Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Exhausts

6K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  TheDriver916 
#1 ·
Hey I'm a newbie to the focus and have been doing some research on exhaust for the 2012-2013 models. I currently daily a 2013 se 5spd. I wanted to pull some more power out and wanted to know what the benefits of having a 3" vs a 2.5" will the 3" be to much.

I was also reading that none of the manufactures have a header available yet and people have used the 08-11 headers but e flex pipe is to short. Does anyone know the exact length that the flex pipe needs to be extended to on the obx package or is the a direct fit header that will soon be available for the focus.

#6 ·
I'm going with the fswerks stealth cause I like that ad Borla is overpriced. Are the headers a direct fit if I use the fswerks.

And yes this Is going in y na, the st I need stock for autoX

#16 ·
I have a custom 2.5" cat-back... I have an 18" long, 6" diameter Magnaflow muffler in the main tunnel and then a 12" Vibrant resonator in the side tunnel... There's a little drone when under load (climbing hills, etc) but at cruising you barely notice it. Went on a 1700 mile road trip and my GF never had an issue with any of the sound.

I actually have a couple videos of the sounds on YouTube

#23 ·
I have a custom 2.5" cat-back... I have an 18" long, 6" diameter Magnaflow muffler in the main tunnel and then a 12" Vibrant resonator in the side tunnel... There's a little drone when under load (climbing hills, etc) but at cruising you barely notice it. Went on a 1700 mile road trip and my GF never had an issue with any of the sound.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/redirector.php?url=http://youtu.be/Fb95dWBnisg
What exactly does the resonator do? I love the sound of your Magnaflow exhuast.

3" is over kill for the n/a Mk3... You can use an FSWERKS header for the Mk2 Duratec.
What are the benefits of getting headers, and what would I be looking at, cost wise? I'm about to do some mods and I'd like to keep it under $1000 total.

#19 ·
Thanks for the quick post. Its hard to tell what it looks like from that angle because all you see is muffler tip sticking out it might look better if you were standing next to the car. Is that a rectangular tip or just the angle throwing me off?

#22 ·
I'm actually buying the one thats for sale here on the forums so I don't have the option to email but i figure I can sawzaw the tip off and get a temporary that will screw in untill I weld it

#24 ·
The resonator is basically an empty tube that allows the exhaust resonance to bounce around and cancel itself out, thereby smoothing sound and reducing drone without creating back pressure or slowing exiting exhaust.

Headers just help to smooth out the exhaust exiting the engine and are a good tool to change the torque curve of the engine. I'm not a huge header guru... So, I'd have to research that myself LOL

This picture gives you a better idea of how the system is set up...

#25 · (Edited)
Honestly if you're looking to spend $1000 on these cars I'd suggest these mods:

K&N Drop In
2.5" Exhaust (FSWERKS Stealth is a great low price, but quality set up)
RMM (Rear Motor Mount)
Rear Sway Bar
Steeda Short Throw Shifter

#26 ·
That little thing in the picture above your Magnaflow muffler? That thing is tiny.

By K&N drop in, do you mean just the filter on the stock setup, or is that a kit in itself? (I thought it was called the Typhoon?)

I'm not sure I can do either FSWerks exhaust, the stealth or race... they both seem kind of ricey to me from the videos I've seen.

I'm not sure what RMM is or how swapping the rear sway bar helps out.

Short throw shifters are cool though, although since this is my first manual vehicle besides a motorcycle, I think I'm still trying to figure out how and when to correctly shift without getting those jerking motions.

#28 ·
Sorry, I meant below. I'm assuming that middle piece is the resonator. And no doubt I still need to do more reading, I've only just started this week.

#29 ·
Yep, Magnaflow Muffler... Vibrant resonator... Exhaust tip

The Rear sway really wakes up the stock suspension...

The stock RMM is trash and you lose a ton to the engine movement... By far a good RMM is one of the cheapest, best mods esp with the MTX75

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.