Focus Fanatics Forum banner

building a duratec 2.3

30K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  SYZ 
#1 ·
how much does it cost to build a 2.3 dura for boost? i would like keep it streetable and realiable.. does anyone build these motors?

#3 ·
CentralFloridaMotorsport's/ Fwerk's

Check out central florida motorsport's & Fwerk's, for price's, probably get a better deal from buying from 1 place= package deal. I'd do a ranger crank, rod's/ piston's & 1 piece SS valve's & of course a set of cam's. Thou's part's are from about $1000. + machining. Let me know what you come up w/ as far as who built's these motor's over here. It's seem's like there is a lot of builder's w/ part's for the Dura-tech's over in the UK. [wrenchin]

#4 ·
so if im understanding this right as long as the tq is around 250 ;ets say... i can get more whp out of it?

sorry im new to boost...

i just want a dura thatll hold around 300-350hp to keep up with all the damn sti's and evo's. it must be realiable too.

#5 ·
Check out top speed as well. The highest they made on a stock dura was 270wtq and 296-ish whp. You don't need 350whp to keep up with a stock sti......lmao
Stock crank will be fine.

And Felixthecat...I'm so jealous of some UK prices...its rediculous lol

#6 ·
What a built 2.3L is capable of....

If your really serious about a build contact companies like FSwerks, Top Speed or Focus Power (Tom) to discuss the goals for your car and your budget. Simply saying "I want to beat STI's and EVO's" isn't a great reason to drop tons of money into a engine.

#8 ·
I build the Duratec engine and have done dozens of them over the years , I am playing with the 2.5 out f the Fusion right now which in my opinion would be perfect for what you want , I havent got far enough for pricing yet

I can build you a Duratec engine thats good for 400 HP for 3550.00 complete , I build these engine I dont farm out my engine building so I keep good quality control

Tom

#11 ·
there not stock sti's and evo's... so thats why i said 300-350whp.. but the main thing is driveablity.. i wont drive it all the time but when i do id like to just drive it and not worry about it..

building a car is cheaper then my atv believe it or not..

ive been reading about the 2.5 you've been building tom.. im really interested in how that turns out... my saleen would be good test car for it

#31 ·
I want one in 11.6:1 flavor, idles well, bullet proof, revs to 7200rpm, that can handle some boost when I get bored with it.(6 to 8 lbs) I've been doing much research and it seems like its quite doable with proper tuning. Just less margin for error. And to everyone whose about to jump my shit about how I want lower compression? No, I don't.

#34 ·
It's not about brute power, it's about driveability and response, on and off boost. I have no need for a 400whp focus.

I understand the challenges , the margin for error is tighter tuning wise, but some of the honda guys have gotten excellent results...

http://www.evans-tuning.com/dynos/2...ing-turbo-kit-340whp238tq-haltech-sport-1000/

Keep in mind stock compression on the F22c is 11.7:1, and this is tuned for 93.

Now he is also using stand alone engine management so I'm open to the possibility that SCT doesn't offer the same tuning capability, maybe Tom can chime in with his thoughts on this.

Obviously though, it is possible to run this type of setup safely.

So how about instead of off the cuff negative responses, maybe just consider that it is possible and maybe have a little but of open mindedness toward the topic.

That being said, I'm open to any suggestions that will result in the driving experience I'm looking for. I've driven plenty of turbo cars and I can't say I like it that much. When given the choice to drive my buddy's speed 3 or my ST? No thanks, I like my ST just fine. I 'm just looking to enhance the characteristics I love about it.

#41 ·
It comes down to you have to decide what you want and what you want to spend

small turbo spools very fast and add ball bearing to that and adds a few hundred rpm faster spool small turbo you could be spooled by 2600 rpm but wont make power above about 260+/- hp , bigger turbo may spool at 3500 and will make much bigger hp and all this done at 9.0 compression

You have to keep in mind the fuel we have these days is crap you start at 11.5 compression and your already pushing the limits of 93 big time , then throw boost to that and its a ticking time bomb

Tom

#42 ·
I have run engine dynamometers for over 10 years, 11.6:1 and boost on 91-93 octane pump gas will not happen. Now on 100 plus octane unleaded race gas, or E-85 is another story. You will reach a limit with cylinder pressure where you will start breaking factory pistons and rods. There is a reason why turbocharged engines from the factory are in the 9:1 to 10:1 compression range. Sorry if you think Tom or myself are wrong, you are more than welcome to try it on your own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.