Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HELP.... Which CAI is better for my focus 12 INJEN or K&N??

9K views 78 replies 23 participants last post by  ProjectCommuter 
#1 ·
Hey guys im wondering in install a CAI in my focus, but I just want to know which has better perfomance as well as better sound??

Thanks in advance!!

#2 · (Edited)
K&N is one of the top-performing intakes, right up there with Steeda. I personally would shy away from the Injen, as it has an inferior heat shield for rejection of underhood heat.

#6 ·
I'd say steeda If you want you filter in stock location. Otherwise I think AEM or Injected's full CAI would be good choices.

Sent from my Google Edition S4

#13 ·
This x2. I couldn't stand the Typhoon-it sounded ghey to me. Very near the sound of running sans-lid. The Steeda is much better imho and cleaner sounding, and user dyno's show it to have the most gain.

For mpg and linearity I think the FRPP kit is probably the best, but it's tough to swallow the additional cost for the scoop over the K&N drop-in alone.

#11 ·
I just installed a K&N typhoon CAI 2 days ago and can't get enough. its got a great sound when accelerating hard but quiet when going slow. personally i love it. u could also check out fswerks.com but the reviews point to the K&N so yea.

#15 ·
I love my steeda and they're a vender on here as well. I'm tempted to pick up the duratec engine cover after seeing how good it looks with the steeda intake in Mr. Dyno's ^ engine bay.

#16 ·
I have the FSWerks mainly due to it's significantly lower cost... All the current intakes are going to provide some level of power increase or drivability improvement over the stock intake. There is a dyno thread on the site with lots of graphs to compare, and someone did an intake shoot-out if I recall correctly.... that may have been another site though.

#17 ·
Yes, that was over on FJ. I have difficulty with accepting the results due to the fact that they claim a 20HP gain with just the Typhoon and then opted to not test the Steeda due to is 'similar design' of other intakes.

I would be just as skeptical if an AEM vendor did a 'shootout' where the AEM was substantially better, or if an Injen vendor did a 'shootout' where the Injen was substantially better. I prefer end-user data as they generally have less to gain by publishing their results.

#18 ·
I happen to like just a filter in the stock location sans lid. Best part for me was that it was "free" since I had the filter laying around already. Noticable gain all through the rev range and better mpg by a little ove 1 mpg.

#25 ·
I have the injen and I must say, if you're not sitting in traffic all day it's bad ass. The heat shield is terrible but that is not important if you are moving. I have no dyno results however my but dyno as well as 0_60 and 40-60 and 60-80 times vs stock were around . 2 seconds difference on average, the highest gain I seen was on the 60-80 pull at just over 5.4 seconds vs stock (with snorkel in) at 5.9

#27 ·
Who's sponsored by Steeda? I know I wasn't, even though I spent my own money on an intake for my last car, then sold the intake before trading cars.

The Steeda intake was a nice piece, but it seemed to be louder than it was necessarily a performance gain. Didn't get to dyno the car afterwards, but it was supposed to be a larger gain than just the k&n filter, and with the exhaust it felt a bit better to drive, although it still got exactly the same fuel economy when driven in a reasonable manner.

#34 ·
Honestly, I would have to believe that it would do the best as well. Unfortunately we don't have any good end-user data to show what only the intake produces, and I'm confident that the AEM site has under-valued it. What I can say is that the current high-hp vehicle is running it, but obviously it's only one of many mods.

I'm also curious to see some end-user data on the Injected CAI when it hits the market. The Injected car was putting down faster 1/4 mile times than some of the slow ST's at FF13...

#76 ·
I've not seen a thread dedicated to it, but I've seen plenty of complaints about Injen's low-tech heat shield causing heat soak at idle.

#78 ·
There is no way that you're not pulling more heat in with the Injen than with the stock intake, but I'm glad it has worked for you.

My K&N has also worked very well regardless of the warning thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.