Focus Fanatics Forum banner

A close call with a sleeper

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Red97sc2 
#1 ·
this morning I was driving to college and at some lights I stopped next to a 96-98 white civic DX hatch with an exhaust. So I thought well is a weakly Civic DX so I think I have a chance. The light turned green but he did not take off at high speed but at third gear he stomp on the gas so did I, but I sttoped because there was another red light and cars were in front of us. But the weirdest thing happened, as he was revving his engine during second gear I heard the sound of a blow off valve and I was like man I'm dead. Well we could not race because cars were always in front of us, but I guess he got mad 'cause he followed me allk the way to college but we never got to race even though I know that I would lose, but it was a pretty close call was in it?

#4 ·
LOL, I've had that feeling before. I think it was the time I revved at a Mustang that looked like a GT Wannabe V6 to me. And when he revved, well, it's quite obvious, the sound difference between V8 and V6. Needless to say, I conceeded.

That would've been interesting to see what that Civic could do, but yeah, you would've had your ass handed to you.

#5 ·
I no longer fear boosted Civics. I went to the track (1/8 mile) and raced 2 of them when it was my first time there. My very first run ever was against a turbo '95 Civic DX and I ran a 12 something and he ran a 13 something. The next Civic was the same and I ran a 11.3 and he ran a 11.0. Needless to say, just bcuz they're boostin, doesn't mean they can drive. I know both those civics would've killed my with a good driver.

#11 ·
Exact same thing happened to me...I was driving with my friend and we spotted a white Civic DX with a big exhaust so i pulled up to it and at green we went. Unfortunately I did race him, and at the next light (where he was waiting a for about 10 seconds for me) all i saw was him laughing and shaking his finger at me....and the guy was like 60 at least.

#14 ·
dwdgsi03 said:
I think he was revving to let you know that you ****ed with the wrong civic. Did you have that "oh shit" feeling in your stomach?
YUP! I felt like that I wanted to see how fast he would go but never got the chance to see. Although before he wefollowed me by the next 20 miles all the way to college, but before he left he stompped the gas and it was loud and fast I don't think I would stand a chance.

#16 ·
i posted on here my experience with a nsx...talk about getting smoked...lmao..had to try though....i got spanked by a 98 maxima that looked totally stock except konig rims....found out later the car had a vortech kit and a crap load of internal work...boosted people should have to put a warning sticker on their windows....but ill race anything...fk it ..its all in fun...only worry when their is money or slips involved[paranoid]

#17 ·
i learned along time ago to watch out for civic hatches in my area. in seattle, we have a very big import scene, and many of the civic hatches around here are SLEEPERS. we're talkin type-R and GSR motors in a good 80% of them out there. the 2 doors and 4 doors around here seem to be all show, no go. but i watch out :D just wait til next week when the turbo goes in :D.

#18 ·
As far as turboed civics go. A single cam turbo is very slow unlesss he has some other stuff done to it. One of my buddys has a 95 si hatch SOHC witha lot a stuff done to it. He raced a 96 turboed dx with full exhaust and intake and won by like a half a car. Both of them can drive very good. He wants to race me. I may just to see what happens.

#22 ·
CAIS95 said:
i posted on here my experience with a nsx...talk about getting smoked...lmao..had to try though....i got spanked by a 98 maxima that looked totally stock except konig rims....found out later the car had a vortech kit and a crap load of internal work...boosted people should have to put a warning sticker on their windows....but ill race anything...fk it ..its all in fun...only worry when their is money or slips involved[paranoid]
My most fun kill ever was an NSX. I do auto brokering for people, and I was driving a 93 Porsche 911 C2 back from Boston. I finally get to the gate at the first toll booth in NY, and notice an NSX pulling ahead to the left, and then see about 25 of them in my rear-view. Must have been the NY NSX club. Pulled out with another guy to my left, we nailed it from about 15MPH, and the 911 totally pulled on him by a car length by 90 (which came very quickly). If you have never driven a 911, those flat 6s are torquey as hell.
Sold it 3 weeks later ($4500 profit), but I think about it all the time, and can't wait to get another Porsche...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.