Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Android radio

64K views 208 replies 42 participants last post by  stefcio007 
#1 ·
Hey all

I wanted to post some info on a radio I bought off ebay.

It is an OEM style radio that fits the dash of my 2014 se 5spd.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The radio was plug and play.
The steering wheel controls work!

My car HAD sync, but this is much better.

Does mirroring, and you can control your phone via the screen.

The canbus on it senses when you go in reverse. You can set it to mute the sound, display review camera etc

#5 ·
Thanks for posting this, few questions:

How long is bootup when you start the car?

Have you tried streaming audio from an iPhone via bluetooth? Can you set it so the bluetooth automatically pairs on startup?

What happened to right steeringwheel paddle that you would pull to tell sync to listen to voice commands? Does it serve an alternative use now or just does nothing?

Is there a graphic EQ in this that works across all audio sources?

Some of these I've seen the edges of the screen are cutoff by the trim, does that happen with this unit at all?

How is the navigation? Any comments on it appreciated.

#6 ·
my car must be slightly different than yours. I have a 5 button circle on the right of center side of my steering wheel. The center button on that activates sync, ironically if I press it, it says "sync please say a command", but since I took out the display unit it doesn't "hear commands", I don't know if you could keep sync, you'd have to make a harness to plug the old display into.

I don't have an Iphone, I have an android based galaxy S5; it works great, and it automatically pairs when the unit is turned on. I usually stream amazon music, you can control the phone via steering wheel (skip songs).

The unit takes about 45 seconds to boot up (probably less), I can time it later.

the navigation that is built in uses igo primo, it is a hacked version. It works great! I was able to get updated maps (free) on gpspower.net. I only updated the Wisconsin map so far, but I can get them all.

I don't notice any screen being blocked by the bezel.

There are a couple of things:
1) the radio reception isn't the greatest; you have to change the bands from europe to US.
To do this you need to access the factory settings with password: 126
once there you can change the frequency bands, car logos, and other things. After doing this the AM was still weak. There is also a power port to power the antenna (on the car) I connected that to a switched fuse via a TAP.

2) the unlock light doesn't work on mine, so I can't tell if the doors are locked.

#7 ·
Quick question, does it support native Android auto? I've been trying to find an elegant Android auto solution for my 2015. I want something that replaces and eliminated the small screen on sync equiped models.

#21 ·
How did you mount it on the wheel? Does it have a tun of slack in the cable so the wheel can turn lock to lock without interfering or did you know some trick I don't know about. I can't imagine putting a mic on the wheel without a rat nest of cable hanging to deal.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Few Questions (looks like my system is a bit different but wondering about these things) :
1) How did you hook up your steering Controls. I did get a canbus but still unsure.

2) DOes your hazard and lock switch work correctly? The harness they sent doesn't fit the new piece they sent (WTF) but fits the stock ford hazard switch

EDIT: i ordered from a ebay AD that showed the exact radio you have but i received what you see above. A matte trim radio while you have gloss.

You posted a link to a matte radio but you received a gloss trim radio.

Also, mine has the hazard/lock buttons up top.

These ebay ads pictures are all screwed up.

#24 ·
yours is significantly different than mine.

As far as the locks; mine just had a plug-no extension, but it would have been easier if it did. I didn't think the plug would fit, but it had a matching notch so it could only go in one way, The lock light does not function on mine.

the steering wheel controls were pretty straight forward; plug from the old screen goes into the matching plug/pig tail, pigtail into canbus, then into unit. The pigtail has 2 rca plugs on it; this has to do with sync retention; I might be able to figure out how to keep sync but I haven't played with it.

#25 ·
The hazard/lock harness is a pretty small wire length. Did you have any trouble getting it to reach the destination plug?

and

Ahhh, my old screen plug is still hanging free behind my radio. Ill have to take alook @ it again soon as my reverse camera comes from China and i rip off the radio again.

Thanks for the helpful reply!

Reactions: FocusND
#26 ·
I got everything working and would like to confirm there is no lock light at all. It's just a white dot there so I think it was made and designed to just be a dot and no light shine through like factory.

Second. My steering wheel controls work perfect now.

Thanks again

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

#28 ·
One thing that bothers me is the FM radio works but some times its fades to slight static then back to full radio,

There is no AM radio at all because the harness provided only has 1 connector which i chose to use for FM.

Other than that this is a awesome system. Just installed WAZE and going to love using this now,

edit: Did some searching and found this: BINGOOOO> I didnt connect the blue wire to anything.

Method 3: This unit radio adaptor which has blue wire,you need connect it to +12V to enhance signal.

#38 ·
Would you happen to know which 12v source you used? Also, im guessing you had to extend the wiring for this?

#32 ·
I think they are all the same pretty much. They have windows ce 6.0 ones which are no frills radio/navigation system.

Then you have android radios which you can add pretty much any android app you want,

I ordered the cheapest android one i could find. I think it was $319 and $75 shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.