Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Whats your take on Pulstar Plugs

9K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
So ive never tried Pulstar Plugs Im trying to cross some part numbers and find the plug that we would need on the focus. One thing Ive been sceptical about has been the results of pulstars in cars.

two questions
if available who would buy the pulstars for the 2012 2.0L

and what have your results been on other cars

Thanks Justin

#2 ·
Had really great luck with Brisk LGS plugs but no one makes aftermarket plugs for our cars yet...heard Pulstars can create RF interferance with some drive by wire systems etc.

Brisk LGS plugs personal results 02 Mustang GT 4.10 gears, full bolt ons, brisk lgs plugs=24MPG

#3 ·
well ive been talking with lou Camilli who handles new cars and there is an after market sparkplug for the 2012 2.0 tivct (ford P/N=sp-535) the after market plug is an autolite P/N xp5364.. with the specification from autolite the cross to the pulstar plugs is the EF1 series in platinum EF1p and iridium EF1i.

#8 ·
What kind of differences? I ran pricey plugs on my 400hp turbo Eclipse and noticed no gains or losses when I went back to simply NGK plugs. It's hard to imagine any real significant gains on a low hp NA engine.

#10 ·
ok well i've got a better throttle response. On the dyno test we gained 2hp Pre-learn. my exhaust don't sound raspy as much, and the 40mph to 80mph (in 4th gear)pull went from 17.3sec to 16.9sec. we could not complete the fuel flow test because of the direct injection pump causing pulsations making the dyno think we used a gallon in a quarter mile so right now its just about driving like normal for two weeks and then go dyno it again for the final test after the computer and fuel trims adjust. On the plus side, my normal avg mpg on the dash has gone from 31mph to 34mph .. my real test is going to be traveling on the freeway at 75mph

#11 ·
The other day my dyno friend and I were talking about testing some different plugs and gaps to see where power is optimized. It's not uncommon for people to see increases (or decreases) from changing off of the OEM plug and gap, to the point that the serious hp/drag freaks even go as far as indexing them within the cylinder.

Good job[thumb]

#14 ·
My opinion is there a waste of time and money , I tested then on the Zetec and the early duratec as well as with boost , nothing that I could say was from the plugs , a set of new coppers made the same power as well as a new set of stock plugs new all tested at the same time , I choose the copper because there 1 step cooler and thats good for performance adders

Any time you install a new plug you get better performance , you will see a 1-3 HP gain going from a copper with 5000 miles on it to a new copper of the same kind and gap

2HP is very hard to 100% test for and to say , that 2 HP came from X that we added , a 5 deg temp and humidity change will be 2 HP , chage in how the fan is blowing on the engine can be 2HP

With out testing a new set of stock NEW plugs gapped the same , copper NEW plugs , Autolight XP or AR non plat or irid plugs then the puls star you will never know how good any one plug is and thats takes days on the dyno and weeks if not months of driving

I am sorry but this test proves nothing because there was no base test or proper dyno testing done

Sounds like puls star needed a gini-pig to make there product look good like they tried to do with me , when they didnt get the gains they wanted they stopped talking to me

Tom

#19 ·
I agree with needing to see solid gains. Without knowing exact pricing it's difficult to say, but just the little info I've seen indicate a high cost and therefor would need to produce a decent gain. They claim 50k miles, which can spread the cost out a bit, but overall right now I'm just curious.

#20 ·
Was there before/after testing on the same dyno and same day/time frame? Air quality (temperature, humidity, barometer, elevation) can have as much impact as a spark plug in my experience.

Whats the tolerance that the Dyno can measure to? If it's +/-5hp, then a 2hp gain is not attributed to anything but randomness. If it's +/-1/2hp, then a 2hp gain could be considered accurate.

A bunch of "little things" can add up to one "big thing", but to measure each "little thing" along the way is difficult, especially when using quantitative terms as subjective as "I have much better throttle response".

Just some thoughts.

