Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Sedan dual exhaust

156K views 305 replies 90 participants last post by  Shade-010 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am new here and my wife picked up a new Focus about two weeks ago and although its her car I can't but mod it since I also drive it. I noticed all of the european ford focus's have a dual exhaust set up. After some research I found they are basically using a transverse muffler. I used a Borla muffler and some 3.5" stainless tips. A local muffler shop did the install. I removed the middle muffler and dropped in a K&N cone filter. Here are some pictures. The car sounds so sweet and there is no audio drone at any speed.

Parts List: Borla # 40477 2.5" 2.5" 19"X 5.5" X 10.25" Transverse Mount Split Exit $$ 265.00

Tips Ebay $$ 29.00 each
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0Q...emZ280348769045QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWNXQ3aIT

Local Body Shop cut out rear bumper $44.00 labor. The rest is up to the welder to get all lined up. $65.00 Install Total price $432.00

Without 1st muffler:
Video-Audio
[/URL][/IMG]
With 1st muffler:[URL=http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa385/FocusTrooper/?action=view&current=DSCF0321.mp4][/URL]

See less See more
#35 ·
I'm digging the exhaust! Very nice work. I'm considering doing something similar with my FSWERKS exhaust.

-Typed while driving on my Captivate- [:p]

#36 ·
That looks awesome!

As long as you like it, it don't matter how much it costs. You wanna do some cheap stuff sell you focus, get a civic and join their forums. Plus I hear pep boys has some nice scoops and chrome fender slots for cheap.

#37 ·
I agree. If you do it right the first time with quaility parts there are no worries. Borla mufflers are built like a tank. The also have plenty of packing even though they have a straight through flow design. I would not build a 4cy or V-6 exhaust with just any muffler. I wish I could do the sound clip today but I am waiting for her to get here so we can leave on a trip and those sounds clips always take time.

I have heard several FSWERKS exhaust on 4cyl cars but they did not have one out yet with my set up.

Slight difference ya think.

#38 ·
#39 ·
Crz

Yea I saw it. Not very impressive for 533 hp.

The car is great and really fun to driver check out www.crzforum.com and look in the gallery. There are a lot of options and paths to take. It runs really good stock with some light suspension mods the car handles great. I am very happy with it. Mine looks good stock but I have just ordred a K&N intake, Springs and new rims and tires. I just like being different and not to many people have this car. Plus i get 35-40 mpg driving it like I stole it.

#48 ·
Once again, WOW! I don't think the mrs. will go for it but between the color and the exhaust it's perfect. Reminds me of the bright atlantic blue the mustang used offer in the 90's. BTW, love the American flag in the one picture. And thanks for buying American.

#51 · (Edited)
Proformance update. Just drove for 4hrs with new exhaust. It sounds great. At 70-80 you just get a faint hum a little louder than stock. In the triple digits the car sounds really smooth. It feels like the engine likes it. The car pulls hard. Out of the whole its way better sounding than stock. Gas milage appears to have either improved or did not change. I had the cruise set on 83 most of the way and got 29 mpg overall. I am impressed. The most important part is the wife really likes it. We stopped at cracker barrel on the way and a bunch of people looked at the car and gave positive comments.

#61 ·
And except for the Mazda 3 those cars looks utterly ridiculous.

As for the OP...you've replied to this thread like 15 times, provided pictures like crazy, and still haven't recorded a video? The most important things about replacing an exhaust are the performance and the sound. Neither of these have been demonstrated.

Are you doing this on purpose??

#57 ·
Looks so good, I was wondering if this was possible considering how low that plastic bit of the bumper goes. I'm so happy it looks this clean when it is cut out....so like how would I find someone who can cut it out and do such a clean job like you did? I'm definately wanting to do this, except I'm going to try and find black/gunmetal muffler tip. Bro your car is looking so legit.

Question: the muffler came chrome and you painted it flat black? what kinda paint did you use? thanks!

#60 · (Edited)
750 miles total trip and I must say that this mod was worth doing. The car sounds great and the exhaust looks so good no one know its not stock.

I had a guy approach and check out the car. He asked a lot of questions. His closing statement as he walked away was "Man I really like how ford put duals on the Focus finally" I didn't say anything. It will be funny if he decides to buy one and the dealer can't provide it.

#67 ·
Wow! It's much louder than I expected. Very nice sound. I'd definitely have to hear it under load or with a little more revs (is the rev limiter raised or removed when in neutral?).

either way, I am an Amazon Prime member and that muffler could be here by Wednesday if I ordered it tomorrow but I am going to wait a bit til I hear more setups. I think I'm also getting tint on Tuesday.

Thanks for the video man. It's mean!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.