Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Raced a Mercedes, lost BAD!

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Goat Roper 
#1 ·
Well, it wasn't a "real race", no drag strip, or anything like that, just a traffic light, and two lanes merging into one onto the freeway.

I came up next to this Mercedes and was deciding whether to follow this guy or just blow around him. His car didn't seem too fancy, heck it only had one letter and two numbers: E55; curiously on the other side of the trunk were three more letters: "AMG".

Whatever, my grandmother drove a mercedes and this guy is probably on a cell phone and won't even notice the light change. Well it changed and I "TRIED" to zip around this guy and . . . he didn't walk away from me, no he RAN away from me, he just boogied like nothing I had ever seen.

I did everything right, perfect launch, correct shift points and this guy's "little old ladie's" car just smoked me horribly.

So, I did a little research: the E55 AMG, according to edmunds.com, is one of the fastest mercedes ever built. It's got a supercharged 5.4L V-8 that makes 470 HP and 516 fl/lbs of torque.

Damn, can I pick my fights or what.

See less See more
#4 ·
As I began to read your post, I knew why you lost so badly and was going to say that the E55 is one bad MF then I got to the last sentence where you looked it up .... yeah, this is not your grandmothers Mercedes lol ,,,, pun intended :)

Even though those cars weigh 4500+ pounds, they haul some major a$$!!

#6 ·
Just a little tidbit for everyones future reference to avoid such embarassments, there are only 8 out of 39 current production mercedes that we can possibly beat. Oh, and looks can also be misleading...in the off chance that you see one of those really "boxy" looking benz SUV's, dont race it, it has 470 hp.

#7 ·
Hey don't feel bad, I didn't know what it was and was going to look it up before you explained it. They put out so many diffrent models of cars I don't even try to keep up with them or Lexus, just too many diffrent ones for me to waste my time on finding out what's what. Hey next time try sneaking up on a Viper or the new Mustang GT, you might have a chance with one of those.

What does one of those mercedes go for?

#13 ·
Yeah, the AMG would be like the SVT is to Ford. I guess the price really depends on the model your looking at.

#15 ·
I worked at a mercedes dealership for about 2 1/2 years. I always got to test out the new toys. Just before, I left. I drove a 2k4 E55 AMG. It was 130k. Oh man was that thing fast! The tires couldnt even hold it in a straight line. The traction control light would come on. [:D] So, yeah dont mess with benzos that say AMG. Even the newer mercedes without the amg are pretty damn fast.

#18 ·
Hmmmm, now just imagine what could be done to a SVT Focus for what the AMG costs ..... I'm thinking 800+ HP small-block V-8 Twin Turbo AWD ...... ok, I know, getting a little carried away LOL

#19 ·
with that kind of money you could probably convert a focus into a little mercedes LOL

which makes a lot of sense since the focus already has superior handling compared to most cars in its class.

I am so in Love with my focus that I intend to keep it for the next 10 years and slowly mod it to oblivion (including transmission and engine swaps).

#20 ·
Kind of reminds me of my race against an F355 (in my mod'd SHO), I knew I had no chance, I just wanted to hear and see this thing take off. To my surprise I stayed close enough to read his plates until the light changed in front of us.

The best place to get experience against the big boys are "track days" at places like Road Atlanta or Elk Hart Lake. At IRP I was able to get laps with recently retired Nascars, NSX, Vipers, Porsche Turbos, an absolute blast. The best part was smoking the guys in their mid-late 80s Porsches with the old Ford. "Take that you snotty wanna-be" [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.