Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Custom 3" stainless Magnaflow exhaust

10K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  dyn085 
#1 ·

Just finished building and installing this. Nice deep tone, I like it. had to make a custom flange to adapt to existing 2.25" flange, made it out of two pieces of 1/4" plate welded together. I could them use the original gasket. May have to dyno for the third time to see if there is an improvement.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why not out the rear of the car? I would dump it before the jack stand before I ran it in front of the tire. Its a tough look to pull off.

#4 ·
Yes your right not for everyone but I only bought enough parts to do side exit and where the exhaust exits normally 3" would be difficult to do . It has a much deeper tone than lunch box delete which is what I had. I really think the sound is better but my own opinion obviously.

#3 ·
Looks very well done. Can you put up some pictures with it on the ground? I'm intrigued as I've only seen this one other time on a focus

#13 ·

I don't have a video yet.
That flange is home made from a template made from the original. Made the first one and found there wouldn't be enough coverage for the gasket, because of the size of 3" hole so I made an identical one with a 2.25" hole to back up the 3" one, then welded them together.

#11 ·
I liked yours thats why I did it, but wanted 3" instead. I had a hunch that the bigger muffler and pipe size would give it much lower tone and I was'nt wrong, low and deep. No rice sound was what I was looking for.

#9 ·
Exhaust pics

Here is the side shot and thanks for all the complements. I may cut it back a little more haven't decided yet. It looks like it sticks out more than it really does. If you were to look from the top down its pretty much even, I think the illusion comes from the way the side curves around.

#21 ·

Here is the side shot and thanks for all the complements. I may cut it back a little more haven't decided yet. It looks like it sticks out more than it really does. If you were to look from the top down its pretty much even, I think the illusion comes from the way the side curves around.
I think that looks pretty good, well done. Side note, what wheels are those?

#16 ·
I have'nt pulled the covers loose to see if there is room, but looks like the parking cable is in the way and you would have to stay as close to the end as possible because of structual body components. I may try and oval the tubing to make it flatter. I almost bought a oval tube, but they didn't have one that went from oval to 3" tube so would have had to make it. Didn't think it was worth the trouble. All for about $200.

#19 ·
Should be a flange with 2.25" tube in it.

#18 ·
The main issue with trying to put the exhaust through the body/side skirts is all the reinforcing and number of angles coming together in the lower corner.

The unibody all comes together there

#23 ·
I'm really glad the exhaust is black! Looks better than I thought it would. Taking it through the side valence would give it that viper look, possibly saleen depending on tip configuration.

#24 ·
Just reminded me of the old SVT side exhaust I had on my 96 Cobra, I loved the look of it. And with this being a single exhaust, I didn't want to cut the stock rear valence or spend $$$ on a new one with double cut outs, it's sad Ford didn't do that from the get go like Mazda, Hyundai and Kia did. All theirs have nice dual tip exiting exhausts with cut out valences that give them a "finished" appearance instead of, the "I think we forgot something here" look that Ford went after.

#28 ·
If you read through the eBay listing it says 9x9x2... 2" height takes a lot of ground clearance away because of the way you have attach it to the main pipe... Just ask me how I know ;)

#33 ·

Kind of a weird angle... The shop didn't want to plant it against the skirts for fear of melting and vibrations... I could probably get 1/2" back but that's about it

I love the sound and I love how it cleaned up the rear. Power is def there... I wasn't expecting as big of a loss of clearance. I can't lower it until I find a way to get it back. I have a plan and should have it fixed in the coming weeks.

#37 ·

This exhaust mod. would be cool if it could be done on our cars. I saw this car on the Mecum auction. Cool 69 Mustang resto mod with a 427 Ford crate motor. no sale at 70k.

#40 ·
This exhaust mod. would be cool if it could be done on our cars. I saw this car on the Mecum auction. Cool 69 Mustang resto mod with a 427 Ford crate motor. no sale at 70k.

They did a cool set up on a Raptor here at Rich Ford... Used a marine exhaust pipe/tip that was cut and molded into the rear bumper

#38 ·
I am also interested in seeing what the result is on the dyno. With the combination of a larger exhaust (predominently) and a shorter exhaust I would suspect that back pressure is overly reduced, thereby reducing the scavenging effect and reducing engine torque output. I would like to know if I am correct. Perhaps since no header was added this will not be the case.

Steve

#39 ·
I am also interested in seeing what the result is on the dyno. With the combination of a larger exhaust (predominently) and a shorter exhaust I would suspect that back pressure is overly reduced, thereby reducing the scavenging effect and reducing engine torque output. I would like to know if I am correct. Perhaps since no header was added this will not be the case.

Steve

You can look at my dyno numbers and possibly glean some info... I've got the shortened exhaust, only 2.5" though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.