2003 svt clutch replacement - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41239
What I Drive: 2003 svt

FF Reputation: 0 Dirtrackracer2b Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 svt clutch replacement

whats the best way to put a new clutch in this thing ,its a stick.
does the motor have to come out or just the tranny?
do i need any special tools?
thx in advance
BRYAN

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

clutch

i guess nobody knows how to do this.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64216
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 rpo15 Good Standing Member
I just replaced a tranny and the whole clutch assembly, and it is somewhat easy if you have basic knowledge on what to do and handy, and have space in your garage or driveway with a compressor. You are going to need to put the car on four jack stands, or two stands with two ramps in the back since it is so short it will lift up the whole side of the car. And take off the control arm so you can slide the tranny over. But since I replaced the trans, it was much easier, although you can take it out if you have a smooth surface to navigate it around with a jack or something, and you will need to loosen the exhaust and engine mounts to lower the engine on a tilt. So if you are going to do it you are probably going to get a kit with the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate and it will be a pain if the trans isn't far away enough to take everything out, and put the alighnment tool in so your best bet would be to take it out.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 57080
What I Drive: 09 f-150 5.4

Points 3,172, Level 34
Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 33 Master-Baits Great Standing Member
its tough without a lift, but doable, separate the tranny and motor and then u drop the motor a little
Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

As long as you can support the engine and lower it, you should be fine I used 2 jacks and it worked fine, getting the tranny up after removal will need patience and good judgement on where to guide it, and as far as tools, you will need a 13mm size for the tranny to engine bolts, 30mm for cv axles, and I'll have to check later but a hex or a torx (I forgot) for the flywheel, and I think a 10mm or something for the pressure plate. And you will have to take out the battery compartment, air filter set up in order to get to the main tranny mount, and disconnect the shifter links and all sensors on it. The blots on the back side of the tranny ontop are a pain in the a** to get off, but as long as you get them free you can get them off. But I think there's enough room to just do all of that and leave the tranny up and jus move it away and replace it. So let us know what you are doing in case of problems down the line.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 07-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpo15 View Post
As long as you can support the engine and lower it, you should be fine I used 2 jacks and it worked fine, getting the tranny up after removal will need patience and good judgement on where to guide it, and as far as tools, you will need a 13mm size for the tranny to engine bolts, 30mm for cv axles, and I'll have to check later but a hex or a torx (I forgot) for the flywheel, and I think a 10mm or something for the pressure plate. And you will have to take out the battery compartment, air filter set up in order to get to the main tranny mount, and disconnect the shifter links and all sensors on it. The blots on the back side of the tranny ontop are a pain in the a** to get off, but as long as you get them free you can get them off. But I think there's enough room to just do all of that and leave the tranny up and jus move it away and replace it. So let us know what you are doing in case of problems down the line.
Posted via FF Mobile

thank you
Im a pretty good mechanic on my personal car and my racecar
but these have a bit more room to work on. i think ill only need the 30 mm socket, i have the rest. a garage, stands, and tools. i have to get the clutch kit yet. but will keep you posted.
again thanks guys
Bryan
does the shifter in the car need to be removed before the tranny?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

The shifer you leave alone in the car, there are two links/shifter cables that hook to the trans ontop of trans to shift the gears, and the smaller one you just have to push the button down and pull up and the other one there's a little clip and then its the sam as the small one, and this is all located under the air intake and a little down towards the firewall. And if you cand find the clutch kit for less than $500, check ebay, I got the kit with the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder for $415 excluding shipping, that was still very reasonable. So everything you need is right under the hood. For the shifter
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

tranny

got it finished took me 16 damn hours.but it works good now.
where is the fill plug and site plug on this 6 speed tranny.
also the left front wheel has negative camber like 2 deg and the tire is wearing,how can i adjust this? i think my wife hit a curb magine that..lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.