Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Android radio

64K views 208 replies 42 participants last post by  stefcio007 
#1 ·
Hey all

I wanted to post some info on a radio I bought off ebay.

It is an OEM style radio that fits the dash of my 2014 se 5spd.

Attachments

See less See more
#148 ·
#151 ·
#153 ·
woah, found one of those 10"+ units.
Seems the HVAC controls on screen are a bit of a waste since you have buttons below it.
Wow, pricey for something unproven. I would be really curious if it actually did the HVAC stuff or not. With no pictures of the backside I'm skeptical.

#156 ·
Can you unlock any of these radios to sideload a different ROM onto them? Has anyone tried that?

#157 ·
Whole community. https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto
I go by the same username.

As far as I'm aware you have the actual system software you see which is pretty much the same across every unit, I think there's two major custom ROMs.
Then you have the MCU firmware which is VERY specific to your unit and you must be careful when flashing as it handles all the communication between the unit and your car and all the hardware it has.
I have successfully flashed the system software to update the look, haven't done MCU as I don't want to risk bricking my unit.
I have an MTCD unit.

#161 · (Edited)
I bought an android unit for my VW passat, worked great. I would not hesitate to get one for my focus. Sound was great, look was better than stock.

Eonon was the brand I bought, but from what I understand one company makes these and then are just rebranded by other companies to make them their own.

I wish eonon had a version for the Focus, Get this folks.. I bought a radio from them on a Tuesday and by Thursday it was in my hands. I kid you not, and it came from China... according to the tracking number anyway.

#163 ·
#164 ·
So a coworker bought an Android based OEM replacement unit off eBay for his BMW 5 series in December. Worked great and he was so happy. I hop in his car yesterday to head to lunch and the head unit powers up....and then locks up. He's all pissed off and said it's been doing that for a few weeks. I couldn't resist. "I told you so."

And I've been telling you guys that here too. I hope nobody here has any issues with theirs. But these no-name Android head units have been around for many years. I've had countless ones brought to me to install and I've seen a ridiculous failure rate on them.

#166 ·
I don't recall saying I've never once seen a failure with brand name stuff.
I've seen a ridiculous failure rate on them
That's what I said. Meaning, the rate of failure on these is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than brand name stuff. People always get defensive over whatever they own. I hope you continue to have great results with yours. I'm not wishing anybody any bad luck. But I've had triple digits of these through my hands and I'd be a real jerk if I didn't share my opinion on them. You know... what a message board is all about...

Yesterday's encounter just reminded me of this thread. That's all.

#170 ·
My OEM Ford radio would lock up too, I didn't consider that a complete failure.
Often when taking calls it would just get stuck and stay on the call screen, no controls would work.

At least there's a huge community of support for the Android stuff on XDA.

#171 ·
Help!!

8 Octa Core Android 6.0.1 Car DVD Player for Ford Focus 3 2011 2017 with Bluetooth GPS WiFi Radio-in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

I purchased this exact unit and received it in the mail yesterday. So today I decided to install it. Everything was going smooth until i turned it on and heard no sound!!!!! I don't know what to do!! If anyone has any solutions please let me know. I have the Sony Premium Package in my car and a guy at the stereo shop told me it might be due to the fact that the radio and the stock amp are not talking with one another.

Anyone run into this issue?

#173 ·
8 Octa Core Android 6.0.1 Car DVD Player for Ford Focus 3 2011 2017 with Bluetooth GPS WiFi Radio-in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

I purchased this exact unit and received it in the mail yesterday. So today I decided to install it. Everything was going smooth until i turned it on and heard no sound!!!!! I don't know what to do!! If anyone has any solutions please let me know. I have the Sony Premium Package in my car and a guy at the stereo shop told me it might be due to the fact that the radio and the stock amp are not talking with one another.

Anyone run into this issue?
Some of the units I've seen advertise that they are NOT compatible with cars that have premium sound.

#178 ·
I''m not a big fan of chinesse electronics ...
As with everything, you get what you pay for. Just about all electronics are made in China now so I don't mind. I always inspect the quality of the work ad make sure it gets the basics right in design. Yes, there is stuff you should stay away from, but that's why there's a whole product review system.

#180 ·
My screen died a few days ago. Thing is a paper weight in my car now

I still have all my stock stuff but its a project to get it back installed. Smh
Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.