Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Mis-Shifting

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  FocusOnMeNow 
#1 ·
Ive gone to the track a few times and it seems i cant not miss a shift. Is there anyway to minimize this? I have the poly dog bone mount already but the driver sidde mount is a new stock mount and the passenger mount is the orginal mount thats blown. Will that cause my mis-shifting? Will all poly mounts help? THANKS

#2 ·
Driver Mod?

To be serious, are you pushing the clutch in enough? Are you releasing the clutch to early? Are you trying to shift too quick? Is the shifter Base Mount broke? I see alot of these on the manual focus that seem to get broke when people ram jam the shifter.
Does the transmission shift smoothly outside of racing?
What type of fluid are you running in the transmission?

#3 ·
Yeah, im pushing the clutch all the way and im try to race so yeah im shifting quickly. The shifter base aint broken either. As for the shifting during normal driving, yes it shifts fine outside of racing and the fluid is whatever Tom recomended when i swapped in the new engine. The only thing blown is the passenger motor mount.

#4 ·
Honestly, go out to a T&T night and just makes some passes. Start off granny shifting and shift a little quicker with each pass. Most likely what's happening is you're trying too hard. I don't jerk and slam the shifter when I race. My elbow stays pretty much still near the e-brake and I just wrist it. Nice smooth shifts. I hold a little pressure against the shifter so that when I press the clutch I have a little momentum to the next gear.

It's kinda hitting the ball in golf. If you try to kill the ball with your swing, you're not going to land where you want to. A nice smooth but quick swing is what's necessary. The same for shifting.

#5 ·
The night i went to the track, i did that. I tried shifting fast and i would miss 3rd only, then the next pass i would miss 4th only... Then i tried shifting slower and i would be passed in the time it took me to shift. One thing i have noticed is when i get on it only, it grinds a little going into 3rd. Could that have something to do with it?

#6 ·
That grind is sign of a bad synchro, something the MTX-75 is notorious for.

Don't worry about getting beat. If you miss a shift, you're really gonna get beat. Take it slow and get a routine down, and then you work on making that routine work a quicker and quicker.

#7 ·
What clutch? Chances are good that clutch is getting too hot. How does it shift on the return lane? Normal or notchy?
If it shifts fine on the return lane then it just sounds like a foot-hand timing issue, and that just takes practice.

#9 ·
Its a centerforce dual friction and i was practicing with some "spirited" driving on the back roads around here and i couldnt miss shift... yall are prolly right, its prolly me being all nervous and letting go to early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.