Focus Fanatics Forum banner

K&N's new intake kit

11K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  VonKaiser 
#1 ·
Air intake part Auto part

K&N's 57S Performance Airboxes increase horsepower and acceleration by dramatically reducing air flow restriction caused by the original factory design. They come with K&N's Million-Mile Limited Warranty. 57S series airboxes replace the factory air filter housing with a fully enclosed injection modified air box containing a reusable K&N air filter. Installation is easy as they are specifically engineered to use factory holes and mounting points. No additional hardware, cutting or drilling is required.

Thought I'd share, discuss.

Sent from my Optimus G

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah I'm happy with my Steeda intake, but think this is a good option for peeps who don't want the intake noise but want the power increase.

Sent from my Optimus G

#32 ·
#8 ·
Then what they sell (CARiD) ?

#9 ·
#10 ·
I'm no expert on intakes, but how much of a performance increase can be expected when all you are replacing is the air filter and the housing? Aren't there other bottlenecks in the intake system that this doesn't address?

I mean I was just looking at the AEM CAI and even they show only a maximum of a 3 HP increase.

#14 ·
Where's everyone who tried to crap on me for opening up my airbox? K&N does the same thing, charges $270, people like it[wth]

Clever marketing though. New airbox lid and open ended filter, charge $200 more the just putting the filter into your old airbox and use OE lid. I would bet a dyno of K&N lid to OE lid would be identical.

#23 ·
Troy's response:

"Hello Casey,

Good to hear from you! No headway on the MAF housing - We have tested a few in house and have determined that the filter was too tight on the housing causing it to collapse on the few we did receive.

As far as the 57i kit I'll assume you are talking about this... http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57S-4000 unfortunately the filter is not sold separately and is only sold out of our Warrington England plant, if you were to order one it would take months for it to get here because we do not stock the 57i kits at our US facility.

If you have any questions please let me know! Have a great day.

Best Regards,

Troy Green
K&N Engineering
Warranty / R&D Department
Ph: 800-858-3333 X-4161
Fax: 951-826-4003"

#30 ·
I think that everyone is missing the point of this lid. The lid may not be more "open," but what it does allow for a larger volume of air AROUND the filter. This give you the cool air of a closed lid, but almost as much volume as an open filter (without all the noise). This I like adding a taller air breather to a carb or a better flowing breather lid. There have been proven tests done for years showing the benefits of a high flow lid. Moroso makes one of the best short of the open K&N carb lid which some builders still do not like because of how it directs the flow.

#44 ·
Do you have the catalog number?

I was looking at the Green filter earlier today. Did it go into your existing box? Do you have the catalog number?

Thanks! [cheers]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.