Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Looking for 2.3L cold air intake under $250

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  xxMichaelAnthony 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, i'm looking for a cold air intake for a 03 ZX3 2.3L, it doesn't matter what it is as long as it is exempt in California to pass smog. I have a budget of $250 for it and am looking for something that is decent. I have one right now but it doesn't have an exempt sticker on it so I can't pass smog atm. Anyone have any ideas for what the best one is for that price? please and thank you!

-Eirik

#3 ·
Your best bet is to find someone local and see if you can borrow their stock intake. You probably wont find a CARB approved intake for under $250 even then I don't think anyone made them for your year.

Post up in the Nor Cal regional section http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

We have a few member on here from Rocklin, Citrus Heights and Folsom areas.

#5 ·
there were a couple cosworth units for sale in the classifieds. Unfortunately, that is the only legal unit for our car. K&N also has a CAI that is CARB approved and will fit our car and should have no problem passing the visual inspection. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-2559

#7 ·
Cosworth CIA thats CARB legal for 03 would be hard to find.The CARB EO# for 03 is D-594-1. Only ones I have seen were D-594 which is only approved for 04. The K&N you linked to is only approved for 05. K&N doesn't make anything approved for 03 Duratec.

If the shop is actually concerned about CARB stickers they will most likely run the EO#s. Just saying CARB approved means nothing. If they run the EO#s and they don't match model year and motor size, it will fail. As far as I know, there are no CARB legal intakes for 03 2.3 Duratec.

#10 ·
Just keep your stock setup, buy an adapter coupler for ~20 dollars or less so every two years you can reinstall the top part of oem intake just with the aftermarket unit's filter to drive to the smog shop and get tested. It really takes less than 30 minutes and you don't even have to put the car up on jacks or anything (the biggest pain of course is the large oem air cleaner assembly). I've been enjoying my fs werks for the last three and a half years. [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.