Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Crackling radio problem on my 2012 SEL.

375K views 534 replies 178 participants last post by  Focusfann 
#1 ·
I noticed a few months ago while I was driving my radio would randomly just cut out and the entire radio would completely lock up. Before it cut out, it would make a horribly loud sound. Restarting the car would fix the problem. It starting happening more and more and now my radio is completely useless. Now there is a constant noise that sounds like whistling and crackling and it doesn't stop, even if the volume is down and the radio is off. Even turning off the car won't make the noise stop. When this is happening the entire radio locks up. I ended up just pulling the fuse so I don't lose my mind and my eardrums (the noise gets incredibly loud at random times). I plan on taking it to the dealer, but I just wanted some input from you guys. I managed to get a video so I can show the service department.
Here's the video:
http://youtu.be/KD1lC5BwCm0

#206 ·
Hello, new to this forum and trying to figure out how to use, lol. But am having the same issue pops cracks hissing and blowing my ears out. I am very disappointed in my focus as I am a first-time ford buyer. I have a 2014 Focus 44,000 miles, purchased used in May 2016 and never had a problem with the radio until I took it in to fix (July 2016) the trans/clutch/reprogram issue. Does anyone think that this might be the issue?? Something went wrong during the fix of the trans clutch problem?? I am really starting to wonder. What is your thoughts?? Could there be a correlation??

#207 ·
No more relation than getting a new headlight bulb - hey, they're both electrical.

Audio electronics aren't related to the rest of the car's systems except for a speed sensor reading for volume control/GPS if equipped.

Not an unheard of issue as you can see by this thread.

#210 ·
Hello all,

About a month ago I have been having the same problem with my 2012 Ford Focus. I just took it to the dealer and they told me the whole radio is dead and it's going to cost $450. Does anyone know if it's possible to just get a electronic shop install a new one for cheaper?

#219 ·
Don't go aftermarket, you might loose some features.

Do not pay the dealer for this as they are not doing anything to help this wide spread issue.

Hey shebahen,

Have you checked to make sure the SYNC software is up to date? If not, check it out here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Cara
You have not helped one person with this radio issue in this thread. If the radio is dead what will a software update do?

New radio will be needed!

Thank you! This sounds like an easy, (maybe temporary fix) until the next one craps out. Any idea what focus years you can use? Or do you need to just pull it and get the model #?
Again, Do not pay the dealer for this as they are not doing anything to help this wide spread issue.

See post #197 -

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...5-crackling-radio-problem-my-2012-sel-20.html

#212 ·
2013 Ford Focus Radio No Longer Working,

I have a 2013 Ford Focus and my radio no longer turns on. I have the factory sync radio in my car and the only thing the screens displays is the time, date, and temperature. It started with my radio shutting off but if I turned my car off and then on again the radio would restart but then I started getting this static sound in my speakers, and now my radio no longer comes on. The only buttons that work on the menu is the time and date. I was told by the Ford dealership that it will cost 120.00 to diagnose the problem and I am hoping to avoid that cost. Any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#215 ·
I have a 2013 Ford Focus and my radio no longer turns on. I have the factory sync radio in my car and the only thing the screens displays is the time, date, and temperature. It started with my radio shutting off but if I turned my car off and then on again the radio would restart but then I started getting this static sound in my speakers, and now my radio no longer comes on. The only buttons that work on the menu is the time and date. I was told by the Ford dealership that it will cost 120.00 to diagnose the problem and I am hoping to avoid that cost. Any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hey shebahen,

Have you checked to make sure the SYNC software is up to date? If not, check it out here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Cara

#217 ·
Just took my 2013 focus in for my radio
Problem. Sounds the same as most here. Started popping and crackling. Going off and on and then loud popping when the car is off and key is out!! Creepy! I pulled the fuse months ago! Ford said they would have to replace the whole radio for 550.00. Charged me $60 to pull it out to check it. It looks like this is a very common problem judging by this forum and several others. I have driven much older cars and among other things going wrong....the radio worked perfectly. Why would my radio go bad after 3 years? This is a ford problem. I've driven fords in the past and never had an issue. I loved the sporty body style of the new focus, but I'm starting to regret it. I certainly don't want the To replace with another bad system. Had anyone had any luck getting ford to help with this?

#236 ·
Made the redirect for this a "stickie" in the MkIII problems section.

We have other older threads on the noises when car is turned off version of this failure, but this is the most active thread on the issue.

#239 ·
FordIVteam/Cara - I'm sure that you're doing your best to help within your job capabilities, but that's not useful to these members posting here.

They've got no programming issues (your main help function) OR issues with a Dealer (where you can refer people for help/register complaint).

What they want to hear at the least is that their contention is being forwarded to Ford for consideration, even though you customer service folks can't approve individual fixes for something out of warranty (except in particular exceptional circumstances).

