Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Going to be the Borla 140400 guinea pig

34K views 102 replies 37 participants last post by  jasonr93 
#1 ·
I am buying the cat back system for the Hatchback, will be installing it and will post the reviews once I have it on.

Cheapest price I have found is for $640 shipped.

#5 ·
I would do it 10x over let's put it at that lol. I won't lie it's loud especially when you put your foot down but I love it. The sound does die out a highway speeds but when you put your foot down again there it is [headbang]. To me it has the perfect racing sound, it doesn't sound like a fart can rice burner at all. And you should hear it once you take the top off the air box [eek] I swear I look to see if a Subaru is around [giddy] perfect almost boxer sound

#7 ·
Good to know; how old are you and I ask because the opinion on how something sounds varies greatly with age, LOL!

I have Borla on just about everyone of my other vehicles and love their products.

My engine already has a growl to it with the Injen RAI, it will be interesting to hear how the Borla and Injen get along.

Did you do the install yourself? If so any tips? The instructions seem pretty easy.

#10 ·
I'm 19 lol but I've been around cars since I was little and I can pick out a fart can rice burner exhaust from a mile away they sound like shat and are just plain stupid, with garbage can size tips [facepalm]. I have a single to dual tip so that should say something that I don't have a garbage can on it lol. Oh the install is amazingly easy it's all bolt on but since I don't have a lift in my garage and I didn't have school for a week so I couldn't use the lift there either I just brought it to my local place. You'll get a Subaru boxer growl with the borla and a CAI [headbang]

#9 ·
Nice!! I'm planing on it's sedan alter ego for mine when I get back in country! Looking forward to your story and pics!

#27 ·
Thanks to Paul-Brabs Weather-who wanted to see the contents which led to the pulling everything out which led to how long could this really take which led to the Focus being on jack stands and tools coming out....the Borla is on! Took an hour and that was with figuring out what size sockets and wrenches to use.

I will get pics up asap but some info:

Borla piece with the muffler/tips: 12 lbs
Stock lunch box muffler: 15 lbs
Stock pipe with 1st muffler: 8 lbs
Stock pipe with resonator: 5 lbs

I need to call Borla and have them update the instructions as they have you cut the pipe that connects the Catylitic converter to the exhaust piping and that is not required; you unbolt the stock pipe using a 15mm socket or wrench. We thought if we jacked the car up high enough we could get away with one cut on the stock exhaust but no avail; made one cut by the lunch box muffler, tried to wiggle it out with no luck, made another cut by the 1st muffler and out the stock exhaust came.

Install was easy, followed the directions, started from the rear with tightening all the clamps, started the car to listen for leaks, all was good, let the car down off the jacks and off for a test drive.

We started with all the windows down and the only change I could hear was from approx 1k-3k there was more of a growl but after that no louder than stock; put the windows up and listented for droan and there was none at all.

Paul says the car feels like it pulls harder, I will have to see when driving it to/from work.

All in all I like it so far, I will report back when I have more seat time with it.

Pics to follow!

#37 ·
Holy crap, I didn't realize the mufflers on the Borla system were the exact same as what I picked out (except for mine are 2.5").

I remember when we were about to start up mine after the install my exhaust guy was thinking the same thing. His words I believe were:

"You realize this things gonna be loud as f%@k right?"

I told him to just wait and see. He was surprised as hell when it's merely growled to life and crackled a bit when you gave it some gas. You get what you pay for with Borla (IMO).

#50 ·
Correct on the front one (40842S)
My rear is 40364.

If you work at a muffler shop you of all people should know NOT to go larger than needed on an exhaust pipe....why everyone is faciniated with thinking a larger diameter exhaust is going to produce more power is beyond me and plain wrong.

Going larger than necessary can reduce backpresure which in turn hurts performance; maybe 2.5" is ok but I have to belive these exhaust companies would know what size is optimal for sound and performance and I have said it countless times before with regard to the performance gains on the 2012 Foucs; there is only so much power we are going to get out of a 4 cyl 2.0 liter NA engine.
While back pressure is important, I've always thought the bigger concern with exhausts is what I like to call the "flow vs. velocity ratio." Simply put, the best combination of flow and velocity = the best gains. You are able to move the most exhaust gases you can at the highest rate.

Go too big, you have the ability to move a lot of exhaust gases, but not at an optimal rate. Go too small, and you're getting the exhaust gases out more quickly, but at a lower volume than you could.

I bet there are a couple reasons most companies went with 2.25" and I suspect cost, familiarity (other stock, N/A 4 cyl. use that size, why not this?), and potentially higher stock gains play the biggest roles. It's all speculation though until someone asks. I'd love to know and I could very well be proven wrong.

I would, however, bet heavily that in a competition between 2.5" and 2.25" with a header, intake, and a tune that 2.5" will net you more power (whp AND I'll go ahead and bet wtq as well). I of course could be proven wrong and that's fine, but looking at other newer N/A 4 cylinders in similar "situations" tells me otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.