please help me make a decision - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63979
What I Drive: 2001 zx3 maroon

FF Reputation: 1 dreamer33917 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
please help me make a decision

removed

Last edited by dreamer33917; 04-07-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 15,429, Level 80
Points: 15,429, Level: 80 Points: 15,429, Level: 80 Points: 15,429, Level: 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
okay i think i can condense what you just said. you want to make your focus fast because you cant buy your dream car because the economy sucks but you might be able to either get an ST or SVT. but you want a car with minimum 300hp.
on a focus the only way you will get that is with lots of boost from a turbo, period, and it wont be a very good daily driver. a 300hp focus just isnt a very streetable car, it would be a pain to drive but whatever.
if you want to make the car you have into a good daily driver that has as much as you really need put a supercharger on it with a big boost kit for it making around 12psi and 200-220 hp. you would be thrilled with that. supercharger would be more reliable and much much more streetable and cheaper/easier to install, and probably cheaper to tune. if you have to have more power after that you can spray nitrous on top of it and get to that 300hp mark but nitrous carries risks, BE WARNED!!!
the SVT and ST are closely matched on all performance areas. the duratec ST makes better bottom end and the SVT makes better top end. it seems like the SVT is more reliable tho and handles more major power adders better as well as handling those power adders well as a daily driver.
you cannot swap any engine into a focus unless it is one of the engines that came in a US model focus (SPI 2.0, zetec 2.0, SVT 2.0, duratec 2.0, duratec 2.3) it will not be street legal otherwise. therefore swapping in the turbo volvo engine from the euro ST is out as well as swapping in a V8, or SHO, or contour, or cougar for that matter.
my suggestion to you if you want a crazy fast daily driver is either buy a new car that is already that way stock, or buy a new daily driver and rebuild and turbo what you have because the car will be out of commision quite a bit if you push those kind of numbers.
there is another option which i would do in your position. supercharge it and smile when you crawl all over GT mustangs, camaros, and corvettes with it. maby not cobras and some corvettes but camaros and regular GTs you will eat alive with just a supercharger

EDIT: just felt like adding that the reason VTEC hondas make such high numbers is because they are all top end power with horrible bottom end. in other words the power shoots way up in the last 1000 rpms. the focus on the other hand gradually builds power over the entire rpm span. it has more power between 2000rpm and 6000rpm than most any VTEC on the market save the V6 models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

wow thank you for the info it helps out alot i have 4 months to buy a car have to have another one girl gonna drive paid off zx3. so i am looking at a 04 svt 35,000 miles at 10,500 and a 07 st with 28,000 miles at 11,500both still under warrantyi think i can offer 9000 to 9500 and get either one my loans for 15,000 and i have 5,000 saved for mods and a ase master tech that owes me 1000.00 in free labor so i would have at least 7,000 or more after tax tag title what would you do? also someone also suggested that i buy a low mileage car on the classifieds posted here that already has stuff done and dumping the money in it. i just want a fast car that wont break down all the time that i might be able to go to some focus shows and be proud heh heh thanks again for your time
Old 04-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 15,429, Level 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
alright my suggestion is buy the SVT because its cheaper and i bet you will like it better anyway. i know i would. look in the buy sell trade area of this site for a supercharger for the svt and buy it. put the supercharger on yourself dont waste the favor on something simple like that. get the car tuned and if you want more work done get that master tech to do some swapping on the internals. order pistons rods cams (turbo cams, regular n/a cams dont work well with boost) bigger injectors, colder plugs, high flow exhaust, the list goes on. you will make around 220ish with a stock engine svt with a supercharger on max boost. svt is a high compression engine tho and you want low compression with boost. (8:5:1 is best) get low compression pistons and thicker head gasket and that should be good.

you could also take your chances and get a turbo kit for it. comp turbo is really good and extremely affordable. no more than 10psi i would say on stock engine. it will be more expensive to buy, tune, maintain, and a bigger pain in the ass to install, but you can acheive your power goal with it and you said your girl friend will have your zx3 so you can fall back on that if you really need to.

right now if you do it right you are looking at paying around $4000 to get a supercharger on your car and tuned perfect and making 220 eash hp. turbo youre probably looking at around $6000+ with the abillity to reach your power goal with minor interal engine upgrades and another tuning session (FYI it usually costs around $1000 every time you have to get a turbo car dyno tuned)
Quote:
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!

Last edited by focusmaniaczx3; 04-06-2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

thank you so much
Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 15,429, Level 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
any time.
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.