Most have likely never had a factory audio system fail in the past, unless it was an issue with an old cassette drive or a CD loader. Random major failure when the car is still quite new in their eyes is a shock, more so when they hear the bill to repair.

With full aftermarket replacement systems in the same price range as a single bad Factory module - however good that's SUPPOSED to be - it doesn't make them happy with perceived quality and service.

As an individual event it could be written off as a fluke, but with communications these days they may hear from others or Dealer personnel that it's not uncommon then come here and find a long list of folks with the same problem.

Ford already had a service program out for another component to this system that had early failures, probably more under warranty as well, and they feel ignored with this one that's becoming all too common.

The disconnect in the system which is the most frustrating is that each of these folks would have to pay for Dealer diagnostics, be told they needed a $500 repair, contact Ford Customer service to ask for special consideration through Dealer and/or directly, just to get another complaint into the system.

Looking at the other reports here, there is little incentive to pay $50-$100 for diagnostic fees just to be told that there is nothing Ford will do for them in even partial compensation for this failure that seems all too common.

I'm sure they all would like a free replacement, but they're not even being offered a half price deal as some partial help. Often when extended help IS offered, the manufacturer will pick up part or all of the parts bill even if labor isn't covered.

Again, the key point is that without spending $ on nothing by the car owner the "system" won't even record the issue for statistical review. ONLY those who pay for diagnostics or full repair get their complaint/required replacement into the system data. Without the actual number of complaints recorded, the problem continues to look smaller than it is and there is less chance of any Ford assistance.

This is NOT like the transmission issues where ALL with a serious complaint have nowhere to go but a Dealer for resolution. Unhappy customers can do a J/Y fix, or replace the unit entirely with an aftermarket one. Since this interactive electronics system was a large selling point and expense when the car was purchased, the whole issue leaves a bad taste in their memory - little trust for future sales claims of a wonderful experience.

Even taking names & info. from unhappy owners would be a start, they REALLY want to be heard and have their issue acknowledged even if they don't get an individual resolution. At least SOMEONE listened!

Tx for your reading, I hope at least minimal communications between customer and manufacturer can result from the chat here on this problem.

#241 ·
Hey sailor,

I have already passed on the issues and frustrations that have been posted regarding this issue. However, it's important that you all, the customers, voice your concerns as well. When I refer the social site, most people pass on making their voice heard. This is a great site that is viewed by our engineers and other team members. As I mentioned above, I'm more than happy to get you looped in with the CRC team when dealers refuse to help at all. I hope that with my voice and yours, we can get these issues fixed for you all and not burn holes in your pockets. If anyone needs the social site again, the address is http://social.ford.com

Cara

#242 ·
Thank you.

It's not the direct help yet many are looking for, but it's very good for folks to hear that their concerns are being passed on.

I can understand the lower value placed on "social media" information, numbers are discounted to a high degree due to the reputation for people with an agenda to Spam their postings. We see that here on some issues to a degree, the blatant ones who make multiple posts/duplicate ones on the same day get the duplicates removed. Anything obvious that just clogs up the Forum with the same info. repeatedly posted gets dealt with.

IDK how well it would work it's way through the reporting system, but if I had such a concern personally a report through the customer service system would be an attempt to get it listed by name and VIN. (proves numbers/item for statistics)

Might not have a Dealer diagnosis to back it up with detail, but would at least possibly list it as a system failure. Explanation that diagnostics were quoted as a specific charge and the item would not be warrantied might be adequate to start. Then see what response comes of it.

#243 ·
I am having the same problem with my 2012 Ford Focus. I took it to the dealer to have them look at it, and they said it was the audio control module. It's going to cost $800 to replace just the part. So I am going to bestbuy to have them replace my whole stereo for cheapier. We'll see if it works.

#244 ·
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with about 45,000 miles on it and I am experiencing the same issues as everyone else. It first started when my radio would unexpectedly cut out. I would have to stop the car and turn it on and off again for the radio to turn back on. Then my radio stopped working all together. I would click the "on/off" button and the screen would animate the radio opening but it wouldn't play any sound. After a couple weeks the issue stopped.

A few weeks went by and I was heading to an event for my job. I pulled off the highway into a parking lot and all of a sudden, at full volume, static flooded my speakers. I slammed on my break in confusion. When I realized it was the radio I turned it off but the noise continued. I had to turn my car off and open the door for it to stop.

Ever since then the radio will work fine and then a loud unexpected "thump" will happen and the radio will not play any sound. This past weekend the issue escalated. I now have constant static on full blast WITH THE RADIO OFF. It sounds like the old AOL dial up noise. It cuts in and out. All of this after I have been dealing with transmissions issues. I had to get the electronic clutch replaced three times.

I feel unsafe in my vehicle. I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow however I do not think it is fair that people are being charged for the issue. This is not something preventable or something that I could have done. What do you think my best course of action should be?

