new to the durance - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117621
What I Drive: 2007 silver zx3

Points 32, Level 1
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 droze Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
new to the durance

hey everyone new to the ford focus and the duratec platform. hope its ok to post here since i did not see a new user check in place on the forum.

So here's the story i just got a 2007 focus zx3 i bought from my parents for cheap. I picked it up for a commuter and to have a little bit newer car for it as right now i am using an old mercedes so i dont have to drive my jeep everyday.

I have a unique situation with the car and have been reading a lot to decide what i want to do with the car. They used this car to tow behind their motor home so it only has 22,000 on the body. on there last trip they got in a hurry and left the car in gear when towing so the motor and tranny are junk. I mean just destroyed i have never seen a motor this bad (reason i got the car for so cheap). i guess thats what happens when you can keep going after all the other parts have given up.

So i really have a blank slate to start with. i have been calling around and the motor and tranny will cost me around $8-900 for a low mileage 2.0 motor/trans. my real question is as i will be doing some mods to the car and would like to get around 150hp to the wheels, would it be better to get a 2.3 instead?

I'm not looking for huge power probably just bolt on's, cams, and a tune. i done this with every car i have had i just cant leave things stock. I also live in california and have had swaps in the past bared for state use also did a neon with a dohc from an rt swap and did not have to see the state ref since it was from the same body style. I just don't know if that will apply to the zx3 since its not available with the 2.3. Do the motors respond differently to mods better gains with one as opposed to the other, or is it fairly close in gains one is just a better starting point?

i have liked what i have read so far about this motor and am excited to see it responds better to mods than the ztec. I did a lot of work on my cousins 2001 zts including a jrsc since it was the only option for him at the time. I was disappointed with the performance of that particular motor since my bolt on neon with a port and polish and tune had no problems walking all over it. (not trying to start a fight it just did)

sorry for the long post just have some questions. I Also plan on spending some time hear doing lots of research so i wanted to check in and say hello.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 8,158, Level 61
Points: 8,158, Level: 61 Points: 8,158, Level: 61 Points: 8,158, Level: 61
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 26 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
IF you are starting fresh, might as well go with the 2.3...best starting point
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 4,067, Level 40
Points: 4,067, Level: 40 Points: 4,067, Level: 40 Points: 4,067, Level: 40
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 14 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
2.3 is the better jumping off point. It will respond to modifications much better than the 2.0.

I'm jealous. If the price was right I'd love to have a roller like that to play around with.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Points 32, Level 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
thanks guys. so from what i have been looking at i would just need the 2.3 motor and ecu. looks like everything else is a direct swap between the two or is there more i need to know.

i also wouldn't have bought it if the deal was not so good. cost me $680 the only problem is the title will be salvage since they collected the insurance money from it. there original plan was to have a new motor and tranny put in it but the cost was over 10k so there insurance totaled the car and i gave them the money to buy it back. Which works in my favor i guess, and i know the car is in good condition since it spent about 95% of its life in a garage.

I will have to replace the bumper cover after i pull the tow bar off since i dont want to see the holes.

the other thing i noticed is the car has a standard plug under the hood so I'm guessing and engine block heater? seems to plug into the main harness.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 13,308, Level 75
Points: 13,308, Level: 75 Points: 13,308, Level: 75 Points: 13,308, Level: 75
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 29 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (46)
Your best bet would be to go with the 2.3L Duratec. The 03-04 ZX3 models did come with the 2.3L PZEV motor in states like California, New York, Massachusetts and a few others. I know in 2005 they changed the PZEV motors to the 2.0L.

Also to note, I think you meant the standard Neon with the SOHC motor and not DOHC. The 95-99 Neon came standard with the SOHC motor unless you got the Sport/Espresso model. All the R/Ts came with the DOHC.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 32, Level 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
Your best bet would be to go with the 2.3L Duratec. The 03-04 ZX3 models did come with the 2.3L PZEV motor in states like California, New York, Massachusetts and a few others. I know in 2005 they changed the PZEV motors to the 2.0L.

Also to note, I think you meant the standard Neon with the SOHC motor and not DOHC. The 95-99 Neon came standard with the SOHC motor unless you got the Sport/Espresso model. All the R/Ts came with the DOHC.
Yes went from sohc to dohc. Started with a base and up graded. Some 4 doors where rt also so it was ok to change to that motor in Cali. Granted I have no idea how I passed smog with the cams I had.

Yes it will be a pzev motor. I live outside of sac which has a ton of vehicle specific wreckers in the area so motors aren't usually a problem gonna take some cash and look at swaps today.

From what I looked at seems the easiest way to do the 2.3. Is to stick with the 2.0 intake manifold so I don't need to wire for the dual runners in the intake. The thing I could not find though is if I have the 2.3 harness and Ecu is it plug and play? Guess I would need to get the keys flashed for it also.

Seems that everyone that has done the swap did not have the wiring harness and most main harnesses these days seem to be universal so it my already be wired just need the correct parts. Correct me if I am wrong here me being a noob.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Points 32, Level 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
ok so after some research on Ondemand5 it looks like the cars may be prewired in the main harness to the pcm as the schematics show. I couldnt find one any different for the 2.3 and 2.0 duratec motors.

can anyone with more knowledge on the focus wiring let me know if i am incorrect on this? found a motor they hadnt pulled it from the car yet so havent picked it up. would really like to get this figured out before i put it all together before its all together so i dont have to take anything apart again.

thanks

daniel
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 32, Level 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
ok guess i should give the wires it shows for both, i use ondemand5 so i cannot copy and past.

so figure 17 for the 2.0 duratec show imrc using wht/red 8-rj16, grn/blu 15-rj16, blk/blu 91-rj16. so the wires should already be there just not being used.

2.3 duratec schematic shows the same 3 wires being used. i am going to give this a shot and see what happens. might be a couple weeks before i get the motor and trans in but i will report back.

only question i have is can i give my pcm code to ford or a lock smith to have my keys reflashed to the new one since i dont think they will allow the car to start after i am finished.

I am also wondering if the 2.0 pcm may already have the control capability but is not in use, or if it would work just fine and control the imrc.

edit: ok like i said i am a noob. the post i used for research had imtv and imrc backwards. the good news is the imtv is a black orange wire to the pcm and is in the factory harness pin 16 and at the pcm in pin 26 so all is good as long as i use a 2.3 engine harness and pcm. hope this will help others in the future who want to upgrade to a 2.3 just have to make sure your motor has the harness included.

Last edited by droze; 08-09-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: change info

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.