Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tuning Solution (Injected Engineering)

2M views 3K replies 193 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 · (Edited)
What are some suggestions for the entry level programmer? Maybe a 87, 91, and 93 octane tune? Maybe adjusting speedo calibration, or even a speed limiter for parent who bought one of these for their kids, and would like a added piece of mind that their little angels aren't burning the roads up? I think everyone can benefit from a discussion like this, and look forward to everyone's responses.

MK3 Ford Focus Tuning

The graph posted above is a comparison between stock and tuned on a completely stock 2013 Focus Titanium with a DCT transmission. Both runs were made with the hood down with the operating temp at the same levels. The rev limiter was also raised to 7000 RPM's for a apples to apples comparison.

See less See more
#1,484 ·
got mine in the mail today installed it after I got home. Super easy if an old-school 55 year old can do it anybody can. But then I use the torque pro program also. The only thing I haven't been able to do is down load data loggiing. But I like the tuner so far. It still pulls hard up to the new red line. Have to schedule some dynotime if I can.

#1,480 ·
Are all of you guys that bought the tuners already still under the factory warranty? Isn't getting a tune putting that into jeopardy?

#1,482 ·
Im on my Extended Warrenty now so it don't matter anyways... once I get a Tuner... ill be Golden [thumb]

#1,488 · (Edited)
So I came from a Ford Freestyle to my current DCT Focus. For those that don't know, the 2005 Freestyle came with a CVT transmission and about 200 HP. It is a big vehicle, but based on a Volvo XC90 platform. Handled like it was on rails, never felt like I was losing control of in corners.
The CVT works best under high RPMs, so when you step on the gas in a Freestyle the revs immediately go to 3-4k range and the car takes off. Driving it is like playing a video game, its all acceleration with no shift point lurches. Some complained the car was underpowered, but I drove it like I stole it and never lacked for passing ability.

I say all that to say this tune brings that feeling to the Focus. Before the tune, you step on the gas and the car hesitates, the revs shoot up, and then it starts moving. For me I usually have to put more pressure on the throttle to get it decide to move at a faster pace, especially when merging onto the freeway.

After the tune, light pressure moves it at steady acceleration while building the revs. I mashed the throttle in launch mode from a light and chirped the tires. Braking for a turn then getting back on the gas after the turn used to make the car feel like it was bogging/stalling, that's gone now. Its smoother all around and makes you feel a little cocky knowing you can blow by most cars around you.

My setup is Sparco Assetto Gara 17s, snorkel delete, K&N expanded airbox cover with open-ended K&N filter, stock exhaust. Another slight difference is that I ran the Bushur Racing filter until last week and it can get loud at WOT. Switching to the K&N quieted the engine down. After the tune, the K&N filter matches the Bushur Racing filter sound at WOT.

Loving this tune so far, and loving how it makes the car feel. But like every good thing, a little bit makes you want more. I see now I'm going to have to get an exhaust put on her for even more oomph.

edit - forgot to mention, I'm running a 93 tune.

#1,492 ·
Took some back roads on my way to work today. And it gets better and better. First gear goes so quick and smooth and it pulls all the way through it is perfect. Only 48 miles left on this tank then I can try out the 93 tune. And that's what I will use on the road trip Monday to test fuel mileage as well.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

#1,496 ·
I will make a video of the flashing process tonight! Expect it around 1130 when I get out of work! I will make a driving video too but you won't see much difference, it is all about the feel.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

#1,497 ·
The flashing process is so easy I don't think a video is necessary.

This could be a placebo, but it seems that the engine and exhaust note is more sporty/aggressive post tune. Any body else experience this? I've been meaning to make a driving video and post it... maybe I will do a video of it tonight.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

#1,500 ·
Here is one that I did a few weeks back for the snorkel-delete crowd-

I snorkel and resonator deleted, 93 octane, plus tune. This is also accelerating up a relatively steep hill, so take it for what it's worth. I had shot the video for a bit of sound capture.

#1,501 ·
If I can get a 60mph road with no traffic I can do a 0-60 and compare against my stock tune 0-60 video that I have, I am pretty sure with the better shifting it should be faster

#1,502 ·
When I installed my Steeda CAI, it woke the car up kinda like the smell of fresh brewed coffee wakes me on a Saturday morning.

When I installed my custom 2.5" CBE a few weeks later, it woke the car up kinda like after smelling the coffee, and the wife comes in and starts carressing....

When I flashed Injected's tune, it woke the car up kinda like after smelling the coffee and being carressed, the wife dumps a 5 gallon bucket of ice water on my junk.

I'M AWAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooting video won't do justice. My 5 speed car was never a slouch before, but now instead of the gas pedal giving a suggestion to the throttle, it gives it a COMMAND. It revs happily from idle into the higher RPM range, instead of being kinda timid until VCT kicks in.(yo)

I am seriously considering a road trip to see these guys and have the tune personalized for my setup. When header, TB, and any other NA goodies are avialable, I'll be heading south.

#1,503 ·
Shooting video won't do justice. My 5 speed car was never a slouch before, but now instead of the gas pedal giving a suggestion to the throttle, it gives it a COMMAND. It revs happily from idle into the higher RPM range, instead of being kinda timid until VCT kicks in.(yo)

I am seriously considering a road trip to see these guys and have the tune personalized for my setup. When header, TB, and any other NA goodies are avialable, I'll be heading south.
^This

I broke traction today off a stoplight in D mode with TCS on.

#1,511 ·
lol I hate letting the clutch out and rolling then nail it and NOTHING then it is a sloth till 3200ish then it goes "rawr" then i push clutch in and slam second then it goes "chirrpppppppp" then i smile :/ but if i could not have such a crummy throttle lag i'd be super happy :) TiStick, how far from dayton are you?

#1,526 ·
Not from Injected... There is one for the Mazda 2.0l and looks very close to the same as the one that is on the car. It has all the same sensor holes, bolt holes, ect... I know that it will bolt up without major issues but don't want to install until I know the tuner can support the extra intake air volume.

#1,527 ·
There is also a cosworth and cosworth knockoff out there.

sent from some beach :)

#1,528 ·
[poke] nock nock....who's there??? 200hp at the wheels!!! Looking forward to seeing who gets there first.

#1,529 ·
THIS!!!!!! I'm trying too! I need to get a tuner and see where I'm at with the current mods. Should be close see what I have done and what others have done with a tuner. The others. from what I have seen with a header have had issues but for the past 10K+ miles I have not seen any concerns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.