#21 ·
While that is the common perception of dyno data, it actually takes a pretty substantial change in order to throw dyno numbers off. There will be a greater variance based on vehicle temp and heat soak than that of the outside temps/pressures/humidity.

Theoretically, if they are splitting graphs over a couple of weeks, we should be seeing SAE corrected information that makes corrections relative to environmental conditions.

Sent from my stupid phone.

#22 ·
While that is the common perception of dyno data, it actually takes a pretty substantial change in order to throw dyno numbers off. There will be a greater variance based on vehicle temp and heat soak than that of the outside temps/pressures/humidity.
I agree. Sort Of. I've seen the same car dyno'd in the morning at one number, then have a warm front move through, dyno again in the afternoon and get two different numbers. This was assuming heat soak was similar due to the truck sitting all day between runs. We were trying to get some data on dyno accuracy, and ended up wasting the day as the data was so far skewed that it wasn't usable. Hence my second question of whay is the tolerance that the dyno can measure. Combine that with heat soak, and environmental changes, and I don't see how a 2hp gain can be considered accurate, or attributable to any single change.

This is neglecting the combining effects of a system.

#23 ·
ive seen so many bull[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* about spark plugs im actually very sceptical about putting wrong plugs in cars. but the enerpulse guys actually have the iridium plug that is made for the 2012 focus. where at the older engines ie. Zetec, and duratec require a softer metal like copper.(im saying this off hand since i do not know what the require). so believe me i get were most of you are saying "expensive plugs dont work".

these plugs are free. im going to the dyno at the enerpulse manufacturing facility. first intial test was on 9/11/12. prelearn

second test is undetermined right now i have not gotten a call yet but its going to be on the same dyno with probably colder temperature.

i got 12k on my focus. 2hp gain from a 70k copper plug i understand. im sure the 2hp gain from new OEM spark plugs to the pulstar plugs is pretty good. i bought my car to save gas and right now im doing 41mpg on the freeway doing 75mph .. ive never done that with this car. so im pretty convinced these plugs are working.

otherwise i know most of you dont want to buy into this "expensive plug" but im sold on it im ordering some for my customers for an ecoboost and a hemi. see how those tests actually go too.

im going on a long trip this weekend ill see how much really it will average on a 300 mile freeway run

#25 ·
my build date was 1/9/2012 its listed 9.1.2012 i picked it up in February so i assume its January. we found out at enerpulse the plugs have a totally different part number than the sp-535 which is in the ford catalog. i still got the oem plugs at home i will post the part numbers as soon as i can.

#26 ·
CYFS-12-Y1 or SP-535

xp5364 was cross reference to the 4-2.0L F/inj. (16V) DOHC (3) [2004-2000]

xp5363 :

4-2.0L F/inj. (16V) DOHC (2) [2012]
4-2.0L F/inj. (16V) DOHC (9) [2012]
4-2.0L F/inj. (16V) DOHC Flex Fuel (2) [2012]
4-2.0L D.I. (16V) DOHC Turbo (9) [2012]

#30 ·
ok update on the plugs i went on a long freeway trip from albuquerque to gallup NM thats about 132miles oneway plus a 25mile drive to zuni nm. My avg mph was at 39.2 and thats with my custom ram air stock box. And a lunchbox delete. nothing else i traveled 80mph with cruise control on all the way from gallup to albuquerque.

#33 ·
How about doing a test like this:

Begin with a brand new set of OEM plugs and a brand new set of the Pulsars, then...

1. Dyno with the OEM plugs
2. Swap in the Pulsars, then Dyno
3. Repeat 1 and 2 3X and do all tests back-to-back.

Brian

#34 ·
This would be possible if the cars computer would adjust extremely quickly. the cars computer has to learn new fuel trims and new timing with different spark plugs everytime. so doing it back to back would be pointless and wont have reliable numbers. this is why I've tested a pre-learn stage then later on a learned stage dyno test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.