVT is a cool car don't getg me wrong but i get dusted by my friends 2.3 all the time... your motor has better TQ and you can do less to them and get more HP. i have every bolt on on my car and it only makes 160 at best.... if you drop that svt motor in you would be wanting a turbo or SC in no time...

but this would look cool and you would be the first person i have herd of doing this in an 08.. hope this helped.. GL....
Old 09-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Moved to the swap forum.

Go ahead and look forward to a hard swap, I believe one of the engine mounts is in a different location so that's going to be a small hump. Then you need to get a whole SVT wiring harness b/c yours won't work. Gotta get a new PCM too, then some how match up your exhaust to the SVT flex pipe. Oh and also you'll need a SVT shifter and run the shift cables, so on and so on.

There is alot to do for a swap like this, if you were close I'd buy the engine tranny off you now I'd always love to have a spare for mine.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 09-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
I disagree, the swap would be a better option, but be aware that you will need litterally everything from the SVT. All bolt ons on a SVT will be higher than that if done correctly. They can make over 200hp all motor if you take the time to do some engine work. The Duratec "isnt" a better motor, just more efficient. The Zetec is a much stronger engine. Keep inmind as well, if you do the brakes, you will have to change out the suspension also as they dont interchange with your car.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
soon to be turbo!

Fan#: 48278
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

Points 8,020, Level 60
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16sir1991 View Post
I disagree, the swap would be a better option, but be aware that you will need litterally everything from the SVT. All bolt ons on a SVT will be higher than that if done correctly. They can make over 200hp all motor if you take the time to do some engine work. The Duratec "isnt" a better motor, just more efficient. The Zetec is a much stronger engine. Keep inmind as well, if you do the brakes, you will have to change out the suspension also as they dont interchange with your car.
i bet if you had a 2.3l with I/H/E/ITM/stg 2 cams an a really good tune, you could make 200hp.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68926
What I Drive: 2008 SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 08slocus Good Standing Member
thanks for the help, the engine came with harness pcu and driveshafts and the shifter, was planning on custom exhaust work something eurosport sounding.

i would plan on supercharging it anyways when money and time allows

also. i have the pzev for the first few 08s they came with the shitty pzev. its slow as dirt and to my knowledge is unmoddable.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26844
What I Drive: 2004 Mustang GT 5 Spd

Points 2,589, Level 30
Points: 2,589, Level: 30 Points: 2,589, Level: 30 Points: 2,589, Level: 30
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 slikirish Good Standing Member
nothing is unmoddable for the right amount of money
Zetec Crew #4

Back on Stock wheels after bending 3 18's in 2 months. Stupid Winter Roads.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Lurking

Fan#: 52102
What I Drive: 86 sportster1100, 12 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 blackoutSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16sir1991 View Post
well my friend has a 2.3 05 with CAI, Race header, TB, cosworth cams. and a zex kit and with a 75 shot he made more power than a SC SVT with all the bolt on's. with out the nitrous he made over 160whp. so im going off numbers... if you want to build a highly modded SVT with new internals and a turbo you can make a bad ass car.. the SVT can handle more power but stock for stock a svt will lose depending on driver to a duratec.

now i think it would be a cool swap but if you want to have more low end HP go with the duratec. if you want more high end power go with the SVT... IMO
Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 61433
What I Drive: 02 sonic blue SVTF

Points 11,930, Level 71
Points: 11,930, Level: 71 Points: 11,930, Level: 71 Points: 11,930, Level: 71
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 djblackout Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
dude a stock svt can take about 18-20 psi stock you just have to stay under 300whp unless you rebuild teh internals
Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45538
What I Drive: 02' Mustang GT Premium Convertible

FF Reputation: 13 DJslurp1200 Great Standing Member
IF you've already got an SVT Motor and Tranny and the funds to get it all complete (ECM, Ect,...) and installed... why not? Either way an SVT 2.0L Zetec will be much more fun to drive bone stock then a Bone Stock PZEV Duratec 2.0L... It'll pull much harder and you will always be able to boost later on!

As for which type of motor is better (SVT) Zetec vs. Duratec 2.3 here's how I see it...

The SVT's 2.0L came from the factory very well tuned with 30hp more at the crank over the regular 2.0L Zetec and with an awesome header, Forged rods I believe, a great factory air intake and much more! it's well prepared for boost and stock internals are strong! It's a great motor!

The 2.3L Duratec on the other hand was simply that... A 2.3L motor with a super restrictive non serviceable air intake... and no additional performance minded engineering like seen on the SVT's motor with the Cosworth header and other parts designed for performance. However, a great engine with a ton of potential and gobs of torque.

Bottom line is... BOTH ARE GREAT MOTORS!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.