Focus Fanatics Forum banner

road trip question

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
so i love driving my focus as most of us on here do. i take some road trips to upstate new york to visit my girlfriends family, and once a year we take a drive up to canada. i have had my fswerks header sitting in a box waiting for the weather to get a little nicer to install it. as i was driving home from work this morning i was wondering about the header and road trips. will having the header installed and driving for say 8 hours in a day at 70+ mph hurt my car?

#3 ·
No you won't have any issues. I'd install it w/ the exhaust system your going to run= I recommend the stealth muffler at the least w/ a 2.5'' system. Start it up drive it around & enjoy the power & then let it sit & cool down then check the header bolts including the flex. I bought a ford replacement gasket & found the original gasket was better & used that & returned the one I bought. I would recommend 2 mufflers & a resonator. FYI= 2 yes two stealth mufflers fit behind your flex, one after the other & get a resonator next to the fuel tank. I have a Borla & moved the Borla muffler behind the stealth. It fits & the Borla muffler is longer then the stealth. If I didn't have a Borla exhaust, I'd use two stealth mufflers. Do you have a tune that turns off the egr & rear 02 senser? I hate having parts = specialey aftermarket parts just sit there. I'm dieing to install them. There are saying= ''Get up & install me'' LOL[thumb]

#6 ·
thanks for the answers... the main reason was because i was reading a how to ona f2 header and the poster said tht the header was very close to the alternator and i didnt wanna melt it for driving for 8-12 hours straight... long drive straight was 22 hours from florida to ri

#8 ·
My 23 mani/cat had a 3 piece heat shield. I carefully undid the tabs that held it together & used the alternator heat shield, w/ a couple black tie wraps holding the top side up. Also make sure the speed senser wire & the o2 senser is tied up away from the header. One more thing is make sure to use a dogbone vf engineering or similar, for if not the bottom of the header could hit the cradle or very close, when the motor rolls w/ the stock dogbone.You might have to oblong the stock bracket that goes from the motor to the header, thats what I ended up doing. I hope that helps you= Baldurs390.

#7 ·
If its a quality header I wouldnt imagine any problems would come up.

Ask manufacture maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.