Compare please - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
Focus "Sleeper"

Fan#: 41715
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 deep red

FF Reputation: 13 Captain Moonpie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Compare please

What is the difference between a 6 puck and 4 puck design clutch? I know the obvious difference with physical number of clutch arms, but that is it. I was checking out clutchmaster's site and they have the 4 puck and 6 puck designs with the same power rating. It says the 4 puck is "more aggressive" than the 6, what does that mean?

I am taking a stab in the dark that the 6 puck is more street freindly, but I realy have no clue.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34949
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 error54 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The difference is harshness and engagement and clutch life IIRC. The 6 is going to be more streetable with a smoother engagement whereas the 4 puck is going to be better for drag/road racing. I run the revised stage 3 clutchmasters which is good to over 300lb/tq and is a full face. The old clutches had the stage 3 @ 250lb/tq (IIRC) thus a lot of people went for the stage 4 6 puck design on FI setups.

I once drove a buddies honda with a 4 puck and there was no gradual engagement. It's was either full on or full off which made it a bastard to drive in traffic. Once your foot gets used to the where the clutch pedal will engage I suppose it wouldn't be so bad to drive.

What are your power goals? How streetable do you want your clutch to be?

*Edit: I believe there was a clutch review thread somewhere on here which would make a very interesting for you
Old 02-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
something like the less surface area the clutch has the more holding power it has. but yeah, i drove a 6 puck and the clutch was heavy with a hard bite. cant imagine the 4 puck.

personally i would get a heavy duty pressure plate with a full disc.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 02-02-2009, 05:06 AM   #4
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 15,429, Level 80
Points: 15,429, Level: 80 Points: 15,429, Level: 80 Points: 15,429, Level: 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
i have the 6 puck. had big plans when i put it in and now it doesnt look like im going to be able to use all that potential for quite some time. a bitch to drive to begin with but it isnt that bad once you get used to it. its stiff as hell and there is about 1mm of pedal travel where you can slip the clutch a little if you launch at high rpms. taking off from 2k or under is quite diffacult but once again after you get used to it there isnt much trouble. kinda like adjusting right after going to a lightweight flywheel and/or bigger throttle body. you get used to it. going with the above statement i couldnt imagine a 4 puck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
Focus "Sleeper"

I would like to turbo the car when I graduate in 11.75 monthes (not that I am counting). I would like to hit 360-375 whp. I think i need to have the throw-out berring replaced, and i figure while they are in there might as well take care of the super clutch.

I would like to be able to use the car on the street while I finish college, and since it is my daily driver, i also need it to be reliable. Since I am pushing the limits of the stock clutch at 60,000 miles and the juice, I figure this would be the smart way to go.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 15,429, Level 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
if its going to be a daily driver anything much over 300hp isnt going to be as reliable as you would like. you will have to constantly be tweaking it and working on it to keep it running right. i would suggest you build it tough as nails internally and boost it with a supercharger as much as you can. and keep nitrous for when you need it. 300hp on a super is attainable and reliable. keep that 65shot and you would be right in your power range.
Quote:
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47255
What I Drive: 2004 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 26 silveib Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
turbo > supercharger
no reason why he cant build a reliable 350whp as long as he is able to stop at that.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Focus "Sleeper"

^^ Exactly. 350 whp on a turbo has been done MANY times, there is no reason I cant do it too.

And I have not heard of a zetec, built or not, to cross 300 whp with a supercharger.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 15,429, Level 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
ah ah ah i said supercharge it and then spray that 65 shot on top of it when you need/want it. 300 on supercharger alone, no. 300 on supercharger and a 50-75 shot of nitrous... maby. i think 250 on a supercharger could be done easily enough. if 8 lbs on a turbo makes 220-240hp why wont 12lbs on a supercharger make about the same or more? that belt doesnt pull the power down THAT much does it?
Quote:
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
Focus "Sleeper"

I would rather just go turbo. Seems much simpler. The thing with the turbo is I can turn down the boost to give me 250 whp then next day turn up the boost with the turn of a screw to go racing. Whereas the supercharger would require me to replace pulleys.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.