Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Sedan dual exhaust

156K views 305 replies 90 participants last post by  Shade-010 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am new here and my wife picked up a new Focus about two weeks ago and although its her car I can't but mod it since I also drive it. I noticed all of the european ford focus's have a dual exhaust set up. After some research I found they are basically using a transverse muffler. I used a Borla muffler and some 3.5" stainless tips. A local muffler shop did the install. I removed the middle muffler and dropped in a K&N cone filter. Here are some pictures. The car sounds so sweet and there is no audio drone at any speed.

Parts List: Borla # 40477 2.5" 2.5" 19"X 5.5" X 10.25" Transverse Mount Split Exit $$ 265.00

Tips Ebay $$ 29.00 each
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0Q...emZ280348769045QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

Local Body Shop cut out rear bumper $44.00 labor. The rest is up to the welder to get all lined up. $65.00 Install Total price $432.00

Without 1st muffler:
Video-Audio
[/URL][/IMG]
With 1st muffler:[URL=http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa385/FocusTrooper/?action=view&current=DSCF0321.mp4][/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool.

Post up part #'s for the exhaust and tips if purchased seperate for others here who may be interested in your setup.

And when you get the time post up a video of how it sounds. I'm curious, I liked dual exhaust over single sided with dual tips but depends on the sound I guess.

Good job!

#5 · (Edited)
Ok, I will get the parts list together. It will be Monday on the sound clip. Sorry. I will try to do one this weekend while on a road trip to get it on the move and at idle. This is how it should have come stock. I really like how the european st and rs look so I did it my self. Ford racing sells a cat back for our cars but its $660.00 and is a dual tip single side exit and since theirs eliminated the resanator I also took it off.

Parts List: Borla # 40477 2.5" 2.5" 19"X 5.5" X 10.25" Transverse Mount Split Exit $$ 265.00

Tips Ebay $$ 29.00 each

Local Body Shop cut out rear bumper $44.00 labor. The rest is up to the welder to get all lined up. $65.00 Install Total price $432.00

On the muffler and pipes I roughed them up and painted them with flat black engine paint.

When the car is clean and it quits raining I will do a gallery spread.

#14 ·
Looks much better! I did the same, not in a 2012 but in a 2001 with an evo bumper. I used a Magnaflow, same size as for Camaro's and Firebirds which have the same set up. It is 5x8x18 and run for $104.00.

#28 ·
Warranty

I would say no. Only on the exhaust parts I took off. People change cat back exhaust all day long. Even Ford racing has one for the car.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12976

Its just single sided but it does eliminate the middle resonator muffler like I did.

If its any comfort cappa, I have modified the exhaust on every car I have owned. 1992 5.0 mustang, 2002 Subaru WRX, 2005 BMW Z-4, 2006 Infiniti G35, 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The Subaru was at the dealer, The Tacoma was at the dealer. I would not worry about the exhaust unless you mess with the cats.

#25 ·
Yes I added the Sport emblem. Thats worth at least 5 hp right there.

The car is listed as having the sport package so I figured why not.

I am going on a road trip this weekend to Navarre Beach Florida about 4 hrs west of my home location. I will test it out. So far it feels like it pulls harder. Our cars are week upon 1st press of the gas but then it picks up the pace quickly. To me the car feels stronger. I also love the sound of it. I knew it would only pick up a few hp but I am happy with it.

I was going for a more agressive look from the rear and getting a little more performance was a plus. One can say its expensive but to each his own. I look at the back of the stock one and it looks like Ford ran out of budget. I have corrected that.

You could do it cheaper but it might sound like a 2 stroke chainsaw. The borla has a nice rumble.

#23 ·
It was dark when I picked up the car yesterday and raining. The wife has the car at work today so when I get it later today I will wash it and take a photo. The total package is I must say very nice looking. It looks factory. Here is and 5 door european Focus ST. This is where I got the idea.

Compared to stock rear.

#29 ·
Yes I agree. Look at other cars like Audi A4, Volvo S40, Hyundais Genesis coupe ETC.. All of those cars have 4 cyclinder engines but they all also have dual rear outlet exhaust tips. I am pretty sure they also gain very little from having two tips as far as horse power gains go but they all look better from the rear.

For all those that think its too much $$ look at the money like this.
What do you want?

The car is new so now is the time to shine. Do the mod now and enjoy it for the rest of your ownership. Lets say you own it for 3 years. The actual mod cost $432.00 divided by 1095 days = .39 cents a day to have a car that really looks good. You can't get a coke for .39 cents a day.

We add rims -tires and body kits and all kind of other junk that usually does nothing for horse power usually, but we spend huge dollars anyways.

To me the new Focus over all was looking great except the rear. Now thats fixed

[wiggle]

#33 ·
Next week I will have it put on a lift and get pictures from all angles. Since it the wifes car and I am already modding my car I will most likely stop here.

Thanks for the feed back. I am very happy with it. Yep I am car crazy 1000k on the car and I have the bumpers cut out and exhaust replaced.

Maybe I should have spent the money on a therapist. Nope they gonna have to catch me first. [doorpeek]

My Ride: 2011 Honda CRZ

#34 ·
man i love the way the dual tips look. ive been admiring the focus over seas because they have the dual exhaust set up. hate the fact that the stock tip is hidden. Would really like to do this, and for a bit over 400 thats not bad considering most exhausts are much more then that! cant wait to here a sound clip![popcorn]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.