engine swap? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 65222
What I Drive: N/A

Points 27, Level 1
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Mic636 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
engine swap?

Hello everyone im new to this forum so please exuse me if someone already posted this question or something to the affect its just that im really interested to find out some answers to my question,here i go.I been a fan of the ford focus for quiet some time ever since i went to a stadium sell off of used cars and drove a used svt that someone sort of fix up with upgraded brakes and intake/exaust anywhosel is was a blast I loved the dame thing but it turned out that i was going to pay more for the insurance than the F'N car note so the dream died for me that day.Enough of the sh!t talking,I started resurching the focus rs and upgrades to the 2.0 with cosworth parts and i notice some interesting info.It seens to me that the RS has the same five cyclider 2.5 turdo engine as in the currant us volvo cars.Would it be posible,and cost efficent to swap out a factor volvo 2.5 in a forcus?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Your talking two different platforms. The U.S. Focus still sits on the 170 platform, where as the Volvo/Euro ST is the 225. It would be an expensive pain in the ass, but anything could be done.

Moved to Engine & Transmission Swap

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
that really doesnt answer my question.are you talking about the new 09 model of the older focus gen?and if so can older volvo's fit the bill
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Turbo!!!!

All U.S. Focuses sit on the first Gen platform. To do a swap you would need the engine, all wiring, transmission, hours of fabrication and a lot of other details. If you go with an older Volvo, then your going from the 2.5t to the 1.9t. At that point you would be better of just boosting a Zetec, Duratec, or SVT.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I dont think your engeniering background is to sound.when you have an automaker producing the same product for two different cars it stand to make sence that the two products have alot of things incomin especialy when the two product use the same platforms in different regieons like the euro focus.Thats why im asking these questions not because is expensive but to see if anyone has come to the same conclusion.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Turbo!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic636 View Post
I dont think your engeniering background is to sound.when you have an automaker producing the same product for two different cars it stand to make sence that the two products have alot of things incomin especialy when the two product use the same platforms in different regieons like the euro focus.Thats why im asking these questions not because is expensive but to see if anyone has come to the same conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic636
It seens to me that the RS has the same five cyclider 2.5 turdo engine as in the currant us volvo cars.,Would it be posible and cost efficent to swap out a factor volvo 2.5 in a forcus?
Really?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58770
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Turbocharged SVT

Points 360, Level 7
Points: 360, Level: 7 Points: 360, Level: 7 Points: 360, Level: 7
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 bradshsi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic636 View Post
Would it be posible,and cost efficent to swap out a factor volvo 2.5 in a forcus?
Thanks
I think Witch did answer your question. All US focus models are drawn from the older generation 1 focus platform, even the "new" US focus, the one available only as a sedan.

As such the engine bay likely has quite different dimensions than the second generation platform, from which the Volvo and Focus RS are built on.

In short possible: yes, cost effective: probably not.

A friendly suggestion. If you are planning to critique someones engineering ability it would sound a lot better if you didn't write it as "engeniering". The spell checker is your friend.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 27, Level 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Ah...i know this might be alittle to late to post but sorry aboot the earlier comment on your expertiess... but i got frustrated an got a little drunk and just started typing away... no afence ment friend, oh and by the way i know i miss spelled engineering or any other words but i feel my time is better spent on finishing the post then reviewing every last word..in not being graded here or working on the theory of relativity..again my bad
Oh and i still cant get over how similar fist gen focus is to the euro model and how its not posible to do that type of swap,its just... there has to be a way im going to research more aboot the differencese on the two cars come to some positive solution.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.