Focus Fanatics Forum banner

MFT amp question

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Abra Cadabra 
#1 ·
What stops people from removing the amp that comes with the MFT system? I understand that there is some weirdness with volume control and how the radio doesnt actually power the speakers directly. why couldnt you remove the factory amp, then hook up your new amp(s) to the outputs that go to the factory amp?

#2 · (Edited)
You'd lose all volume control. You'd have to replace the video and headunit, and then you'd lose doorchimes and all MFT prompts.

So basically, you either ditch the entire MFT system and run your own 100%, or use the factory amp as a signal processor, add your own amp and/or line converter after the OEM amp, and roll out.

#5 ·
Not unusual. Hell back in 2004 all the door chimes for my Chevrolet Colorado pickup were sent through the factory headunit, which is just hte amp inside the headunit, so same/same only without a little bit of added complexity a decade later.

#7 ·
I taped my to the underside of the radio, and covered the speaker hole with box stuffing taped down....

That kit was LOUD even with the little tab cut to quiet it.

ANYWAY, my plan is to locate an aftermarket amp output harness to splice into the speaker outs, run these to an AudioControl LC7i feeding a 5 channel amp(JL XD1000/5v2?), good components front and rear doors, and a pair of 10's and amp rack in a false floor installation. Carry a spare in the trunk on road trips, a can of fix a flat otherwise. Easy peasy, probably q few weekends of work, but the money...

Wife would kill me if I spent that right now unless i flip some parts to pay without going out of pocket. [boxface]

Similar to this, but Focus, and less professional as I'm certainly no pro:

#8 ·
It'd be awesome if someone made a converter similar to the ones for gm vehicles, except with amp outputs. one that would allow us to keep the factory radio, but remove that amp without losing any functionality.

The Sony system sounds good for what it is, but it doesn't really get that loud, and I hate hearing that amp compensate for everything by changing up the eq a little bit.

#11 ·
The components were picked based on size then the speakers were RMS matched, not going to win any stereo competitions with the 5 channel JVC amp but it fit perfect and sounds way better than stock. I didnt like stacking the amps but it was the only place to put it. It has been this way for awhile with no issues from heat. The amp is digital and not crazy high power so it runs fairly cool. Everything fits nicely under the factory floor. You cannot tell that its there.

#12 ·
Moved to Car Audio, SYNC, MFT & Electronics for a better fit and easier searching.

As far as I understand it, the LOC (line out converter) option answers the question of retaining the stock system while changing to your preference of amp(s) and speakers.

#18 ·
It does solve that problem. Its just that you're still receiving signal from the amp instead of getting it from the radio itself. The amp does a lot of odd signal processing that is very noticeable at higher volumes. But it also does the volume control, and the voice prompts. I always thought that the voice prompts and volume adjustment was done at the radio. From what I understand now though, it is actually done at the amp.

I was hoping they had something similar to the gm door chime thing, that could take the place of the factory amp. It would do the prompts and volume adjustment before sending it all to the amp outputs. This way would leave the signal mostly unadultered other than volume adjustment. We also wouldn't have to deal with the factory amp cutting out frequencies that it doesn't like.

I'm really surprised that they don't have anything like it already. I'm pretty sure that all fords with MFT have a similar setup.

That way it would go
MFT radio > adapter device > aftermarket amp(s)> speakers

Instead of
MDT radio > factory amp > LOC(s) > aftermarket amp(s) > speakers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.