Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released.

92K views 346 replies 70 participants last post by  Focus2.0SEL 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to let you guys know that K&N has released the kit that YOU helped us with!

Here is the information

K&N Part# 69-3517TS Typhoon Intake system.

Peak HP gain = 9.97 @ 5872rpm
Peak Torque gain = 10.44 @ 4428rpm

Dyno sheet HERE.

A few notes on the dyno, the vehicles that were tested were automatic and ran in second gear on our in-house dyno. More information on dyno testing at K&N can be found HERE.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, thank you once again focusfanatics.com members without you we couldn't have released this kit!

Troy. [ffrocks]

#291 ·
Hey Everyone,
So I found the KN 69-3517TS on Amazon for 245 with Prime.
I read all the pages of this thread and was pumped but then I saw the thread with the issues regarding the MAF cracking so now I'm kinda doubting it.

Should I buy it? Is this a good deal? I think AA has it for 282 now - 15% coupon so $240 and I think it comes with a recharge kit. But I also get 3% back on Amazon purchases (1% on everything else) so it ends up being the exact same price for me purchasing through Amazon and AA but maybe AA comes with a recharge kit. Is AA's customer service on par with Amazon's?

Also, do I have to remove the Snorkel? I know I need to remove fresh air vent or whatever K&N calls it, but they don't say anything about removing the snorkel (which I'd rather not do since it requires taking out clips I guess...

Finally, has anyone gone to Ford to get their oil changed or other service and do they care about putting this or other intakes in. I have 2 years 25k miles of oil changes from a Ford dealer and I'd rather not have to take the K&N out every time I go for an oil change. If not the K&N is there a better model I should get?

Thanks!
-Vanq

#292 ·
It's a non-problem, really. Just take some care and don't overtighten the filter. It takes a good amount of (excessive) force to crack the MAF housing.

#297 ·
The other thing you should do is widen the mounting slot so the housing sits centered. Mine contacted on the side anyway.

#300 ·
That may be true-I'm definitely not trying to discount the possibility-but have you ever pulled your headlight and closed your hood on the Typhoon to see how much is actually open around it? If you haven't, all I can say is that I was surprised.

I agree that if it does help the Typhoon that you can't get a similar benefit on other designs with the exception of the Steeda. Now I'm curious to see what data would show as a comparison...[idea]

#301 ·
That may be true-I'm definitely not trying to discount the possibility-but have you ever pulled your headlight and closed your hood on the Typhoon to see how much is actually open around it? If you haven't, all I can say is that I was surprised.
Yes, actually I did that when you had mentioned it before. Mine seals pretty well to the hood, especially at the back side of the snorkle.

I'm not saying that removing the snorkle will make a remarkable difference, but I doubt there is any air flowing along that K&N heat shield with the snorkle in place. It's pretty obvious from the water spots/tracks after a rain that some fresh air is getting in there now.

#302 ·
Hmm, ok then. So I don't have to remove it but I could? (I am not planning on removing or cutting anything that's not very easy to put back since I don't know how long I'll be keeping this focus).

What intake should I get, all things considered, this one, the FSWerks, the Steeda? I noticed the Steeda directs the current air inlet to right below it's filter but I don't know if that makes a difference. I care about ease of installation as well.

I'm not sure if anybody knows this but do dealers care about having an after market intake on the vehicle (IE will it affect the warranty) when I get the oil changed at the dealer?

#303 ·
Hmm, ok then. So I don't have to remove it but I could? (I am not planning on removing or cutting anything that's not very easy to put back since I don't know how long I'll be keeping this focus).
You could remove it for a little benefit if you buy the K&N--it's up to you whether it's worth it. I wouldn't bother if you buy another brand. No one will ever know if you remove the snorkel, so don't worry about ever putting it back on.

Your warranty can not be voided by installation of aftermarket products unless it is determined that the specific aftermarket product you're using is at fault for the issue of the warranty claim.

