Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What MPG does your DURATEC Ti-VCT get on the HIGHWAY ONLY ?

68K views 375 replies 155 participants last post by  Slicknick 
#1 ·
Looking for Highway #s only and only for this specific engine please.

Please give the following info.....

- Year car
- Tranny type (Auto or Manual)
- Avg Speed
- Driving conditions (hills, flat land, varied)
and
- Any mods that may effect fuel economy.

#2 ·
MTX-75
70mph ~36MPG
65mph ~38MPG

These numbers would be averages for flat, no wind conditions with 87 octane E10. I would like to try 60MPH, but I just can't force myself to drive that slow on the freeway! I would expect over 40MPG at that speed.

Mods are in sig.

Note: You probably would have got a better response to this thread if it weren't in the performance section.

#3 ·
MTX 75 SE Sport
Newmission esque intake (K&N)
New stock motorcraft plugs (30k mile replacement)
87 E10

55mph - 44mpg
60mph - 41mpg
65mph - 38mpg
70mph - 37.5mpg
75mph - 36.5mpg
80mph - 35mpg
85mph - 34mpg
90+mph - 32mpg

#4 ·
2012 SEL sedan
Auto
avg spd: 75 87 octane
Avg MPG: 35
Terrain: varied, mostly flat with occasional up and down grade.
Mods: only real mod is K&N drop in

This is done with normal everyday driving conditions and weather. Has been constant with either A/C or heat on. this also includes occasional heavy acceleration to get up to speed entering expressway. my lowest was 33 mpg(only 1 tank at that) and highest was 36.4. usually around the 34.8 range.

#8 ·
I have some data for ya, but it pretty much mimicks what others have posted.

'12 SE hatch
5spd manual trans (this thing really needs a 6spd!)
4,500mi total odometer
factory stock (except a Purdue sticker on the back window)
87 (cheapstuff) fuel

I have a 34mile commute (one way) to work each day. In the mornings with little to no traffic all but 3 of those miles are on the interstate with the cruise set at 65 (10 over [shhh] ) On the way home it's the same, with the exception of about 3 miles of stop and go interstate through downtown. Fuel mileage is consistently in the mid 32mpg range for that scenario

Road trip from Louisville to Evansville, IN. Myself, Wife, and son with all gear in the hatch, cruise set at 75mph. Car made the trip on one tank, but the mileage was only about 34mpg.

Road trip to Cape Girardeau, MO from Louisville. Same load as Evansville. Cruise set on 75mph both directions. One tank each way essentially. 34.5mpg there, almost 37 on the way home. I suspect no A/C and a tailwind helped on the way home. A/c on, and 15-20mph steady cross/head wind on the way there.

Terrain in most all cases was "somewhat hilly". It's not flat as a pancake, but it's not climbing any mountains either.

#10 ·
How do you guys get such low mileage? I drive from my home to class pretty regularly going around 65 mph and I typically get between 42-44, and that's with some city driving before getting to the highway. Maybe 5-10 miles worth.

#11 ·
There's a big difference between 65 mph and 70-75, as far as mileage is concerned.

Hey, rather than bragging about your great gas mileage, how about being helpful and giving the OP the information he asked for? Note that the OP was VERY clear about what info he wanted, and that it should only include HIGHWAY mileage.

^^^This, though be warned that if you have it moved there that the thread will ultimately go down the tubes and/or be full of more bickering/arguing than you'll really care to deal with...
[giddy] Good point!

#13 ·
I've only done a purely highway tank once, and it was when the car had ~800 miles on it. I'm now up to 2,450 miles and the mileage seems like it may have improved a bit. I've used 93 octane from day one (I don't think it does jack for mileage, but use it because I believe it improves drivability and performance on these cars.).

-5MT
-Varied, with some very steep hills thrown in for part of the trip.
~75 mph
-38 psi/36 psi F/R, IIRC
-33.5 mpg

#15 ·
I'm not sure how I failed to provide the information the OP requested. And yes I didn't reset my MPG computer on the highway, yet I still got 44 MPG so if anything it would have been higher. I struggle getting anything more than 25 MPG around town so that would skew my numbers down ever so slightly towards the conservative side.

#16 ·
I'm not sure how I failed to provide the information the OP requested.
He very specifically asked for highway MPG only. "Skewing" in either direction is likely what he's trying to avoid.

I thought his instructions were fairly easy to follow...

