Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Duratec 2.3l????

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Moonlight98 
#1 ·
I come form a different world of cars altogether. I just sold my 65 mustang last week and got an 03 ZX3 with a 2.3l. I know nothing of the small four cylinders. I know that it seemed a lot more peppy than the 2.0 so that is why I bought it. I am looking to do a little upgrading and i was wondering if all 2.3l were the duratec. Also what kind of improvements do you feel in performance from basic bolt ons like CAI and pulleys and other small things like that. I come from a well built small block ford. I just want something that gets good gas milage and has a good seat of the pants feel.

#3 ·
Yes all the 2.3Ls in the focus are duratec. It seems like most ppl can get about 18hp just from exhaust + CAI. I have a exhaust right now & it helps out with the go power above 3K. Its nice being able to just role on the throttle in 5th gear & go. As for upgrades, with you living in cali, you need to keep that thing emission safe. So about the only things you could do maybe is a cat back + intake + pulleys. Much else & it might be to much work to undo. Other will put in what they have to say. Oh also Marcy Motorsport has this little BS(balance shaft) delete kit that you could get, it drops something like 10-15lbs of rotating mass off the engine. Good luck on your future project & congrats[thumb]

#4 ·
Welcome to the world of the Focus. Why oh why did you sell a 65 Pony though?!?!

Anyway, yes all 2.3s in Focuses are Duratecs. All 05-06 engines are Duratecs now too, except there's a 2.0 flavor too. The Duratec is significantly more peppy and torquey than the previous 2.0L, the Zetec or SPI. Noticeably different, in my experience.

Like some mentioned, INTAKE is key on this engine. Think it's kinda spunky now, the intake is good for a solid 8-10 hp at the wheels, not too shabby for under $200! Exhaust is good as well, for the "breathe out" effect. Good bet with this is to get a 2.5" system, unless your Only mods will be intake and exhaust, in which case 2.25" should be OK.

Check out the Duratec Mods list in my signature for available parts, you have the D23E. Also there's another sticky in the Duratec forums here, Duratec FAQ that's a good little overview of some commonly-covered subjects. Any other questions, feel free to pipe up![:)]

#5 ·
yeah definately go with an intake first, then since ur in ca. a cat back . a 2.5" is nice but since ur emmisions are tough and you cant go with headers and such ( unless you wanna take the risk of the smog cops and hassle of swapping it out when emmision time rolls around lol) a 2.25" will do well. mbrp has a nice setup for under $250. you can also do a cam tool and a balance shaft delete for about a buck fifty all said and done. those mods will give ya a real nice bump in performance and will cost ya less then $600 outta pocket. i got outta a mustang as well, a '95 5.0 theyre fun straight line, but im pretty sure youre gonna love the foci as much as i do, 'specialy when ya find a nice windy back road or the first time ya chew up some ricer in a civic or a celica! have fun! keep us posted.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input from you guys. I come from www.fordmuscle.com forum and you guys seem to be just as great as they are. I know that this little engine has great potential. I had the car out last night, My GF has an 04' Accord V-6 and this little 4 cylinder ran right beside it with no problem. I was wondering if the 8-10 hp really is a big diff or not. I know on a heavy v-8 that that kind hp is more like "well I think I fell it a bit but not really sure". Also what about clutches, I noticed my clutch slipping when trying to launch at just under 4000 rpm. I know that there are a few good clutches out there but what would you guys reccomend for a nice street friendly clutch that doesn't chatter too much and doesn't have that annoying squeal of metalic pads.

#8 ·
u will get the best launches between 25k and 35k rpm, yeah the stock one kinda sux on hard launches. but swappin it out imo is gonna depend on what all ur gonna do to and with ur car, i think mine performs ok as far as what ive done in mods, as far as what im planning on doing, which isnt realy a whole lot more, ill just wait till my stock clutch wears out and the consider what i'll replace it with

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.