Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 focus select shift

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  halfmoonclip 
#1 ·
Question if you put the new focus in sport mode (s) on the gear selector stick, what is this doing other than allowing you to shift the trans when you want to (witch is very nice by the way no complaints on that) does this change the shift points for the trans if you let it shift on its own or is it just for shifting on your own?

Thanks

#4 ·
I haven't experimented yet, but I think it is as follows.

When in 'S' mode, the transmission will hold gears longer when accelerating, and downshift quicker when braking. It will only redline a gear if the pedal is floored or if you initiated manual shifting with the rocker switch and haven't upshift. It will not let you stall out. Once you initiate manual shifting with the rocker switch (and transmission in 'S'), you have to shift back to 'D' to stop the manual override.

If I'm wrong, please correct me!

#5 ·
From my experience, it behaves as follows:

• Will not switch to the 6th gear
  • Computer changes to a more aggressive shifting mode as others have described above
  • If you shift with the buttons, you can not go back to computer shifting unless you move the gear shift lever back into D first
  • Computer will try to anticipate your acceleration demands and hold RPMs accordingly
  • Computer will use engine braking (downshifts) when you apply the brakes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.