Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Exhaust question

6K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  jimfocus 
#1 ·
Hi all, i know someone posted about the dual tip exhaust they did on their Focus, that pretty blue one with the nice tips coming out the rear. He used a Borla 40477, i was wondering if the Borla 40348 would make a difference. Both seem to be 1 in 2 out mufflers. New to the Focus, did the newmission mod and snorkel delete this weekend and now needing an exhaust to hopefully get the most from all this.

#2 ·
I don't know the cfm ratings for the two, but a quick glance at the specs show that they should be similar. I would imagine that the biggest difference between the two would be the sound and possibly the longevity.

Out of curiosity, are you piping the whole exhaust to 2.5" or are you just going to do a lunchbox delete and finish it like this? My reason for questioning is due to the fact that you won't see a performance gain if you go with the latter of the two. If performance is what you're after, then you'll need to open up closer to the cat.

#3 ·
A couple people have used the Borla 40477 because it's design is more convenient for routing the dual piping compared to a design like the 40348.

With the 40348, you would have to route two pipes from the right side with the right tip being an easy gradual 90 degree bend, but the one for the left side being, well, kind of a mess. Especially for a space that really isn't that big.

The closest example would be the new Ford Racing ST exhaust, but they use a single exit and create a dual tip for the middle-exit. It's not a dual exit exhaust like you are wanting, but the bends you would have to do for the driver's side exit would be similar (except longer). I don't think it would look very nice or be worth it to save some money.

I know it's over a hundred bucks more, but I'd do the 40477 and make it easier on whoever is bending you some piping.

Also, dyn085 raised a good question concerning gains.

#4 ·
@ Dyn085: A mix of cosmetics and performance. there is a shop here in town that can do custom work so i was going to have them do the full Cat-back 2.5.

@Bwill9886: price is a bit of concern (yeah funny to see that with a custom work comment) but you said the 40348 would be more for a middle exit? hhhmm that sounds nice as well. dammit! more to research!

and a follow up, it goes muffler, resonator muffler for the system correct? (stock that is)

#5 ·
Correct, except that in some vehicles there is also a second cat as well, just aft of the coupling. There are some pics in some of the other exhaust threads, I will see if I can dig them up in a bit when I get near my 'puter.

#6 ·
thanks Dyn. just checked out a few shops in town.

1st shop didn't give me a price but said to check out Moroso and to stay with a 2 inch pipe. "any bigger without a turbo would lose performance" to quote him. Also he would make the cut from just after the coupling forward of the front muffler, run either a muffler from there and a straight pipe back to either dual or single exhaust OR 2nd option was straight pipe to a muffler where the current lunch box is and do the Dual exhaust like Sleighman did in http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269081 His third option was to do a center exhaust similar to option #2. But again no pricing for any of these.

the other shop (Down in Yulee, Fl) said it would be $150 for install (includes bending etc etc) 40 for the pipe plus parts. I said i would bring my own muffler and tip(s) And this shop said to go with a 2 1/4 in pipe.

#8 ·
Well, if the first guy thinks you need a turbo in order to go over 2" then he is sadly mistaken. Exhaust requirements are driven by the amount of air needed to be moved (driven by power output), and our high-compression motors move a lot of air. Our vehicles are very nearly maxed from the factory at 2", even with mandrel bent tubing.

2.25" will make power/raise fuel economy and 2.5" is pretty much the max we can need without going forced induction. I would personally go with either the second or third option, but I would add a resonator somewhere downstream of the cat, probably in the tunnel.

#7 ·
If you want any performance gains go at the very least 2.25" or its a waste of money... 2.5" seems in many cases the sweet spot for performance ability to go further as more performance parts, tuning becomes available. You may quickly hit a ceiling with 2.25"!

#9 ·
Well, I am having problems finding the pics of the two different exhausts so I will just post a picture of mine. If your exhaust looks like this then you can open up much closer to the exhaust coupling. If you have another resonator-looking element forward of the muffler (in the open space) then that is a second cat and you should open up after it.

#10 ·
yep mine looks like that.. just a straight run from the coupling to the 1st muffler, then that bends to the drivers side and a slightly larger piping run through muffler #2 then a few more bends to muffler #3 to the little tip under the bumper.

SO... it looks like i should open up to 2.5 in from just past the coupling and stay that size. *looks over shoulder* ok wife inst in view so go with the Borla 40477, should i keep "muffler #2" or just straight 2.5 to the 40477?

thanks for all the advice with this, looking for a little more pep without going crazy loud, used to have a 71 super bug with a loud exhaust that the wife, at that time was the girl friend, complained about it waking her up at Oh-five-fifteen-by god its to early in the morning!!! When she lived next door and her bedroom was in the BACK of the house a good 300 Ft from the road lol!

#13 ·
It depends how loud you want it. If you are looking for a deep tone but not wake up your neighbors then go with two mufflers. But if you use one muffler, make sure you place that muffler toward the rear of the car, otherwise you will get some drone.

