APIM Error? Failed update. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 340658
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE

Points 29, Level 1
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 1 BananaDonk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
APIM Error? Failed update.

Hey FF crew,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 2013 SE with the standard stereo system (SYNC Basic according to my Ford page). I was logged into owner.ford.com sometime last week and it told me that I needed to update my SYNC software. OK, no problem.

I downloaded the update, followed the instructions, and nothing ever happened. After I selected "Install Application", it just went back to playing music.

The next time I turned my car on, I have no Media or Bluetooth functionality AT ALL. Just Radio and CD. Anytime I try to select Media or Phone, it just mutes for a second, and goes straight back to the radio.

From what I've gathered searching around, this seems to be an APIM issue. Does this sound like something a Ford dealership could fix, or should I start shopping around on eBay for a new APIM? Would this be a free fix through Ford if it CAN be fixed? Taking it to a dealership isn't the most convenient option for me, but if there's a decent chance they can fix it, I guess I'll have to make the drive and find the time.

I'm pretty ticked that something Fords own website told me to do is causing such issues, but I've had the past few days to swallow my disgust so I've got that going for me.

I've tried disconnecting the battery (once for 15 min, once overnight) and it hasn't made a difference.

ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Focus Hoarder

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 03 XType - 06 SAP ZX4 - 02 Wagon SE

Points 4,527, Level 42
Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 62 ArcticMynx Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
Call the dealer and check.. if they ask for the car to check it you make sure your not paying for the visit and see what they say.. they may be able to track it..

im not sure how the radios update i personally dont own one and probably never will ill stick with my android app radios xD does everything i need and even had the same options as sync. (that and all my cars are pre 2008 so none of them even had sync LOL)

2003 Jaguar X-Type - 2002 Focus Wagon - 2006 Focus ZX4 SAP
Old 02-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 29, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMynx View Post
Call the dealer and check..
It's on my to do list but life's getting in the way of their 9-5 schedule.. and honestly, reading this forums is usually far more helpful!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Focus Hoarder

Points 4,527, Level 42
Level Up 89% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
yeah usually is.. something like that is a per user case tho.. im sure searching you will find alot about it and theres a few wars going on about particular updates etc etc.. i remember reading a few threads someone was pushing an update on the focus sync that was ment for the escape sync unit... half were for it saying its fine the other half was against it the entire thread was all very perturbed sync owners waiting for an update delayed how many months.

heres a question how does the update start like how do you transfer the files... USB key wifi cell phone etc etc?? and have you tried downloading a fresh copy on another USB key? maybe the copy you had was bad or the key had issues... i do know my Jaguar media center doesnt like some USB keys.. it will read and start playing files then start spazzing out but if i copy the exact same files onto say a different key they work fine.. when i checked the key i was using was FAT the newer key was FAT32. same with my external harddrives one would seem to work you can see the files but nothing played or ran but if i ran it from another brand it works fine both were ntfs??

>.< i wish i could offer more assistance but again none of my cars have it and hopefully chatting in here gets other peoples attention to read it

Old 02-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 340882
What I Drive: 2014 Red Ford Focus SE

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Revilo17 Good Standing Member
I just updated my car a few weeks ago, 2014 Ford Focus SE with basic Sync only 4.2" screen. It took me about 10 mins and the radio changed settings a few times but it eventually said update successful and then I turn my car off and on. Before the update my Bluetooth audio just said Bluetooth audio on the display and after the update it now displays the song title and artist name. I used a SanDisk Ultra 16GB USB 2.0 drive when installing the software.
I suggest calling the dealer or retrying the install again from the start and using a different USB drive. (Working in computers install windows from different USB actually made a difference)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 29, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
heres a question how does the update start like how do you transfer the files... USB key wifi cell phone etc etc?? and have you tried downloading a fresh copy on another USB key? maybe the copy you had was bad or the key had issues... i do know my Jaguar media center doesnt like some USB keys.. it will read and start playing files then start spazzing out but if i copy the exact same files onto say a different key they work fine.. when i checked the key i was using was FAT the newer key was FAT32. same with my external harddrives one would seem to work you can see the files but nothing played or ran but if i ran it from another brand it works fine both were ntfs??
Yep, just from a normal USB flash drive thing. I'd try a new USB, but to install the update, you have go to into the Media menu to tell it to update.. and I can't get into the Media menu. As far as my radio's concerned, it's just a radio and CD player, all Media/Phone functionality has either disappeared or is no longer functioning, even at the Menu level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revilo17 View Post
I suggest calling the dealer or retrying the install again from the start and using a different USB drive. (Working in computers install windows from different USB actually made a difference)
Yeah, looks like I'll be finding time to deal with the dealer. At this point, reinstalling isn't an option because I no longer have the ability to go into the Media menu to tell it to reinstall the update. Thanks anyway!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Focus Hoarder

Points 4,527, Level 42
Level Up 89% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
can you get to System settings on the menu and if you can there is a setting called a master reset inside it it SHOULD restore your sync back to factory

System Settings -> Advanced -> Master reset and see if it helps if not same menu but instead of master reset try Factory Defaults

also reading, pulling the battery doesnt change the settings it just reboots the system

Old 02-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Points 29, Level 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
can you get to System settings on the menu and if you can there is a setting called a master reset inside it it SHOULD restore your sync back to factory

System Settings -> Advanced -> Master reset and see if it helps if not same menu but instead of master reset try Factory Defaults
Unfortunately, the Master Reset option is in Media settings.. and since I don't have access to the Media settings, a Master Reset is also not an option

I've ordered a used APIM off of eBay for $25.. wish me luck!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #9
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 31,343, Level 100
Points: 31,343, Level: 100 Points: 31,343, Level: 100 Points: 31,343, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 133 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
There's a fuse pull option for complete reset, easier/better than battery disconnect.

I don't remember details not owing one, seen this mentioned around the forum more than once.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 02-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
Focus Hoarder

Points 4,527, Level 42
Level Up 89% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
grins is it bad i want to buy a mytouch and a sync system just to toy with it on my bench as see how it all works.. im sure i can repair those modules i just need an actual full working unit to reverse engineer..

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.