Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Crackling radio problem on my 2012 SEL.

375K views 534 replies 178 participants last post by  Focusfann 
#1 ·
I noticed a few months ago while I was driving my radio would randomly just cut out and the entire radio would completely lock up. Before it cut out, it would make a horribly loud sound. Restarting the car would fix the problem. It starting happening more and more and now my radio is completely useless. Now there is a constant noise that sounds like whistling and crackling and it doesn't stop, even if the volume is down and the radio is off. Even turning off the car won't make the noise stop. When this is happening the entire radio locks up. I ended up just pulling the fuse so I don't lose my mind and my eardrums (the noise gets incredibly loud at random times). I plan on taking it to the dealer, but I just wanted some input from you guys. I managed to get a video so I can show the service department.
Here's the video:
http://youtu.be/KD1lC5BwCm0

#111 ·
Only direct replacement seems to be another factory out of a similar trim Focus.
Some here have had luck getting a cheap one from a junkyard/auto recycler.

#113 ·
Curious if anyone ever found a fix/solution to this problem? My radio/audio controls are possessed. They make crackling, popping and whining noises. Even when the car is off and the key is out of the car. This continues while Im driving and quite frankly it's terrifying. I just bought this car used 3 months ago. (August 14). Already I'm on the wait list for a new clutch and had to have a speed sensor replaced. Now this. I didn't have this many issues with my '99 ZX2 I traded in....and drove for 13 years. I don't ubderstand all the issues with this vehicle. To me, Ford has made numerous mistakes with this vehicle. But Anywho... Has anyone successfully had this fixed? And if so-- what was the fix? I see pages and pages of videos and complaints of this exact issue online.... But I don't see where ford is even acknowledging this is an issue.

#114 ·
I have a similar problem with my 2010 Focus SES with Moon and Tune package. The front passenger speaker and rear drivers side snap crackles and pops like rice crispies, and the rear passenger side speaker makes burping/farting noises instead of bass. The only speakers without issues are the front driver side and the factory subwoofer. [mecry]

Another issue since day one is that any volume past halfway is completely useless. Rather than raising the volume past half, what it does is trade bass for treble, and anywhere past 2/3 it just sounds like ass.

I'd buy a new head unit if I knew this would solve my issues but with the rear speaker making farting noises, I'm concerned that the actual speaker might be fubar.

#120 ·
Yes I have been experiencing the same problem and stopped at the dealer the other day and they are 15 days out before I can get in. Not happy at all...
My son called. Lives 2 hrs away. Said about a month ago his(my) 2013 Focus speakers started crackling and then shut off completely...
Hello Ford Fam,

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives that will be on this forum from time to time.

Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll be happy to check the available resources on my end! [:)]

Tricia

#117 ·
My son called. Lives 2 hrs away. Said about a month ago his(my) 2013 Focus speakers started crackling and then shut off completely. I have found many sites and pages of this issue. Is there a particular 2013 Focus TSB I can quote the Service Mgr when I take it in? It is less than 3 years old but has 40,000 miles. So I don't want to hear "Sorry, you are out of warranty" seeing as I have 5 Fords in the driveway all purchased new.

#118 ·
They don't care, the dealer in Georgetown Tx. wanted 1166.00 to buy a new radio. So go to a local sound shop and spend the money on a better radio rather than fords pos. Also I had them disconnect the fuse to the radio to shut it up. Use your cell phone for the music or talk radio in the mean time is my honest advise. Ford made a product that wasn't made to last more than 3 years (the radio). While my car was there I had them look at trading in the car for another vehicle and they came back 7500.00 for trade, man this car has lost a lot of value. So that is my 2 cents worth.

#123 ·
You have got to be kidding me! This chaotic static issue began 2 days ago just for a second here or there and turning the car off and back on fixed it, now Its happening all the time, even when the radio is off? I'm outside of warranty and cannot afford a $90 diagnostic fee or a massive repair bill! If so many people are having the same issue with the same vehicle will they just fix it?

#127 ·
They also gamble that some people will stay loyal regardless.
Sorry all makes have there issues.

I'd rather spend $45 bucks on a replacement from a junk yard than deal with it longer while begging and waiting for Ford to fix them all.

#129 ·
I believe they have the internet and telephones in most places now.

#131 ·
All, took mine in for them to check out. Of course, never happened the entire week they had it. I played with it the following weekend and figured it out. First, there was no crackling, just nothing from the speakers. Ran it for an hour with radio on, trying to get it to overheat or something. Nothing. Then while running the engine, I plugged an Iphone into the USB. Hooked up but speakers went silent. Changed to radio, CD and everything else. Nothing but silence. Restarted car with the iphone already connected and worked fine. Unplugged and replugged while running and back to silence. Called my CSR and he said sounds like the PIMM or DIMM or something like that. I am going to bring back in and then show them. Tricia, I will contact you with all pertinent info prior to dropping off. Thank you very much. BTW, they checked for SYNC updates when it was in and it already had the latest program installed.

#132 ·
I think there is something to this. Mine seems to act up mostly when I am using the auxiliary input.
Just swapped to a '14 radio and I'm having issues. Volume and other things don't seem to be working, either it's a bad radio, or I think the pin layout may be different.

#133 ·
Ok so apparently '13 and up radio's aren't compatible with the '12's.
Sucks cause there's a good chance a replacement '12 radio will eventually crap out.
I really hate to spend the money on an aftermarket radio and adapter kit and stuff. But I want to fix it for good.

#134 ·
I am having same issue

My radio will do a loud pop and then cut out and now when i turn on radio it is a loud popping crackling so loud I feel my eardrums about to explode, I quickly turn off the radio but the crackling and popping are still going on but luckily at a much lower decimal. I have a call into my dealer I am sure they will charge me another 100 dollars to diagnose it. I have spent so much money on this car It has been IN the shop as much as it has been in my driveway. from transmission, catalytic converter, power steering and now the radio. I am at my wits end with this car I bought it used with extended warranty but I feel I made worse decision of my life with a lemon car [mad]

#136 ·
My radio will do a loud pop and then cut out and now when i turn on radio it is a loud popping crackling so loud I feel my eardrums about to explode, I quickly turn off the radio but the crackling and popping are still going on but luckily at a much lower decimal. I have a call into my dealer I am sure they will charge me another 100 dollars to diagnose it...
Welcome to the community, ddhunni! [welcome]

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. What’s the mileage on your Focus?

In the meantime, I recommend taking your vehicle to a Ford dealer to get diagnosed. Please make an appointment here. I’ll be happy to check my resources at that time! [:)]

That really sucks.
Fortunately for me my car has been flawless, with this one exception.
Hello Gi_Jo_Nathan,

There’s nothing wrong with being a hands-on person. If you get stuck on anything, and change your mind about going to the dealer, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist! [:)]

Tricia

#135 ·
That really sucks.
Fortunately for me my car has been flawless, with this one exception.

#137 ·
It happened the same with my radio on a Focus 2012 SE, 52.000 kilometers (32k miles), and after a month of completion of the auto warranty. Went to my Ford Dealer Agency here in Guadalajara, México, but they wanted to charge 900 pesos (50 dollars) just for the review. I went home and took the Torx keys and I started to remove the radio, until I got to the motherboard, I took it completely and I could see overheating in two places. Also, the paste to avoid overheating in the left base was very little and a yellowish color. Thoroughly clean the card with a product to clean electronic parts ( silijet here in Mexico ) and added new pasta bought at a place for computers. This paste is that used in computer microprocessors.
I joined all over again, and Voala! I have three weeks without the annoying sound , squeaking and blackouts in my stereo.
I apologize for my bad English

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.