09 Focus - Stealth Intake (yes I read the sticky) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 01:32 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115458
What I Drive: 2009 Maroon Focus SES (4dr) Manual

Points 30, Level 1
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 micjohvan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
09 Focus - Stealth Intake (yes I read the sticky)

Ok so I did do a lot of research before hand but I still have some questions on this. Im basically doing a budget job on my Focus, I have so far done Springs, Shocks, Struts, Sway Bar Links, res. delete, and just received my short throw in the mail. My next step is to try and tackle the intake. Looking around online the intakes seem very overpriced to me for this year focus... paying 240 dollars for basically a cone filter with a shroud seems insane to me lol. I have been researching the stealth all night and it seems simple enough.

I read the sticky but there was no link to a guide on how to do it, the one or two sentences that describe the process dont seem to be to bad but this is my daily and I would rather not risk busting something and not having my car.

I also have read this a few times:

Finally got around to doing a stealth intake

this seems simple as well but did he have to dremel the tabs and whatnot or is this literally just clamped pipe onto the stock tube??? Also with his its down by the fog light delete which seems to asking for hydro to me lol.

In a perfect world I would love to just pull the stock box and filter and strap a cone to the end of the MAF tube with a clamp and call it a day, will that work or am I going to need to flip and cut and whatnot to make that happen???

I would like to get decent noise from it, at least some cool sounds under load

If anyone can link me to a how to or whatnot that would be good. Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 128530
What I Drive: 2005 Black Focus ZX3 SES

Points 1,530, Level 22
Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 2 2005focuszx3 Good Standing Member
I just walked a member on here (Jkushed219) through it. I can't seem to find the PM's I sent him with basic instructions.

Just a tip, if you're afraid of messing something up I'd be a little weary of doing this on your own if you're not sure what you're doing. If you DO know what you need to do, then great! You'll enjoy the induction sound these duratecs can make.

Basically you'll probably have to cut a section off of the MAF housing and find a silicon tubing adapter to make up the difference in diameter between the throttle body and MAF housing. I'm not super familiar with the way the intake is set up after the MAF housing on the 08-11, but if there is a strainer looking thing in the intake piping, you'll need to include that between the MAF housing and the cone filter you wish to install. This will yield an intake that looks much like the Short Ram Intakes that are out there on the market (I think Steeda makes one) You should be able to nestle the whole intake under hood and away from the elements, which was your concern.

Keep in mind, this won't likely gain you any power, but it will feel like it right when you step on it. It will increase throttle response slightly. You will likely lose a notable amount of torque too since your intake piping isn't as long at it used to be, which is what makes an engine torquey.

In any case, see if you can't get ahold of Jkushed219 and let him know I sent you. He may or may not answer. He just did this mod last week on a 2005, so he should be able to tell you exactly how to do it the way you want it done. I did mine with the intake down by the bottom lip of the bumper and have never had an issue.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78883
What I Drive: Black '14 Ti

Points 721, Level 14
Points: 721, Level: 14 Points: 721, Level: 14 Points: 721, Level: 14
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 Duhamel Good Standing Member
You can cut the tube away from the airbox, you will destroy the top of the airbox in the process, but with patience and planning it is not that hard. There is a pic of mine in my profile. If you're interested I can dig up the thread.

The piping for the MAF tube is different on a MK2 than a MK1 or MK1.5.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 42115
Points 231, Level 4
Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4 Points: 231, Level: 4
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 American Good Standing Member
On my 05 ZX4, I removed the lower box and crazy snorkel. I removed everything right up to the MAF tube. Then, using a 3 inch rubber sewer connector (Lowes or Home Depot) with it's 2 stainless hose clamps, attached a 3 inch PVC 90 elbow to the other end. Then using an after market AEM air filter cone in 3 inch to finish the job. It sits inside the front left bumper. Never had any trouble and it even stays amazingly clean even on lime rock roads every day. Total cost is about $60 with the filter. It can NOT be seen from under the hood so I do not care if it is not exactly gorgeous. If you want, spray the PVC black and it IS gorgeous.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.