which ones???????????????????

• crane cams

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • cosworth cams

Votes: 17 35.4%

What cams should i get?

9K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
Should i get Crane cams or cosworth cams?? i am getting stage 1's.

#2 ·
I'd say go with the crane cams only because they are less pricey.

#4 ·
I'm very happy with my crane 2's.

#5 ·
I say Crane cams also .

#7 ·
I voted Crane, I would say Cossie if you got their whole package so the cams mesh with the other items and you're buying as a lump parcel, but if you're buying separate the Cranes sound just as good.

Climber, I'm pretty sure the transmission doesn't matter. In this case though, you know we're talking Duratec cams right, that your 2001 doesn't have? You have different options than our cars.

#8 ·
looks like i might get crane. i like cossie though im still wondering if i should wait for the stage 1 and 2 kits for the 2.0 to come out. i just want to get some more power out of my car....

#11 ·
will cams void warenty well ya it would void it only thing that wouldnt is an exsaust. but if something went wrong or failed they wuld have to prove that the cams or any other mod on the car directly caused the problem.

#12 ·
OK, ok, this might be a noobie thing, but aren't cams inside the engine. And if so, how can you prove that they were not the cause of an engine problem once they are installed. I mean can' t the dealer just say, you opened the engine up, and failed to put it back together properly! You are SOL sucka!

Or am I way off?

#14 ·
Cams would be a big deal if they decided they killed the engine. If the part that breaks is not related to the area you opened up, say your exhaust rusts out and falls off, or something like that. They CANNOT deny warranty on that. Your manicat in the header somehow dies and you fail inspection With a stock header, before I think 80k miles, they cover that as part of the emissions warranty. If you hollowed out the cat obviously it's not covered.

Also if you want to take a different angle to this argument, if your car experiences issues and the tech deems it warranty-eligible, and somehow Didn't realize you had cracked the engine open to install cams (don't know why they wouldn't have gone checking and seen them) then you get warranty work done even IF it was the cams or your shoddy install that caused your problem. That seems slightly less likely, but installing cams does Not instantly BAM obliterate your entire warranty.

#16 ·
that is insane. they can't deny you brake warranty work because you have modified your intake. the parts have to atleast have something to do with eachother and/or have caused the problem. your dealer sounds like lazy pricks that don't want to do any work.

#17 ·
Some Ford Dealerships/Service centers have some real tards working behind the counter , but if he/she
is sayin your warrenty is void because you have a intake and your brake caliper siezed ask em how that part relates to the other. but dont ask em if your front tires are next thing to bald.

more seriously though i'd find another dealer to get your service/warrenty work done.

#18 ·
found the post i was looking for about warranty and it being void...ty miniboon for posting so i could search lol. oh and as for cams, i'd say crane.

This is the relevant information in legal jargon:

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.

Specifically, the rules and regulations adopted by the FTC to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

That being said, if you choose to modify your car, and suddenly the fancy new electronic control boxes that you added to your car make it run rough, not start when cold, or buck like a bronco, the dealer can and will charge a diagnostic fee to find out what is wrong with your car. If it turns out that your modifications are the cause of the problem, the dealer has every right not only to charge you for the diagnosis and repair, but to also void the portion of the warranty that has been compromised by the use of those aftermarket parts. Likewise, a dealer may refuse to service your car if it is adorned with aftermarket parts to the extent that its technicians cannot reasonably be expected to diagnose what is wrong with your car. As an example, all cars manufactured after 1994 are equipped with OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) ports that dealers use to read engine diagnostic codes for everything from an engine vacuum leak to a malfunctioning emissions system. If your chosen modification has compromised the dealer service center's ability to scan for these codes (aftermarket ECUs generally do not support OBDII), then there is a strong probability that the dealer service center will

* Deny warranty coverage

* Refuse to service the car

* Note with your factory field representative for your region/district that your car has been "modified"

#19 ·
it's ok...A dealer voided my warranty on my old SE because I had suspension done H&R coil over kit thus he said it caused complete engine and tranny damage [headbang]. Truthfully i wouldnt mess with it...if ur scared for your warranty then don't do anything to your car cause you will get screwed.

#22 ·
well they fixed the tranny and then it went bad, so they fixed it again and it went bad.....so they had to blame it on me. It was a nightmare...but now i have an svt lol.

#24 ·
it's not the technicians. TRUST ME! I used to work there. It's the damn fat, tubby, non-social pricks who say they "designed" the car. They come inspect the motor, take pics, make a decision then leave the technician to explain to the customer why they are not warranting the car. It's stupid really but the technicians usually ALWAYS want to do the warranty work. just thought i'd clear that up [offtopic]

but I chose crane... im buying the stg 3s hopefully around may

#29 ·
Crane stage 3 are for racing and the Cossie stage 2 & 3 have some crazy duration and lift on the intake side. Its not that they flow too much, it is that they wont really run around town very good. They are meant to be run in the upper rpms all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.