Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Stating

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  focusmaniaczx3 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 svt with a few bolt ons i went to the track for the first time yesterday and ran terrible time (17.2 and 17.3) i was nevous but what is the best way to launch

#2 ·
How was your launch? If you got a lot of wheel hop and/or had traction problems you should back off the initial starting RPMs. I have not run an svt, so maybe an experienced svt member can chime in, but my generic advice would be to hold the clutch in and hold the rpms at about 2000-2500. Let the clutch pedal up when you see the third yellow light on the tree (our cars are not really fast enough to wait until you see green; by then you will have a slow reaction time). If you want to power shift from there on I would at about 5800. You can adjust your launch up/down in starting rpms according to how your traction is.

#5 ·
I broke my axles on the second launch. I went up to 3krpm and dropped the anchor and snapped the passnger side axle at the cv joint and broke the clamps on the driver side replaced one to get the car driveable just waiting for the next axle now, i put them in early december. I dont think my car can handle digs... so i dont think ill be trying that anytime soon. but yea my time could have greatly been improved i was slow off the line. First time i ever did a dig.

#9 ·
Flat foot and slip the clutch, don't dump it. You want grip, not tire spin/wheel hop.

I use a different method in my tune, tq limiting. I've got it set so I can go WOT right off the line and not spin one bit, though power is reduced.
I have to get my 2 step setup better this year.

I did consistent 2.3 60' (5 runs within .03 of eachother). Best of 14.9 in the 1/4.

#12 ·
2 step, 5.5k
I drop the clutch, because with my tune I can
RPM drops to ~3k
Spark backs off commanded to limit TQ
Hit about 7k and full spark returns
Grab 2nd, 3rd and full spark

Like I said, it's a tune I made to not spin and actually get somewhere on street tires.

#11 ·
If I remember the svt makes 85% of its torque by like 2500. I ran a 15.4@89mph in my svt swapped zx3. I dont remember a 60ft though, maybe 2.4 was my best. This was with a orp and a diablo tune and a clutch masters stage 3. I ended up ripping the drivers side motor mount completely off the frame rail and destroying the other two mounts as well.

#13 ·
wow im surprised by this. those arent very good times for a SVT and im also surprised you broke axles. you should make sure you use MOTORCRAFT replacement axles. the autozone brand axles are junk and will break. i have hundreds of launches on my zx3 and never broke an axle from any launch at the track whether i took off spinning or not. i dont have any 1/4 mile times but i have 1/8. my zx3 did a best of 9.8 with a 60ft of 1.9 on 18x7.5 wheels with regular street tires. ive tried probably a dozen methods for launching and my favorite is to launch from about 3500-4k rpm (2 step or feathering the throttle) pull the ebrake, and when the first yellow comes on start slipping the clutch while holding rpm steady just to the point before it drags the back tires and let the ebrake out at the same time that i start to gradually let the clutch out and gradually put the throttle to the floor just after the last yellow comes on to launch.

the only mods to my car at the time when i ran the 9.8 were full bolt ons, tune, 18x7.5 wheels, removed back seat and passenger seat, hood, and front bumper. i only got the 9.8 and 1.9 60ft once and after that i hovered around a 2.0-2.1 60ft with 9.9-10.1 1/8th for the rest of the night. with full interior and exterior i consistently get 60ft between 2.0-2.2 with 1/8th between 10-10.2

the purpose of the launching method i described is to pre-load the suspension for the launch so you arent wasting power/energy from the launch to squat the rear of the car and you can control wheel spin much better with this method. it takes ALOT of practice to nail down and is very similar in concept to foot-brake launching an automatic. this method can be very very rough on your clutch so if you are squeamish about the proposition of doing a clutch job this method probably isnt for you.

i found out early on that launching by dumping the clutch from any rpm above 3k and spinning all through 1st is a waste of time. my 60ft was around 2.4-2.5 launching that way.

edit: ah crap i just remembered that i had a LSD back then so my argument is partially null and void. LSD helps with launch tremendously!

#14 ·
When i broke the axle it was a empi axle and i was told they are great axles. Since i have my oem axles still i plan on going and geting those rebuilt along with an lsd in the future. Right now i have an advanced autoparts axle in the car on the passanger side. I think what killed it on launch was all the awful wheel hop i got, i never spun tires traction control always kicks in even when i have it disabled.

#15 ·
for starters, i dont know whether empi axles are any good or not but im going to go with probably not. there used to be some 300mm billet axles available for about $300 per side but they have long since disappeared. you wouldnt want those anyway because you will never break one of them. instead you would bust your transmission case. other than the billet axles i have never heard of anyone having better luck with anything other than motorcraft axles. we have a guy that ran a 600whp focus on slicks for hundreds of passes on stock motorcraft axles before breaking one. replaced it with an autozone part and broke it very quickly afterwards. to my knowledge he went back to motorcraft and has had no more issues. i wouldnt run a rebuilt axle either. try to stick with NEW motorcraft axles and you should be okay.

wheel hop will break stuff thats for sure. check the condition of your ball joints, control arm bushings, and front shocks. if any one of those are worn out it will make wheel hop worse.

and yes traction control is a bitch. im pretty sure you have to have an actual tune to really turn it off. cant say for sure though since ive not done any of that with my SVT. mine is strictly a daily driver. i dont beat on it and it will never go to the track except to spectate LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.