Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Need more power

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Marbs 
#1 ·
My girl asked me the other day "how did THAT car beat you?" I was not street racing, just playing a little on a two lane freeway entrance. I didn't even pass the speed limit by more then 5mph. But it left me wondering what I can do to squeeze a few more ponies out of her without going FI (can't afford a Turbo set-up at this point in time, but I hope one day I can). My current performance mods are CAI, MBRP Exhaust, Draxas header, FSWerks flex, Tune, and FRPP Lowering kit. I know there has to be something more as far as N/A performance goes, but for some reason I can't think of what's next? This is my DD so that plays a factor in what's next (no gutting or removing of interior or spare tire etc...).

#4 ·
30 would be great, but reallisticley I'd say 10-15hp. Next dyno day comes up I'm going, so I have some kind of idea. Stock hp 20 vs a 23 is 20hp. A 20 has to turn more rev's to develop hp, than a 23. It'd be interesting to see a 20 vs 23 on a dyno. Then add a 23 head & see the difference. There is a lot of info on using different heads & strokes lenghts on 5.0's, but none on mzr/dur-tech motor's.

#6 ·
What he said. If cams runs $400-$600(and all I could find where 05 and older cams) and I'm sure heads are up there in price too plus the money for a new tune will only net 15hp, I'm not so sure it's worth the money. What kind of power gains will just the cam net? Any idea?

#8 ·
That's what I'm saying. I'd install cams and heads myself, well with the help of my engineer budy who has done all this before, to save money. But for that high of price for that little gain, I don't see cost per gain as a money well spent scenario. If that's all the power gained out of that money spent, I'll keep saving for a turbo/engine swap/new car.

#10 ·
I've heard to many horror stories with UDP's on these motors. How are cams on making it harder to pass inspection every year?

#15 ·
I Already have a tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.