Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Basic Bolt Ons: Cat back exhaust systems

116K views 185 replies 73 participants last post by  Vip_Focus 
#1 · (Edited)
The next thing most people install on their cars is an aftermarket exhaust to help it breathe better to free up a few ponies as well as give it a sportier tone. Headers are covered in a different topic. All these models will fit all Duratec motors unless otherwise specified. The only exception are those with the factory 06-07 Street Appearance Package which may require a little modification.

Common brands are:

Magnaflow

Borla (discontinued)
Trubendz
MBRP
FocusSport regular and stealth models
F2
NEW!Ford Racing (2012 Only)

"Lunchbox delete"

There is also always the option of having a system custom ran at a local shop. Make sure you are specific about exactly what you want done so you don't end up with a cheap muffler and 1" rusty tubing.

There are many issues to discuss when talking about cat back systems. Here are a few of them.

SOUND
One thing an aftermarket system will always have over stock is a distinctive sound. Sound is a personal choice, whether you want it to be loud and deep or quiet and rumbling, there is a cat back setup for you.

Many systems are much louder than stock. When this becomes a problem especially when combined with a race header, you have a few things you can do to quiet your system down. FocusSport offers a stealth option which adds a larger resonator to the system, Trubendz offers the ability to customize your set up by choosing your own muffler and resonator.

PERFORMANCE
This is to me one of the most important aspects of a an exhaust system. To start with, when choosing your setup, you need to take into consideration some of your future plans. If you are planning on staying relatively mild and just using bolt ons, then a 2.25” system will be more than enough for you. However, if you plan on a serious N/A build or the use of forced induction, a 2.5” system will provide much better gains. Borla, MBRP and Trubendz make the best 2.5” cat back systems

PRICE
Cat back setups can run anywhere from $125 all the way up to $650, its up to you what you want to spend. The gains are not increased by spending more however the advantages of Stainless Steel (especially in northern climates) are well worth the money.

LINKS:

Trubendz Exhaust System Install on a 08' Sedan

Exhaust Videos and Sound Clips

Comments, discussion, and corrections welcome!

See less See more
Reactions: jaqworld
#3 ·
Correction: Focus Sport Stealth does not add a resonator, as the Sport model has a resonator. It changes the resonator to a much larger one. Some people have described it as having 2 mufflers instead of a muffler and a resonator.

#5 ·
No, but it is generally recommended. It will "get used to it" faster if you do. Otherwise, it may run somewhat less than ideal for the first tank of gas or so.

#10 ·
The standard recommendation is to reset the pcm every time you mod anything. I started my post with "No" and that's the real truth. Sorry about that. Any slight adjustments necessary should be made instantly. It's really your driving style that the PCM adapts to, which is expedited by a reset.

#12 ·
Can i suggest adding a section about fitment, like how the SAP needs an extension to fit properly, and how zx3/5 exhausts wont fit zx4s without an extension.

Evan, i see you have been listening to The Lonely Island haha. flippy floppies...

#34 ·
So what I am gathering is that the truebendz 00-04 2.5" piping will work with my wife's 05 ST, but I may need some extra piping?

at 200 bucks for the SS, I would be inclined to double it and just get the f2 setup... or save some money by going custom like I did on my prelude.

I thought we had agreed that 2.5" is best for any duratec (at least 2.3) even with only minor mods.
I see there is some debate here... I would think 2.5" would be marginally better on a mild build (but I am thinking from 2.2L h22a VTEC perspective...). It might not do much, but it won't cause a drop in low/mid range torque with the 2.3L, will it?

As I said above, at the 200 price I'm tempted to just have a crush bent 2.5" custom job done (the one on the lude is beautiful...)

the 2.25" mandrel bent might be about as good as 2.5" crush bent... but again the custom piping should save me some cash...

I'll probably go with a magnaflow muffer from www.hottexaust.com (I've bought from them and they seem to have good deals...)

I will probably get a high flow OBDII compliant cat from them as well, and prob squeeze a straight through resonator on it to mellow it out... (the lude was ridiculously loud before I added a 16" resonator...)

This is in the more distant future... not much $$ to waste now with my wife's medical expenses, so for now I am going to do the custom SRI... at almost 50,000 miles that "lifetime filter" has to go...

#13 ·
my price comparison
magnaflo
2008 L4 2.0L; Coupe
6 x 14 in. Muffler, 2.25 in. Tubing, Rear Exit, 3.5 in. Tip, 15864 $616.53

Mandrel Exhaust Systems
front pipe $35
front pipe with cat $100
exhaust tubing kit $120
magnaflow cat converter $75
resonator $70

MBRP nothing on site for 08

fswerks formerly focus sport
2008 Coupe & Sedan Exhaust - 2.0L Duratec FS022D(Q/CC/CCQ) $349.95

#15 ·
my price comparison
magnaflo
2008 L4 2.0L; Coupe
6 x 14 in. Muffler, 2.25 in. Tubing, Rear Exit, 3.5 in. Tip, 15864 $616.53......
Hey kevin24018, I have the magnaflow 15864 just installed and I love it, they are cheaper on ebay but I wanted a warranty(salt in winter kills an exhaust) so I got it here. magnaflow 15864, or you can try one of the vendors here, they are always running sales/specials. either way its a great system and very easy to install.

[thumb][thumb]

#18 ·
they just haven't updated their catalogs, big deal.

what honhon was saying is that "according to FocusSport, the part # for their '08 exhaust is the same number as their ZX4 exhaust. That being true then you can order a ZX4 exhaust from MBRP and it will fit your '08 just fine."

#21 · (Edited)
pit exhaust

anyone ever heard or knows anything about a ''Pit Rally Catback Exhaust'' for the zx4? i found one online on horepowerfreaks, but for some reason the site is down. but anyway, i was wondering if its a realtive fit, this kit claims to have multiple applications, its 2.5' tubing with a 3.5' exhaust, looks good, but i need more info on this first!!! thanks guys!

#30 ·
Okay here are the vids I promissed. Remember my car is turboed. I've heard the same exhaust on a N/A setup with the factory exhaust mani and cat. Its a bit louder on the N/A setup

Cold start

In car window down

In car window up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.