Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Snorkel Delete

2M views 2K replies 358 participants last post by  BKmk3 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: This thread started based on other dyno work I was doing at the time. Let me clarify the fact that this will not increase power if you have the OEM filter installed. You MUST have an aftermarket filter in order to see power gains! Also, if you have a closed-end filter then you need to do this for power gains as well!

Edit: In the following posts/pages you will see how to cut and/or remove the shroud that directs air to the radiator. There is no data to confirm or deny possible gains by doing that work. It is something that I had initially done on my vehicle prior to having created this thread. You do NOT have to do this to achieve the gains from the snorkel delete/drop-in filter!

Edit: Added dyno charts at the bottom.

A few people have asked for a quick how-to for this, so I'll try to post up something visual. I don't have my snorkel anymore to show you, but when you pull back the black plastic you will see the difference between my pics and stock.

First you must pull the four push-pins out of the plastic where it attaches to the radiator support (just forward of the two intake runners) Also, I would slide the hood release out of it's holder where it makes the 90° bend. This will help you pull back the shroud.

After you pull back the shroud, you will see the snorkel on your car that is not in this pic. There are two push-pins on the drivers side and another push-pin on the passenger side. They are a little difficult if it's just you, fyi.

After you remove the snorkel you will see the plastic piece that keeps air directed to the radiator from under the whiskers. I only cut my drivers side (evidenced by the fingers), though others have cut both sides and some have even cut the whole top section. The only way I know to remove this (so far) without cutting is to remove the entire bumper cover.

Hopefully this helps. I would've set my snorkel in to show, but it went the way of the circular file. This is a mod that would never need to be reversed because incoming water would have to travel vertically 1-2" to get in the plenum, and dealerships won't be popping the top cover to verify it is installed. At a minimum, the snorkel must be removed for the additional hp/tq of an aftermarket drop-in air filter.

Edit: All of these pics are with the front of the car on the bottom. Sorry, that's just how it came out.

OEM-

Snorkel Delete/Drop-in-

Same car, same dyno, same day.

Sent from my stupid phone.

Edit: Add 2016 video by ChalupaJones

As promised, here's my snorkel delete video filmed by my lovely wife.
https://vimeo.com/164179828

I hope this helps you guys out! If you have any questions hit me up!

See less See more
#5 ·
No prob, glad it helps[thumb] I've been meaning to do it for a while and just been slacking.

I just removed this tonight. The car is smoother at idle and off idle for sure. Havent had a chance to test it in real world conditions yet as we have gotten ~8inches of rain in 3 days. Thank you Jesus for the rain tho. Not sure if fabricating any sort of apparatus to redirect the air to the inlet left behind would yield any appreciable gains vs the hassle of fabing up and install.
I've had the intent of fabbing up a fiberglass scoop to collect the width of the whisker and give it a better path to the radiator support, but I've also been slacking with that too. I don't think there would be an appreciable gain in anything other than possibly getting better mpg's, but don't quote me on it. In hindsight, I would have much rather done a scoop there than Newmissioned my airbox...

Reactions: artd1985
#3 ·
I just removed this tonight. The car is smoother at idle and off idle for sure. Havent had a chance to test it in real world conditions yet as we have gotten ~8inches of rain in 3 days. Thank you Jesus for the rain tho. Not sure if fabricating any sort of apparatus to redirect the air to the inlet left behind would yield any appreciable gains vs the hassle of fabing up and install.

#8 ·
So I got as far as getting it all apart. I only lost one clip! [thankyou] How necessary do we suppose it is to cut that flap for any kind of gain?

#13 ·
I removed my snorkel yesterday and I was able to remove the the plastic piece that directs the air to the radiator. I did not have to do any cutting to remove it. There were two metal clips on each side that were holding it in place as well as the plastic clips. It did take a little force but it came out clean and I can put it back in if needed.

#14 ·
Well I'm certainly glad I didn't cut in to anything. I was looking at cutting the rubber flap. Apparently that's not the right part.

#15 ·
Thats awesome, I wish I could have seen those and just pulled it out. Maybe I'll get back in there tonight or this weekend and pull mine. I'm going to paste your pics in the initial post once I get my laptop up and running again so that others can see it and know the option[thumb]

#16 ·
Ok. Here is the snorkel, for those that are new and want to see what it looks like.

This is as it sits in the car.

Is this what we're all talking about cutting?

If so there are 2 clips holding it in. Pictured here:

It comes out after removing the 2 clips albeit not the easiest. Definitely some resistance. If I pulled the wrong piece out...suck. [facepalm][mad] Because it'll be a bugger to put back in.

#17 ·
The pictures of the clip are sideways. The front of the car is to the right.

Edit: I fixed the pictures orientation and added arrows to show clips location. Oriented so that front of car is bottom of picture.

#18 ·
Yep, that's the piece that gets cut[thumb]

Removal is much more appealing for the sake of reversibility, imho. Thanks for figuring it out!

#19 ·
Thanks for the pics. I have been searching here to try and find a good walk through of how to do this to mine. I hope to give it a try tonight. I hope it makes a difference, I mean I guess anything is good for free! :) I just want there to be more low end power, seems like in the low RPM's this car can really bog down. I hope this is just the first of many mods on mine.

#21 · (Edited)
I made my 70 mile round trip commute today in heavy rain and had no issues. The car felt like it had better response especially when I had to gun it to merge onto the interstate. I also noticed I was getting better gas mileage. I now have snorkel delete, new mission mod, and a drop in K&N. All I need now is a better exhaust.

Not sure why the piece I took out looks different but it could be because I have a 3/11 build date.

Here are some more photos.

#22 ·
You do know that you just removed a crucial part of the cooling system right?...just saying your radiator now has terrible airflow.

Now, removing the snorkel on the airbox and the air horn is a GREAT mod..that is what I have done

#27 ·
Well, I put the lid back on and did the snorkel delete. Still need to take out the flap, but just going for a drive I notice a difference in the lower rpms. Much better than just lid off. Filling up tomorrow and am gonna run a tank to see mpg gains without cutting the flap.

#28 ·
My previous readings were
P(intake)=2,16 Bar
T(in)=82 Celcius
T(ambient)=36 Celcius

After 1st readings this was 2 months ago ;put ngk iridium spark plugs and removed the snorkel (didnt cut anything)and went for an obd testing .As i can

read from excel output tables;

P(in)=2,41 Bar
T(in)=51 Celcius
T(ambient)=21 Celcius
Also max mass air flow is 145,19 gm/s.

Having kn air intake filter E-2993 in both records.

#30 ·
Yay! I did the snorkel delete! I took out the 2 pieces, they came out somewhat easily. Tight space but its doable.

I can definitely say I noticed a difference now when sitting idle. It does not vibrate now and acceleration feels solid. Good mod to do! Took me about 10 minutes! woo hoo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.