Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Short throw AUTOMATIC shifter

41K views 171 replies 77 participants last post by  pasta 
#1 ·
well some people wanted to see this again in its own thread and yes it was very easy to do.
just remove the old shifter..cut the remaining shift column to 2'' above where it comes out of the console .. then cut the white plastic "shifter rod" appox 3/4 to an inch above the metal tube.... to ensure the shifter still slides ride inside the tube using a plumbers pipe cutter to cut the metal the kind you spin around to cut. and then attach your fav . aftermarket shifter .. i got mine from RS-1 tuning ... bad ass little ball style .. you push the whole ball down to shift..
my O|D button well im relocating that to my new sterring wheel im getting it has 2 buttons on it .. so well see how that turns out

Attachments

See less See more
#141 ·
@spoonman i own an ATX personally i hate cuz i wanna manual but the car was a birthday gift so i cant complain. Anyway, when i drive i love off the gas when the car shifts seems to help wit better response going into the next gear (course that could just be my imagination, and my tranny is messed up frome some stuff ive done) but i have talked to people that have seen me drive and stuff ive done, and when they seen i had an auto there draw hit the ground. I do some of the same stuff you mentioned that you do too. and to anyone out there, does as far as putting an aftermarket shifter on an ATX what can i do wit my overdrive button?

#142 ·
Thanks for this. Rep to ya. I've been wanting to do this for a while and while I know I won't get any performance gains from it, I like the looks of it. And IMHO, I think the term "short throw" is a general term used for a short shifter regardless of ATX or MTX.

#143 ·
Well, I did this mod today and it looks great. However, I couldn't find a way to really secure it. I mean, it looks cool and works, but I couldn't secure it and still be able to push the knob down. How did you secure yours. I relocated my OD button to the center consol on the driver's side between the ebrake and shifter. Thanks agian for the idea.

Posted via FF Mobile

#144 · (Edited)
Okay, for those that would like to do this. I recommend getting a shift knob for an automatic, so that way, it will have the push button rather than having to push down the whole knob (easier that way). I was running just a manual type knob, but I had to fabricate a sleeve out of PVC pipe so that the knob was more secure on the shifter. I just recently decided to go with the automatic shift knob and it works so much better. I went with a MOMO automatic shift knob that I got from eBay.

#153 ·
does anyone know whats underneath the little popup panel, to the right of the shifter directly across from 2nd gear? that little circle looks like a great place for a button for the OD. I popped it off but didnt see anything, any reason it wouldnt work?

#145 ·
@ CJohn364

Looks really great, is there a write-up on here somewhere so I can do this as well. I've been wanting to change that stick for ages but didn't find anything as good looking as this.
Thnks in advance.

#148 ·
I had a civic before, ATX. I put the same exact shifter on it, except I put a leather boot on it too, and it looked exactly like a manual. Cop pulled me over for chirping the tires off the line, and he let me off when I told him I let off the clutch too fast haha. It helped to mitigate some of my deep emotional frustration with having an ATX. too bad I still have one now too :( at least the new fofo ATX shiftknob is good looking and not 8 feet tall like before :)

#150 ·
It might be a dumb mod to some people but IMO the stock shift T handle is fugly

I had to do a few things to mine to get it to work.

Once i cut the shifter down and bolted the new handle on my key wouldnt come out. I had to clip one of the wires going to a switch inside the shift mechanism now it releases the key.

Its really similar to a stick now though, i can move it in and out of gear with the car off or move it to different shift positions without pressing the button.

I relocated the O/D button on the stock shifter to a new location

#151 ·
Yours looks good, also. I had to use a grommit or something similar to put on the shifter to fill the gap so that the orange marker still showed what gear it's in. I had some issues with my key coming out as well and that was the issue. Once I put the grommit in, no issues. I relocated my OD button on the left side of the center console between the shifter and ebrake. You can see it in the lower right corner of this pic:

#154 ·
Believe it or not, that is a small access port. It leads to a small lever that you can depress using a long screwdriver or something similar in order to unlock the shifter. Like if your car is totally dead, but you need to put it in gear. You can use a screwdriver and press that lever and put the car in neutral.

#156 ·
Yeah i think you can just poke your key in the hole and put it into N to get it off the roadway or something if it stalls or if you dont have the keys. Say if some one leaves it in the way but its not something most know about. It says what it does in the manual but its not something most commonly know about.

#155 ·
ok thanks. darn, that wouldve been too perfect.
so to take a guess, is there an "outer tube", and and "inner tube" to the shifter? and the "inner tube" gets pushed down when we push the button in, which lets us shift?

Im trying to understand what makes it work so i can decide which style shifter i want to use. Id love to use the ball as i could make it shorter, but if i have to ill take one with a button.

#157 ·
From the stock T handle, you will have three parts. The outer sleeve, which is part of the T handle, the metal shaft of the shifter itself and then a plastic rod that runs down the center of the metal shaft. The plastic rod is what gets pushed down in order to unlock and shift the shifter.

#158 ·
I seen this one at walmart a few weeks ago and i busted out laughing. So i bought it and i actualy like the way it feels better then the first one i put on.

I decided this time to cover the shaft with some silver foil tape just to make it a little different.

The way the skull is shaped your fingers roll around the back of it and the size seems perfect for my hand.

Im handicapped in a wheelchair so i have to use an ATX and hand controls to push the brake and gas pedals. I relocated the O/D button to the handicap control lever. I also installed fog lights and put the button for them next to the O/D button.

#163 ·
lol thats prolly whats gonna happen with me, but well see how it goes.

and ok thanks anyways

#164 ·
Do you guys use the O/D button alot?

Not sure how you guys do it but i turn my O/D off most of the time then when i speed up an onramp to get on the highway i flip it on and it then shifts into overdrive.

It seems a little more peppy with O/D off how about you guys?

#167 ·
finally got around to doing mine. i still havent found a perfect fit grommit, but i found one that was pretty darn close. these are the measurements that were on the shelf label:
inside diameter 1/2"
outside diameter 13/16"
groove diameter 5/8"
groove width 1/16"

hope that helps.

Reactions: CJohn364
#169 ·
Is it possible to just shorten the stock shift knob and leave the OD and thumb button intact? I don't want an after market shift knob, just to shorten the stock a couple inches. I hate how high it sits.

Please forgive me if this was mentioned somewhere in this thread. I read the first 4 pages and got sick of reading ranting.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.