Just dreaming, sport shift? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just dreaming, sport shift?

Yeah. I highly doubt I would consider doing this unless you folks tell me otherwise... but I realized that Mazda 3s use 4F27E autos like the Focus.

They have the sport-shift or whatever you want to call it on them. Does anyone know how it works, if a Focus transmission could be modded somehow, or if it lies in the PCM/Duratec/Mazda 4F27E somewhere which would likely involve a whole powertrain swap?

If it's just a mater of a couple switches and running some wires I could see giving it a shot. But mostly I'm asking this question because I'm curious about what you guys think. I bet it's in the PCM which probably means there's not a good chance of me splicing wires to that thing which wasn't intended to do this in the first place.

Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30436
What I Drive: Ranger & SVO

FF Reputation: 1 quikstang2 Good Standing Member
I'd be interested in finding that out too.
But you can turn any automatic tranny into a "paddle shift" with a toggle switch, double sided solenoid and a series of linkages.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
MyCarBreaksAlot

If it were possible, I would try to do it that way, with the paddles.

The whole transmission in the Focus is electronic and I think that might be a problem because I bet the PCM controls everything and I wouldn't want to mess with that. I'm wondering if it would actually be worth doing this.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

Points 32,001, Level 100
Points: 32,001, Level: 100 Points: 32,001, Level: 100 Points: 32,001, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
the mini uses the getrag 6spd and it also has a DSG...so technically the DSG could mount to any zetec...getting it to work is another story.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
MyCarBreaksAlot

Well I know that some variant of the 4f27e is capable of using it (Madza 3) but I don't know if it's something that only carries over from the whole powertrain of that car, or if you could mod a stock Zetec auto powertrain to do that. That would probably be easier than swapping a trans from an entirely different everything.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
What bump stop?

Fan#: 20426
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 Turbo, '06 ST Turbo

Points 5,063, Level 45
Points: 5,063, Level: 45 Points: 5,063, Level: 45 Points: 5,063, Level: 45
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 tiresmoker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
(In regards to paddle shifters)

When the group of us took the Wayne Assembly Plant tour, this was actually brought up. Tom (1turbofocus) and I were talking about it, and he brought up some very good points and information. Maybe he'll shed some light on to this subject.

It would be neat to see it applied to a focus.
ST Crew #19
2006 ST Turbo: JUNE 07 ROTM 2007 Ride of the Year
2000 ZX3: superturbochargedpartscar
2005 Shinka RX-8: too many mods....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT
It was like concentrated death on chicken
Old 10-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
yes it can be done you need a simple micro controller to make it work though, kind of expensive I fooled with it in a rental and it would cost atleast $350 to produce them
Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30436
What I Drive: Ranger & SVO

FF Reputation: 1 quikstang2 Good Standing Member
The Focus and the 3 are the same car, so the easiest way to do it would be to find a donor 3 and rob the electronics and tranny. Make sure you have the right bell housing, flywheel, etc. ...
The Focus and 3 might have the same tranny case and name, but the bits and pieces inside could be different. I've come across this problem with C4 and C6 transmissions in Mustangs, F-100s and Lincolns.

You also might have to get the 3 steering wheel (if that's where the paddles are mounted), but I haven't studied the two cars for this so I'm not sure on that.

It'll take a lot of time and frustration to figure it out, but when you do it'll be more than worth it.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49113
What I Drive: 03 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 23 Xetchx Great Standing Member
Oh man I want Paddle shifters, think it's possible rob parts from a mini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav-E2.0 View Post
I'm not hard, I'm fluffy...lol
Old 10-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
MyCarBreaksAlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
The Focus and the 3 are the same car, so the easiest way to do it would be to find a donor 3 and rob the electronics and tranny. Make sure you have the right bell housing, flywheel, etc. ...
The Focus and 3 might have the same tranny case and name, but the bits and pieces inside could be different. I've come across this problem with C4 and C6 transmissions in Mustangs, F-100s and Lincolns.

You also might have to get the 3 steering wheel (if that's where the paddles are mounted), but I haven't studied the two cars for this so I'm not sure on that.

It'll take a lot of time and frustration to figure it out, but when you do it'll be more than worth it.
Well it would be cool and all... but I foresee difficulty. I mean if I could find a 3 to yank stuff out of that would be great. But here's the thing.

The 3 doesn't use paddles. It uses an extra notch on the floor shifter for + and -. There's a possibility that whole assembly could be ripped out and put into a Focus, but that's a lot of work, hence a on-off switch coupled with paddle shifters and running the wires. Another thing I'm worried about is, the input for shifting may be processed by the 3's PCM, which means it would involve me swapping the PCM + wire harness + Duratec... basically an entire powertrain swap. At that point it's useless to me.

I autocross a lot on a long course, so gear selection would be a huge benefit to me. However, if it would cost a ton of money and downtime to get it working there's a very slim possibility of me actually thinking about attempting this. I hate to bring this up because I'm really not the type of person to go into uncharted territory with my car.

But by all means, if someone is reading this and is feeling inspired, feel free to run with this idea and I'll try to help research it if I can. I feel bad bringing this topic up and letting you all down because I really don't have a means of pursuing it.
Dan - gumpcrew #4

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.