#245 ·
I know we've been beating the Ford reps up the past few days....but the safety concern is real. Imagine yourself cruising down the highway at 70mph and out of nowhere you're blasted with 130db of static. It's going to scare the piss out of you. Slamming on the brakes, grabbing the steering wheel, whatever. Even simply taking your main attention off the road is an unsafe position for Ford to put us in. And once you start talking about safety concerns and people's lives possibility being lost, it's recall time.

#247 ·
So, I need to add my 2 cents to this conversation. Both my son and daughter purchased a 2012 Focus after I purchased my Fusion. All of us love our cars but I think I enjoy mine more than they do these days. Both cars are experiencing the exact same issue with the radio. It is exactly how others described the problem, popping, crackling, and then the radio goes out until the car is turned off then the radio will come back for a short time before it's gone again. My son's car will make noise even when it's shut off now and my daughters car lost her radio completely about 2 months ago. My daughter took her car to a dealer (not the one we purchased it from) and they told her that it was out of warranty and would cost about $800 to fix. I made an appointment to take my son's car in to our dealer (where we purchased the cars) on Thursday. My son's car in addition to having the radio problems now has lost the horn function too! In reading through all of these complaints I see that this issue with the radio (and there are reports on the horn going out also) have been reported since the 2012's were rolled out! This tells me that it's a systemic problem with the model and with the added issues of the horn (and now the check engine light is on even though it was just in the shop for the transmission recall 3 weeks ago!) I feel/think that there is a major electrical problem with this model that needs to be addressed by Ford Motor Co.!

#248 ·
Useful 2 cents for the radio module issue, for the rest you're adding 2+2 to get 45.

There are strange things that can happen with these new cars where much is run on a computer communications system(s), but much is still fairly simple and segregated.

Reminds me of long ago when a Dealer mechanic was tearing apart the dashboard and suspected the radio for we blown fuel pump fuse. Explained that "it's all electrical, so it's all connected". When he actually LOOKED at the fuel pump module the intermittent short to ground was obvious. Later recalled so Ford payed back the $600 in diagnostics that were not needed.

Horn is a fairly common issue, for most it's right at the horn connections that tend to collect water and corrode. Alternative is horn button and wiring for some early models, but that shows as horn working EXCEPT when button pushed.

CEL is obviously an unknown hint to an issue until code is known.

Downside these days is that you are VERY close to being correct in that being a possibility. Working "radio" computer systems that include remote access by phone type hookups for remote computer control CAN cause multiple systems to react to outside control. Poor security has allowed takeover of car functions by an outside hacker. Ford hasn't had this issue proven, but others have.

#249 ·
Consistent radio issues now no radio replacements?

So for the last year I have had the same problem as what seems thousands upon thousands of people, my radio crackles like crazy and then just cuts out now being unusable, yet it seems nothing can be done! I took my car into Ford to a diagnostic and like a fool I paid the $100 to be told I need a whole new unit. Now when I even consider paying the $1000+ I am quoted for all parts, radio, labor, I am told they are discontinued and nobody has them, can anybody clarify on this??? Maybe a Ford Sync rep???

What the hell can I do to fix this problem!?

#250 ·
So for the last year I have had the same problem as what seems thousands upon thousands of people, my radio crackles like crazy and then just cuts out now being unusable, yet it seems nothing can be done! I took my car into Ford to a diagnostic and like a fool I paid the $100 to be told I need a whole new unit. Now when I even consider paying the $1000+ I am quoted for all parts, radio, labor, I am told they are discontinued and nobody has them, can anybody clarify on this??? Maybe a Ford Sync rep???

What the hell can I do to fix this problem!?

#255 ·
Same problem on the Fiesta...

I'm having the same radio problem listed here on my 2012 Fiesta S. I've only owned it for a few months and It has just under 60,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer about another issue and had them look at the radio and wanted $800+ to replace it. (That's like 15% of what I paid for the whole car!) The car is less than 5 years old and the radio needs to be replaced??? The dealer made it sound like this was a routine thing too. Why on earth would I want to spend top dollar to replace a part that is expected to fail again? I can't afford to replace the radio every few years! My previous car was a 1988 Dodge Aries (K-car) that had the original radio which ran just fine!

#258 ·
I'm having the same radio problem listed here on my 2012 Fiesta S. I've only owned it for a few months and It has just under 60,000 miles on it...
Hi Meagan,

I'm having the same crackling issue with my 2013 Ford Foccus. I've only had it for a year and it has about 88,000 miles on it...
Hey guys,

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. Please PM your full names, VINs, dealers, and best daytime phone numbers. I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist.

Meagan,

I have already did this, the ran a diagnostic and did some system updates...
veedo123,

Have you considered to taking your vehicle to another Ford Dealer to get diagnosed? If not, you can find one, here.

In the meantime, I’ll be happy to document your product feedback. Please PM the information I requested above, and I’ll make sure it’s noted! [:)]

Tricia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.