Focus Fanatics Forum banner

FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake Installation Problems

27K views 102 replies 29 participants last post by  lacole725 
#1 ·
I need some help. I attempted to install the FSWerks Cool-Flo Intake yesterday morning on my 2010 Sedan. Once I got everything taken off, I started the installation. The first problem I had was the MAF sensor housing was not big enough. It looked like is had some extra paint or slag in it, so I had to find something the file it out to make the hole bigger. Once I got that done, I attached the filter and tried sliding it into the car. In all the pictures I had seen, I never saw any lines below where the airbox sits. I think they are transmission cooler lines or something, but I managed to snake around them.

Now for the big problem. When I tried lining up the intake tube to the throttle body, is was extremely off center. I would have to bring the tube upwards and tilt it in an awkward position. To make it worse, the throttle body is smaller than the intake tube. The supplied silicone couplers are 3" in diameter, so it was too big for my 2.75" throttle body. I tried attaching the coupler to the throttle body as best I could then sliding the tube in and attaching that. I was trying to get it as tight as possible, then the hose clamp broke. After finding a thicker one somewhere, I resumed. The rubber mount that is screwed into the car for the intake to sit on is nowhere near the intake bracket. I had to pull the intake and mount towards each other then install the nut. I thought it looked ok and that it would work. The other problem I had was with the MAF sensor when trying to plug it in. It was extremely short, like more than anyone else had said. I finally got it to reach and plug in, but it looks stupid.

So after finally installing everything, I drove it down the road a couple times and everything seemed to be ok. The only thing I noticed was my car made a farting noise from the intake everytime I turned it off. When my girlfriend got home, we went to my cousin's cookout at his home about 45 minutes away. When I got there and pulled into the yard, I heard a whistling or sucking sound. I thought it sounded like air, so I checked it before I left. Turns out the coupler slipped off the throttle body and was sucking air in. I asked my cousin for a screwdriver and he held the tube over while I retightened the clamp. When I got done, we sat there and watched the tube slide right back off again because the mount was pulling it one direction and the coupler was too big to begin with. I made it to the auto store after cutting out at a red light one time and found a really thick hose clamp like the other one I had put on earlier. I tightened it up pretty good and I made it home without anymore problems.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem and how did you fix it? I think that if I find a 2.75" to 3" adapter hose it will fix that problem. Then if I drill a new hole for the mount to sit in, it will fix the alignment issue. Does that sound about right?

You can see how far away the mount is and how far stretched the MAF Sensor is.

Different angle of how far away the mount is from the bracket. I ended up unscrewing it some to give me a little more leverage.

How I ended up fixing the coupler. These clamps are considerably stronger than the flimsy ones FSWerks sent.

See less See more
#44 ·
This has been on my mind since I first saw this thread, is there a possibility that there has been a mid production change to the throttle bodies? I know it sounds crazy, but it is possible. I have an 08 and my intake fits like it was made by ford. Countless others have also had stress free successful installations. Just an idea.

#45 ·
I had the same issues when i installed mine, but nothing that was too extreme for air leaks or functionality. Over all its a quality product.

The coupler seemed a lil loose on the TB, but sealed nicely when strapped down.

As far as the MAF and its wires, i just undid the whole wire off (wires leading to that front sensor,which i believe is the air bag sensor) the Christmas tree white clamps and its fine now. I will post some pics later.

Drove it through some rain the other day as well, and i seemed to do fine.

Still getting used to the loud noise it makes under load...not sure if i like it yet or not as its pretty loud!

Yet to see the MPG improvements as im on my first tank. If i get 1 or 2mpgs, it did its job!!!

#52 ·
Will do! Forgot to take a pic of the finished product when i installed it...love it so far, just a little on the loud side after the engine gets hot, especially with the AC on

#54 ·
here are the pics of the black FSwerks CAI

Notice how i ran the MAF wiring....took it off the white clips
That black does look quite nice, and I'm glad you mentioned that, I was just looking at my wiring to the MAF sensor, and I was debating how I would free it up, I think your method should work very well, and then I don't have to unwrap a bunch of it to get the extra length needed.

I should be working on mine in a few hours, almost done with work for the week, woot!

#55 ·
If you just cut the electrical tape off the white clips, and a little clip at the side of the car where the wires start, that should be pretty good....

Easiest way for me to install the filter was to lift the whole car up and actually install it on the tube after everything was tightened up....

good luck....post pics!

#56 ·
Nice, I will definitely be trying that out, and yah I was thinking about taking the same approach as to putting the filter on afterwards, seems like the filter might be too big to easy slide downward, as i see there's a hose to something (haven't followed it) that would block the big filter.

I will definitely take some pics!

#57 ·
Hi guys, sorry it took so long to reply, I did sucessfully install my fswerks cai and did the TB ground cable late last friday night, just didn't get a chance to hop on here and post the pictures till just now, so here you go:

I didn't really have any issues installing either item, the fswerks cai is one hell of a snug fit though, I didn't think it was going to align properly, but it surely does, quite impressed with it, and its quite loud, but I like it.

Old airbox setup entirely removed

The only clamps that gave me a little issue

The initial install pics

pics from down below

finished up install of fswerks cai

now, begin the grounded throttle body wiring pics

I did notice a more consistent response in my focus' throttle response after doing this ground run. I just took the wire right to the grounded battery terminal, as it was the closest place to ground the setup.

#59 ·
those little clamps gave me a problem as well but nothing a lil patience and a screwdriver couldnt fix. It was a bit of a tight fit when i installed mine yesterday i was afraid it wouldnt fit or if i did something wrong but sure enough fit in perfectly.Couldnt be more happy with the results however! I have had my car for over a year and wanted to get this intake the second i saw it since it was the only true CAI for the focus that i could find.....Sounds so much better, feels better, and MPG is better so far!! cant wait to do more

#63 ·
It's seriously like 15 degrees out right now and looking through this is really making me hate Michigan winter.
I just received my Cool-flo yesterday and am itching to put it on.
Is it too cold to attempt the installation?
I really would not want to break any plastic parts(MAF sensor, etc) trying to do this in the bitter cold...but dammit i want it on!!

#65 ·
Hey, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I ran into a few snags trying to install my FSWERKS intake.

Does anybody know how to disconnect the hose that connects to the rubber boot between the air box and throttle body? Theres two of them. One of them connects to the valve cover and that one just releases and slides right off. But then theres this second hose that goes god knows where, does who knows what and apparently is superglued into the boot. I dont want to pull on anything or remove something I shouldnt be.

#71 ·
Wait i think I remember now. Its been almost 2 years so bear with me on this. See the little silver clamp looking thing at the base of the hose there. You will need to take a flat head screwdriver and place it inside that and bend it out some. It is ok to bend it. You will not break it. Then this will release that hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.