#14 ·
OK all again thanks for all the info I think (if i am doing this right) muffler #1 goes the way of the recycle bin... muffler #2 (resonator) replaced with Borla part # 40842s and then muffler #3 replaced with Borla 40477. All with 2.5 in piping from the coupling back.

And the wife just threw her 2 cents in about "IT BETTER NOT BE LOUD AS THAT DAMN BUG YOU HAD!!!" crap she read over the shoulder....

little does she know her Focus is next.....

#15 ·
You could always try the this: I was going to do this but ordered the Borla 140400. From what have read on the forum many people like the resonators.

Vibrant muffler 10633
Vibrant resonator 1141 or 1793

or the borla with resonator 1141 or 1793.

#16 ·
If you think your installer can get the piping routed from that 40477 properly then I guess go for it. I think it'll be kind of a mess, but it's not my car.

With the 40842S and that, you will have a sound similar to FocusBoy58's car (before the header install) and mine. Though it will be much more quiet if you don't have an intake. Those things are real noise-makers even without an exhaust.

Even if you went with only one muffler it still will not compete with a modified old Bug haha! Now those can really make some noise!

#17 ·
[unsure]Ok I have a random one for you guys. I know that if you want performance you go cat back. Since I have not yet figured out what I can and cannot do to my ride without violating my warranty, if I go with axle back I can go back later once warranty is up and do the rest correct? I know I'll get decent sound but that should be it right?[confused]

#20 ·
Yes, you can do this and have two options. You can do the lunch box delete or buy fords axle back kit to replace the rear muffler. You will see little to no hp gain with either of these but an increase in sound. But will be able to go back and replace the first part of the exhaust later,

#18 ·
I think it has be answered (in numerous post) that cat back will not void the warranty unless they can some how place the problem on the modification you did.... but i don't see how even the most unscrupulous dealer can pull that off.

on a different note i (from experience) i Don't trust ford customer service farther than i can through them and think they hinder more than help. That is the whole reason i now have the 2 Foci instead of a 2011 F250 diesel lariat... major issues in the regen cycle that they couldn't fix so in lieu of a long drawn out battle with lawyers and the lemon law i proposed a trade of 2 new cars for 1 truck. Also solved the problem of the wife needing a new car.

#21 ·
I think it has be answered (in numerous post) that cat back will not void the warranty unless they can some how place the problem on the modification you did.... but i don't see how even the most unscrupulous dealer can pull that off.
Indeed.

That and obviously they won't work on the modified exhaust. Unless it's a Ford Racing product that was installed by them.

People have occasionally run into dealers that won't work on your car at all if it's been modified; even if you only have basic bolt-ons. However, that's pretty rare. Some are just overly cautious and clearly have been burnt before. Can't say I blame them.

Just check with your dealer first if you are unsure.

#23 ·
slightly off topic but since it has something to do with all the mods i'm doing. I drove a co worker home this afternoon and reset the lie-o-meter to show him what the snorkel delete and newmisson mod did for the car. it started at 30.0 mpg right after the reset , then in the 10 miles driving @55 with cruise on, it crept up to 46.4 before turning into residential. he was shocked and mad that his wife wont let him buy a new car lol

we will see what happens this weekend after i get the new exhaust on it. I'll keep everyone posted and once i can find the camera post some pics of it.

Again thanks all for the input!

#24 ·
All done with the exhaust, went with a Magnaflow 12616 that took the place of muffler #1 deleted the stock resonator, and dropped the Borla 40477in for exhaust #3. And topped it off with "Magnaflow 35136 for the tips.

http://s1245.beta.photobucket.com/user/pdurchuck/media/100_0591.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

pardon the dealer logo still on the car. Had them drop the price a couple of $$ for the free advertisement. Its coming off soon.

http://s1245.beta.photobucket.com/user/pdurchuck/media/100_0590.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

me and my shadow..... ie the wife's focus

#26 ·
Well from what mufflers you have on there it should sound good. Definitely should get a sound clip to compare it to the other Borla/Magnaflow setups.

Tips are a nice style as well, thanks for sharing. I was looking at those for when I switch to a dual setup as well, but they are a 1/2 inch too big.

The tips do look a little lonely not being recessed into the bumper cover like others have done.

#28 ·
Looks great! A million times better than stock. I can't wait to hear your setup.

#30 ·
Major restrictions?

I run a 12226 magnaflow 14" muffler with no resonators and 2.5" exhaust, and this thing gets 42 MPG. and I don't mind driving it, way more nimble than my lighting. but if I was rich, I would rather be in my Lightning...

my avatar is now the 12226 magnaflow....

And my tip is just plain 2.5 pipe. sleeper YO... ( or I am ashamed of ricing, but alas it's an oval, blue oval that is, pure speed, american style.. the beverly hillbilles.... )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.