Do you like this idea? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Good Idea for a Swap?
yes 8 57.14%
no 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Do you like this idea?

Focus ZX3 chassis.

k20a2 or k24a2 swap?

please dont badger me on why. its a good motor setup. IMO way better than a duratec, and would possibly be the only way i would keep the focus.

sinse they are bothflow through designs, and the subframe only holds the rear mount, the stock subframe would only need to be modified alittle, primarily just for the rear mount.

battery would be moved.

also custom driveshafts to match up the a2 tranny to the stock front hubs' splines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Mtn. Dew

Fan#: 101
What I Drive: 2013 Taffeta White Civic Si

Points 15,945, Level 81
Points: 15,945, Level: 81 Points: 15,945, Level: 81 Points: 15,945, Level: 81
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 45 Lil_RedZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I LOVE our K20. It seems like a lot of work, but it's a great motor.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
ive been browsing hasport and innovative, for k-swap mounts to see which would be close, i know there will be modification, but not enough to detur the final result, like modifying the frame and such.

as i see it, if the CRX has enough room for a K, then the focus should have more than enough.

also time when this may start is summer time.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Your mind changes more than the weather in Seattle.. lol. I like the idea though. Sure would be a nice setup.

Just looking at a picture on google you are aware that instead of a top mounted transmission mount there is one on the back and one on the other side. I can't recall any place on the Focus up front behind the radiator to tap into to hold that mount. Some sorta crossmember would have to be made. Other than that and the slave cylinder location though it looks very plausible. All the accessories look to be in the exact same place. Hell it looks pretty darn easy actually. I like the idea!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Sooooooooooo EURO

Fan#: 47771
What I Drive: BMW's

Points 12,861, Level 74
Points: 12,861, Level: 74 Points: 12,861, Level: 74 Points: 12,861, Level: 74
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 26 klodkrawler05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (30)
I think it would be cool to see since both of those honda motors would make a good deal more hp built up than a dtec would!
'99 Triumph Daytona
Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59327
What I Drive: 2004 Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 9 NAD23ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
CHHHYYYEAH RIGHT. The k's come pretty close to maxed out on the bottom end so building it won't blow away a built 2.3, the dtec will win purely on displacement/hp/torque and the k will rev higher. Still a great motor though. I say go for it honhon, a few fanboys will be horrified but it'll be unique.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31835
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange SVT Euro

FF Reputation: 29 AerofurySC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Based just off cost and headaches, why not just turbo the 2.0 you have now and make more power, without the massive headaches your entering into?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

my mind isnt soley set on this, so there still may be a VW parked in the driveway in the future.

and i hate the mtx75 transmission, and i basically hate the duratec motor. even though they are similar, i still feal the k motor is a superior motor to the duratec motor.

and i dont feal headaches are such when it comes to installing a new motor. the hardest thing i can think of would be mounting of the motor, and even then it comes down to angles and measurements.

wiring is easy, just wiring in the motor with a k-harness and have a K-pro PCM run the motor, the ford GEM's for power locks and such dont rather care about the PCM. exhaust can easily be fabricated. and im sure a K header will come pretty close to the duratec header.

axles... i can just give measurements, and such and tell driveshaftshop.com what i need and want, and bam, throw down cash and there we go. ive started to also look at shifters, they are cable, and the stock console has enough room to hide the RSX shifter, if not, i can space it up alittle.

the clutch is still hydraulic, so no issues there. cooling... thats going to be pretty easy, just find either a honda radiator or focus radiator with similar hookups and get hoses to run to each side... or worst case, ill have to have an alluminum radiator modified.

lets look at the cost of turboing my 2.0:

3100$ for stage 1
800$ for stage 2 (stage 1 is useless without stage 2 IMO)
800$ for new clutch (need one anyways)
600$ for LSD and misc materials, fluids and bearings and such
300$ for a 2.5inch exhaust sinse im still rocking the 2.25inch

so thats: $5600 just right there, and im still rocking the bottom end in my motor. and also, im wanting to be unique and stand out from the crowd, ive seen a number of duratec members running exedy clutches and stage 2 from focussport, it would just be another cow in the field as far as im concered, and the only way i would turbo the duratec is if i made my own kit.

ive already looked around and ive seen k20a2 motors on ebay for roughly $2600 to $3100

and IIRC a k20a2 i believe may come with an LSD from the factory, but im not sure at the moment, i would have to check into it. but after the main fabrication is over with, the car will be very unique, and be able to hang with alot of cars after some diet fat gone. but like i said, this is just a thought process at the moment.

and if i come about close in cost between the swap and turboing... the turbo'd duratec will only have about 25hp up on the N/A k20, and only 5 on the k24.

also something to think of is cost... the cost to build a d23 to lets say compete against a K24, the bill would be hurrendus... i take EGZ's motor for example, and he still barely broke 200hp at 201... the k24 would still be ahead at 225
Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34375
What I Drive: 06 G35

Points 3,559, Level 37
Points: 3,559, Level: 37 Points: 3,559, Level: 37 Points: 3,559, Level: 37
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 blkthunder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
the focus is really just a bad platform becuase of its excessive weight. just get a hatch shell and drop the k20 in it... and sell the focus to a college kid who doesnt care about cars.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59327
What I Drive: 2004 Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 9 NAD23ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
He broke 200 to the wheels, the k20a does 225 at 8000rpm (11.7:1 comp) to the crank, so egz was pushing more with less compression and lower revs and I'm sure there was more to be made. Heck my build isn't going to cost me a whole lot since I'm doing the work and I'll even make more than egzs' n/a. Also it doesn't weigh that much, sure its no crx but the crx is no geo either. Theres plenty that can be removed to lighten it

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.