#18 ·
Get on the highway, set cruise, reset your MPG average, and drive for several miles. No teleportation needed.

#22 ·
Not as impressive as Focusboy (41.5mpg @ 78mph is incredible). You modified the spark plug gaps and everything right?

Titanium w/Handling pkg + 18inch Summers (so DCT) - Build Date Feb 2011
20,000km (about 12,000miles)
Currently no mods (just ordered K&N drop in + plan to do snorkel removal)
I often drive for about 100km on the highway each way (62miles), very hilly.

60mph(98km/h) - 42-47mpg
65mph - 39-44mpg
70mph - 37-40mpg
75mph - 35-37mpg

#23 ·
Hello guys. I bought a titanium 2012 mont and a half ago. 6 speed "automatic" transmission. I have 3200 km (1988 miles) on it.
So I suppose that my mpg will go down with the time but for now the results I see here some of them sound like a science fiction to me :).
So when I'm driving on a highway with 100 - 115 km/h (62 - 71 mph) and reset the average I get 7 - 7.5 L/100 (33.6 - 31.36 mpg) And I can get this only after a long driving. I don't know is it the same with you but right after reseting the average, it starts with 8.5 - 9 L/100 (27.67 - 26.1 mpg) and going down very slow and only of I support constand speed without step on the pedal too much.[/B][/B] May be it wil be the same with the cruise control but I didn't use it yet. If it is a driving with a little bit much more breaking and acceleration the results will be really awful. If somebody share some numbers at the beginning right after reseting the counter for the mpg I'll really appreciate that :)

#25 · (Edited)
Yes I do it also but usually there are no big differences between the evidence of the car and my own calculations. And anyway if you want to measure only highway it is impossible to do it based on calculating the quantity of gaz over the distance you have made. You have to transport somehow the car to the highway without making it spend gas.

#26 ·
And one more question. Do we all mean US miles ? because if somebody means Imperial miles it is not the same. Usually I work with km/h. But If I switch to mpg I think for me it will not be the same because I'm in Canada and here the mile is imperial. I beleive that the cars are adapted to that.

#29 ·
I think it's safe to assume that the OP wants US miles, since he lives in Ohio.

#32 ·
my MPG with the 5spd manual on the highway

55mph- 42
65mph- 37
75mph- 36

Now AFTER Steeda Intake install

55mph- 37
65mph- 35
75mph- 34

however when i installed the intake the average outside temp dropped quite a bit and its the time of year for winter blends of fuel, so that might have more to do with the drop in mpg than the intake itself.

#33 ·
In late September I made a 1900 mile trip from McCall (west central Idaho mountains) to Berkeley, CA, three days of driving time total, with the first and third days almost entirely highway/freeway:

'12 SE hatch
5 speed manual
no mods
89 octane gas

day one: 13 hours through Idaho mountains and Oregon plains to Crescent City, CA - average speed appx. 60, average mpg 42

day three: 13 hours from Berkeley to McCall, via Nevada, mostly flat lands with notable mountains at Tahoe and in Idaho - average speed appx. 70, average mpg 38.

#34 ·
DCT
Speed: 65 mph (106 km/h)
Trip: 25 km
Driving conditions: Flat

----- Results ------
6.3 l/100 km = 37.34 mpg - when using 87 octane (winter fuel)
5.8 l/100 km = 40.56 mpg - when using 91 octane (summer fuel)
-------------------

These are my highway readings. If you go under 65 mph, you'll see better numbers.
I did once a round-trip Montréal - Toronto in a day (almost 1200 km) and at 65 mph I got 6.0 l/100 = 39 mpg. There are some hilly areas and I was very pleased with the mpg.

--------------------
My Fuelly is this (I track almost everything but the first three fill-ups and some 1600 km in the spring 2012):

#35 ·
im just under 2k miles on mine, have not had a chance to make a highway run long enough to calculate milage. one thing ive found is that my in dash mpg reads almost a full 2mpg less than calculating the actual miles driven on gallons used. been averaging 30mpg and the gauge says 28. its about 50/50 city highway driving and im no where close to driving it like i care about my fuel economy. basically i drive it like i stole it. Its double what i got in my 05 f150 so not complaining.

#36 ·
Just about to roll over 14,000...

On my current road trip I have had the worst tank of gas at 29.8mpg and best at 34.9mpg (via hand calculations)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.