Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Drag Start

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Z_interactive 
#1 ·
Which is the best way to start a drag.

Rev the engine to around 4000-5000 rpm and then release the clutch.
Or start easy[werd] without tyre spin.

I think it's better to start easy but I don't have experiance and I really want to know because in videos almost every car that spin tires is slower at the start.

#2 ·
tire generate maximum traction (which = acceleration) at a small percentage of wheel spin (related to slip angle). for street tires it might be as high a 15%, for race tires it can be as low as 3%.

now, the tricky part. 15% spin (or slip as it is also known) is not very much. It is one extra rotation for every 7 normal tire rotations. if viewed from the outside it shouldnt look like a spinning tire (with the smoke and noise) it should look like a tire that is just about to start spinning. now this was just technical talk.

the bottom line is dont try to spin the tires, try to make them stick.

when i launch at auto-x (which can be similar to a drag launch) i usually only rev to about 3000 to 3500, and slip the clutch a little. hmm just noticed you have a 1.6L. well your car might be a little different. you really just need to practice, practice, practice, and dont spin the tires.

hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.