Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Short throw AUTOMATIC shifter

41K views 171 replies 77 participants last post by  pasta 
#1 ·
well some people wanted to see this again in its own thread and yes it was very easy to do.
just remove the old shifter..cut the remaining shift column to 2'' above where it comes out of the console .. then cut the white plastic "shifter rod" appox 3/4 to an inch above the metal tube.... to ensure the shifter still slides ride inside the tube using a plumbers pipe cutter to cut the metal the kind you spin around to cut. and then attach your fav . aftermarket shifter .. i got mine from RS-1 tuning ... bad ass little ball style .. you push the whole ball down to shift..
my O|D button well im relocating that to my new sterring wheel im getting it has 2 buttons on it .. so well see how that turns out

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
looks cool.

but i wouldnt personally call it a short throw. short throw shifters are designed to shorten the throw between shifts, hence the name. i dont think your mod will help your shifting much.

#81 ·
I did something like that to my '03 Focus 2.3PZEV
Only I used a chrome B&M T-Handle (I should have purchased the button model though - that would have taken care of the O\D problem - right now it's routed to a momentary switch hidden under the ashtray)
I however tapped the inside of the shift column, since it is only an aesthetic mod and screwed the t-handle right on. Then I bought a B&M shifter boot and installed it in the place of the black plastic piece that surrounds the shifter base. My problem was that after doing so i can't take the key out of the ignition because of brake shift interlock. Sucky, but pretty. Any ideas on how to bypass\disable the b.s.i?

#4 ·
hmmm... can someone say pointless?

I mean spending money on a shift knob, doing the work and spending the time is just worthless if you think about it.
But you can do what you want, its not my car.

#6 ·
you might be able to shift a little faster... but you are still driving an ATX. you will get no performance gains from this mod.

like i said, it looks cool, but thats it.

#8 ·
i did a similar thing to my car only for differnet reason.......i did not put on a short throw however i just switched out the shifter it costed like 15bucks, not that expensive and less than an hour to do, but PZEV05ZTW what did you do about over drive.. i made an actual switch that can turn it on or off

#12 ·
Beantown Focus said:
Some haters in this thread, who cares if it doesn't do anything and its just for looks, He was told to post this from another thread so people can see it...... Its not like he posted to glorify what he did

Cool idea and it looks much better than stock
i guess this would be refering to me...

like i said (this would be the third time), it looks cool. and i agree. definatly looks much better then stock.

what bothers me is that this guy is claiming that he is getting performance gains from this. that simple would not be the case. you can customize your car however you want to. but performance is performance. and something things help performance, and some things do not help performance.

style is an opinion, performance is a fact.

#15 ·
PZEV05ZTW said:
nope see your wrong i thought the same till i shifted it threw the gears manually ... quicker and eassier push shorter for the shifter to go!
Hey, man it looks nice however, you can't call this a freaking short throw. Here's why:

Its a damn ATX, even if you can shift fast from Park to drive to whatever the hell else you want the ATX tranny won't shift fast. Thats what a programed chip is for

and just in case your wondering I to own a ATX........you simply can't shift fast by cutting your shifter[thumb]

#17 ·
well thanx for the props guys i just wanted to put it out there so people with atx could see what ''could '' be done and as far as performance gains? no performance gains i siad it was easier to shift threw the gears ie fells smoother rather than the bulky stock shifter thats all and let me clairify my selve on the title i know you can make a atx a short throw im not a moron its a short throw look did it just for looks thats all thanx again for the props guys

#18 ·
U guys are a bunch of ass's, i like it, short throws for manual trans dont do any magic either...its all an illusion to begin with, if he likes it, it looks cool...back off, if it makes it more comfortable for him to use, then its performance for him.

#19 ·
jb10fan said:
U guys are a bunch of ass's, i like it, short throws for manual trans dont do any magic either...its all an illusion to begin with, if he likes it, it looks cool...back off, if it makes it more comfortable for him to use, then its performance for him.
[bootyshak

i said i multiple times i think it looks cool. is that what makes me an ass?

i also said the flat out truth that there will be no performance gains. is that what makes me an ass?

well... guess i am an ass then

[bootyshak

as for what a short throw does for a manual... it actually changes the angle and pivot point of the shifter. It shortens and firms the throw of the shifter. every single person i have heard of who had first hand experiance with an aftermarket short throw shifter was very pleased with the performance improvment. if its an illusion, that it is a grand illusion... [rolleyes]

#23 ·
crazy_urn said:
what bothers me is that this guy is claiming that he is getting performance gains from this. that simple would not be the case. you can customize your car however you want to. but performance is performance. and something things help performance, and some things do not help performance.
omg who CARES. [?|] jeez, is it really worth argueing about? it looks nice, personally not my style, but whatever floats his boat. oh btw what did you do about that O/D button?

#24 ·
THANK YOU! I have been wanting to do this but I was not sure if it was even possiable. For those of you who ever had an on the floor auto...you would realize that they make the post of the shifter like feet tall. It isn't about performance gains or anything it is about improving the looks. Nobody needs to have thier shifter up by the radio. Nice work man keep it up.

#26 ·
all motor said:
yay for people that buy autos and make tehm look like manuals, make a fake clutch pedal too. then you will be 100% badass[thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]
hmm..... i see PRND21. looks like an auto to me. now, if he were to do the leather boot idea that someone mentioned.... FLAME ON!!!!!

looks like a nice mod. i'd like to do it just so i can get the damn shifter out of my thigh! i'd have to get a shift knob with an OD button on it, though. i use that too much to not have it.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.