Clutch Bleed - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 51523
What I Drive: 2000, Green, 1.8 Ghia, Saloon.

FF Reputation: 1 kesher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Clutch Bleed

I may need to bleed the clutch, how do I do this?

Does it matter which is bled first the brakes or clutch?

THANKS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46519
What I Drive: 86 GN, 11.1@128, 20 psi

Points 4,578, Level 43
Points: 4,578, Level: 43 Points: 4,578, Level: 43 Points: 4,578, Level: 43
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 8 NJSVTGUY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I don't know if it matters but this is how I do it.
Bleed the brakes first. Refill with fluid. Let sit overnight. Bleed the clutch.
Sitting overnight allows the fluid time to seep into clutch, strange but true.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I let all the brake fluid bleed out of one of the brake lines after changing a wheel cylinder, and because of this the fluid dropped right down in the brake fluid resevoir. I've been told that because of this air may have entered other parts of the system such as the clutch. I intend to use an Eezy Bleed Pressure bleeder to do the brakes, and clutch if necessary
Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46519
What I Drive: 86 GN, 11.1@128, 20 psi

Points 4,578, Level 43
Points: 4,578, Level: 43 Points: 4,578, Level: 43 Points: 4,578, Level: 43
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 8 NJSVTGUY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
That's fine, I used this method after installing a complete brake sytem, and new engine/tranny. There was no fluid anywhere.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Fluid does not seep into the clutch... In fact if any fluid got onto the clutch system it would ruin it. The fluid runs into the slave cylinder which pushes onto the pressure plate of the clutch system when the pedal is pushed to disconnect the motor from the input shaft. You do not bleed a clutch. You bleed its slave cylinder.

If you opened up a bleeder line without intending to bleed it you have introduced a lot of air into the system thats for sure. The easiest way is to use a pressure bleeder like the one found on Focussport.com but you can use the pump pedal option with a buddy as well.

Bleeding the clutch with your pressure bleeder is the same as bleeding the brake lines. Just find the bleeder nipple from the slave and do it the same you would do the brakes.

I would say it does matter which you do first. The brakes should be done first because you are supposed to bleed whatever is farthest away from the resevoir first and move up from there. So in a direction like this. Passenger rear, Driver rear, Passenger front, Driver front, then the slave cylinder. Even if air didn't get into the slave its a good idea to bleed the whole hydraulic system at least once a year just to maintain proper hydraulic performance.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
Fluid does not seep into the clutch... In fact if any fluid got onto the clutch system it would ruin it. The fluid runs into the slave cylinder which pushes onto the pressure plate of the clutch system when the pedal is pushed to disconnect the motor from the input shaft. You do not bleed a clutch. You bleed its slave cylinder.

If you opened up a bleeder line without intending to bleed it you have introduced a lot of air into the system thats for sure. The easiest way is to use a pressure bleeder like the one found on Focussport.com but you can use the pump pedal option with a buddy as well.

Bleeding the clutch with your pressure bleeder is the same as bleeding the brake lines. Just find the bleeder nipple from the slave and do it the same you would do the brakes.

I would say it does matter which you do first. The brakes should be done first because you are supposed to bleed whatever is farthest away from the resevoir first and move up from there. So in a direction like this. Passenger rear, Driver rear, Passenger front, Driver front, then the slave cylinder. Even if air didn't get into the slave its a good idea to bleed the whole hydraulic system at least once a year just to maintain proper hydraulic performance.
As my Focus is a right hand drive, being a U.K model, the U.S passenger rear will be the U.K driver's rear etc. And so I will bleed the brakes accordingly, yes? On the UK model the brake fluid reservior is nearer to the (U.K) passenger side.

If after bleeding the brakes and I find that the clutch is working fine and so decide not bleed the clutch's slave cylinder, is there any chance that the older fluid from the clutch's slave could mix/contaminate the new brake fluid?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
lol sorry I forgot you guys drive on the other side of the road. But yes if the resevoir is on the left side of the car the procedure will be the same.

As far as bleeding the clutch as well I would just do it all. The reason being is in the nature of the fluid itself.

Brake/clutch fluid (what goes in the resevoir) absorb moisture over time. That is why it turns dark over time. This makes the fluid compress more which you do not want and be more apt to boil in extreme circumstances (which you also do not want) So since both systems are connected through the same resevoir there is a possibility to contaminating the brake fluid (slowely) through the contact with the dirty clutch fluid.

For what its worth my clutch fluid always seems to get dirtier much quicker than the brake fluid. I tend to bleed both systems at least twice a year. I would bleed them both. Its really not that hard. Its more getting to the slave cylinder bleed nipple that is the pain.

Just do them both. You wont be disappointed.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Just to be sure, if the procedure for bleeding is the same for both U.K & U.S models, then I will start on the rear right-hand wheel.
This wheel being the rear passenger's side wheel in the U.S and the driver's side wheel in the U.K.

I have a manual (which is not that good) it says that to bleed the clutch system a bleed screw must be undone rather than a bleed nipple.
If it's just a screw that must be undone, I suppose this could be messy as I will have to use a container of some sort to catch the old brake fluid.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Yes the procedure is the same.

And yes it is just another word for the bleeder nipple. It is basically a screw with a nipple on top that you screw out a bit to bleed. You slip an open wrench over the nut part of it and then a hose over the nipple part, turn it to open it and close it. Just like the brake components. Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.