As to which one to choose... Well, that's up to you. Buy the one that makes you happy.

#309 ·
I followed that thread and it raises serious questions to me. I find it interesting that just an intake could produce numbers that our members here can't achieve without an exhaust. This becomes more evident when you notice the fact that the graphs don't all cross over at 5250 rpm. That is a mathematical constant and shows an incorrect calibration. I understand the scaling argument, but I would have to see the scaling equalized to verify. Once you take into account the fact that the Steeda wasn't tested and the fact that he is a vendor for the kit with the largest gain...

I have no intention of trying to discount the fact that the Typhoon does create a gain and it is an impressive system. I liked the quality of it, the install was straightforward, and you can generally purchase a brand-new system for what I consider a good price. I just don't like the fact that that particular thread shows a very bad example of a comparison dyno test and no one seems to recognize how or why it is flawed. As you can see, these flawed numbers have already led to sales by people that are putting their faith in so-called 'experts'.

Edit: I went back over the graphs and tried to plot out 5250 as best as I could on my phone and it does appear to be close enough to account for a correct calibration. I still disagree with the Steeda not being tested and still feel (in my opinion) as though this is a car with a modified exhaust. Whether true or not, these are the types of questions and thoughts that occur in my head when testing that is conducted is not from an independent third party.

#310 ·
I had the same concerns as you about the test, but didn't feel like I had enough information to go on to call him out on it. It certainly doesn't "jive" with other comparisons I've seen--the K&N definitely showed a distinct advantage.

#311 ·
Those complaints were voiced, and mostly quelled. It is a dyno, so take it with a grain of salt. I think it could be slightly overstated through a dyno condition, but I dont think anything was doctored. I wish the steeda had been tested too.

At any rate, the impressive dynos (not just this one), larger aftermarket presence, and better pricing made it an easy purchase for me.

The coupon code (if theyre not currently running it) is "welcome15". just ask about it if it didn't work. They gave it to me that way.

#318 ·
Just the tools to do so. As far as warranty, you will lose it if they can prove that it caused the failure. If you're driving it hard anyway, it seems they'll want to blame your driving style so there is little warranty risk.

#326 ·
I got the intake. I had it for a day or so and I'm not quite liking it. I can obviously feel the difference tho. Feels faster and reacts better. I'm not big about tthe noise. Sounds awesome but not my thing. Others over it and want it others. I'm going to end up selling it here tho. [thumb]

#328 ·
Just get a K&N drop-in for $50 on autoanything.com and remove the snorkel (20 minutes). Lots of info here about it and dyno testing shows roughly the same hp increases as the CAIs. I have this and it sounds stock.

#330 ·
You're late to the ball game with that question... There's a thread in here (I'll see if I can find it). A few of us have had the issue. It's a good intake, just may need a little help or tweaking to be perfect. In the 20K miles I've had it, it's come off a couple times. You just need to check the tightness once a month or so, and DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THE CLAMP!!!

#338 ·
Overall I'd have to give it a 4.5/5... Love the sound. Constructed well. Only real issue is the lack of a K&N supplied MAF housing or "fix" for the crap MAF housing Ford put in the car. I would have probably gone Steeda if this one hadn't presented itself... I have been hankering to try the AEM though LOL.

But I have no qualms about recommending it. It has proven its potency on the Dyno and in everyday life.

#340 ·
You can call me Sonic, Mr Hedgehog was my Dad ;)

I think the "problem" with the AEM is that it hasn't been as thoroughly tested in the market in real world situations. I don't think it's going to make as much power in the lab (on the dyno), but in real world situations (stop and go traffic for instance) I think it could show it's merits. Yes, it's the only true CAI available. RDC and Injected are both working on their own interpretation of the True CAI concept.

If you look at the dyno threads you will see that Steeda has the top spots and then K&N (Typhoon, followed by the drop in/snorkel/flap delete).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.